What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've never tried reading a book online, for me it would be a last resort, I love the feel of books. There's nothing better than getting a really good book and getting cosy and warm in your favorite chair, get yourself a drink and a piece or two of chocolate. Lovely.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I currently, slowly, reading Michael Sragow's biography on Victor Fleming: American Movie Master. It's pretty good and very well researched.

Angie--if you read this--he's had nothing but glowing words for Clara Bow. I'm at the part now about their relationship.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Finally finished Orson Welles: The Road to Xandu (Simon Callow), which takes us from his birth to the release of CITIZEN KANE. Fascinating book on The Great One, though I must admit that the "radio years" dragged for me. Once it got to the conception and creation of CITIZEN KANE, it flew. And that Herman J. Mankiewicz -- what a wit: "i am very happy to accept this award in mr welles absence because the script was written in mr welles absence" (the undelivered acceptance speech for the Academy Award he shared with Welles for the CITIZEN KANE screenplay).

In the interest of always trying to read three books at once and taking forever to finish them, I'm in the middle of I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: Life, The Big Lebowski, and What Have You; Orson Welles: Hello Americans (vol. 2 of Callow's bio); and, Despite the System: Orson Welles Versus the Hollywood Studios.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ChiO - I've been slogging through Callow's book as well, and I've finally put it down in frustration and dissatisfaction.

Much too fussily detailed, and much too interested in who was gay and who was not, to the point of irrelevance. I got the distinct impression that Callow had a not too secret agenda of trying to demonstrate that Welles wasn't such a big deal and doesn't deserve his legendary status

This isn't necessarily a bad thing in a biography, but I felt that Callow was really reaching in most of his criticisms, and as far as I'm concerned, whether Welles deserves his status or not, Callow didn't really make his case. For example, I interpreted quite differently what John Houseman said about Welles in his (Houseman's) memoirs. To me, Callow's tone verged on the spiteful. Did Welles step on his foot at a cocktail party or something?

I won't bother reading the second volume. There must be bios of Welles that better serve him, even if they don't approve of him.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Judith: Take a look at Discovering Orson Welles (Jonathan Rosenbaum), wherein Rosenbaum has a review of three Welles biographies, including Road to Xanadu, each written in '95-'96. He makes a similar point about Callows' book. But I remember reading elsewhere (www.wellesnet.com maybe?), where Rosenbaum praised Vol. 2.

Rosenbaum's general thesis is that there are two approaches usually taken in writing about Welles: (1) boy genius who made CITIZEN KANE and was a failure thereafter, and (2) genius who lived up to CITIZEN KANE's promise despite others' efforts to thwart him. He considers, as I recall, Vol. 1 as being in the murky middle and leaning toward the former, but Vol. 2 being in the latter camp.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

As soon as it arrives at my local library, I'll be reading the newest John Grisham novel, "The Associate". I've read all 19 of his books to date and haven't found one yet that I didn't enjoy thoroughly. The funny thing is, that even though most of his works involve the legal profession, my favorite work by Mr Grisham is "A Painted House" which couldn't be more removed from a courtroom. It's easy (for me at least) to see why he's the best selling author of the last twenty years.

As always,

Hollis
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Right now swtiching between Mary Astor's My Story and A Life on Film. My Story is a delicate balance between slightly scandalous revelation and coving tracks. I think remarkably frank in discussing her alcoholism and I knew nothing about her Catholicism. A Life on Film is more fun since there is a bit more dish in it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I really want to read Miss Astor's books---I like her personality so much just from the bits I've read. Michael Sragow (Victor Fleming)quoted from her a point-by-pont account of filming a "steamy" love scene between her and Gable in Red Dust. She had a wonderfully dry sense of humor, which even comes through some of her performances.

I can't believe after all this time I still haven't read her.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

MissGoddess wrote:I really want to read Miss Astor's books---I like her personality so much just from the bits I've read. Michael Sragow (Victor Fleming)quoted from her a point-by-pont account of filming a "steamy" love scene between her and Gable in Red Dust. She had a wonderfully dry sense of humor, which even comes through some of her performances.

I can't believe after all this time I still haven't read her.
Oh, me too. This is my first time with either book and I absorbed every film bio I could find when growing up (and our library was really well stocked). I think both are worth seeking out .
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

After about 5 months and so many distractions, I finally finished Lee Server's bio of Robert Mitchum. He was even more of a scamp than I knew, but I think I would have been like Jane Russell and liked him anyway. He pulled a lot of silly, childish, and irresponsible pranks in his time, but, if he respected you, he could also sit down and have deeply serious and intelligent conversations about sensible things. Because of this inept memory I have, I often had to re-read sentences, paragraphs, pages, and even full chapters to absorb them. Add to that my granddaughter going in the hospital every couple of weeks because of strange fevers, and my sister being, to everyone's surprise, on hospice for over a month now, life has been more of a bowl of pits than cherries.

I also have Servers' bio on Ava Gardner which I'm starting tonight. I want to see if he writes hers in the same way he did Mitchums'. I'm not sure I like the film by film description as life progresses. I would like to know a little more about their life off the screen.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Anne, sounds like you've had a tough time these last couple of months. I hope things get better for all of you.

BTW I agree with your assessment of Robert Mitchum, I liked him too. Darn good actor too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Birdy »

I just read Charles Higham's book Ava on Ava Gardner.
I didn't go looking for it, just bumbled across it and thought, 'why not'.

Does anybody have any opinions of him as an author?
I didn't feel like he knew her or really tried to get to know her, but instead just put together a
collection of stories and quotes about her. He presented more than one side to most of the
stories, though, and told how many of her reported antics were publicity stunts or out and out lies.
Has anyone else read this or something better about her?
B
charliechaplinfan

I read her autobiography a few years ago and I have Lee Server's book on her ready to go, I liked his book on Robert Mitchum. I'll have to move it up my list then we can compare stories.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks - I'll be interested to hear. I think I may try to read her autobiography soon. It makes me want to read Sinatra and Rooney and some other's stories to compare stories. They were some pretty wild times, no matter which the version!
B
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Birdy wrote:I just read Charles Higham's book Ava on Ava Gardner.
I didn't go looking for it, just bumbled across it and thought, 'why not'.

Does anybody have any opinions of him as an author?
I didn't feel like he knew her or really tried to get to know her, but instead just put together a
collection of stories and quotes about her. He presented more than one side to most of the
stories, though, and told how many of her reported antics were publicity stunts or out and out lies.
Has anyone else read this or something better about her?
B
I might pick up a Higham book strictly for the entertainment value of his purple prose, but I would immediately discount about 85-90% of his purported "facts." I think of his books as gossip columns, rather than biographies. Fun, but not very reliable.