The Royals!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
feaito

Re: The Royals!

Post by feaito »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Fernando - Frederick and Mary are the Danish heirs; Norway has Haakon and Mette-Merit... All four are very good-looking individuals, as are William & Catherine...
Sorry for that unpardonable gaffe Larry (especially since I am fond of the subject of Royalty, their history, families et al)...indeed you are right. I always tend to confuse Norway with Denmark... :? ....I think that Denmark's Fredrick and Mary cultivate a low profile (I don't know if I'm phrasing this right in English but we express it this way in Spanish: "cultivar un bajo perfil"). And yes the Windsor and Oldenburg-Schleswing-Holstein couples are good looking.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Good Morning Fernando,

It is easy to confuse some of these young royals and their countries; and yes, you have conveyed your thoughts properly in English....

On another subject:
Princess Lilian of Sweden has died at 97. She was the aunt of King Carl Gustav and was a very elegant woman - a glamourous royal. She was married to Prince Bertil.

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Good Morning Fernando,

It is easy to confuse some of these young royals and their countries; and yes, you have conveyed your thoughts properly in English....

On another subject:
Princess Lilian of Sweden has died at 97. She was the aunt of King Carl Gustav and was a very elegant woman - a glamourous royal. She was married to Prince Bertil.

Larry
Thanks for the feedback Larry.

97 years old....that's a long life. To think that my beloved Luise Rainer is 103 years old....

Re. royalty and nobility. I remember that in the 1990s my wife's uncle, who was a diplomat and lived many years in Paris, shared some anecdotes when he mingled with that set in the many dinners and soirees he had to attend; he mentioned la Princesse Murat and many Comtesses and Marchionesses that went to such gatherings. In fact both Chilean ambassadors with whom he worked during that period of time, were married to European titled ladies: a Dutch Baroness and an Austrian Archduchess. When he was working in the Chilean Embassy, the last Empress of Austria (Zita) died and she was the grandmother or greatgrandmother of the ambassador's wife...
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Zita, I've just been looking at a book on Amazon about her, I think I'm going to download it before I go on holiday.

It's hard to keep track of all the royals and how they intermingle. It's nice to see other countries mentioned here not just the British ones. We have a fair few 'royal bashers' as I'm sure every country with a monarchy will have but I believe they make a difference, they make more difference to good will and trade than any of our politicians would do. They foster good will in most people.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree Alison.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Alison:
The name of a great book on Zita is: "The Last Empress" by Gordon Brooks-Shepherd.. It has a picture on the cover of her in her coronation robes and crown.

Fernando:
I cannot help you with the Dutch Baroness and the many Comtesses (there are a myriade of those!!); but the Princess Murat was Caroline Murat, born 1 year before me (1941) and whom I met once with her 2nd husband, Miklos Klobusczki (?).. His mother, the Hungarian Countess Julia Maria Apponyi, was a friend of my grandmother and we met many times in Paris. I think they were all friends of the Gabors too; I know Magda knew them.

The Archduchess would be Alexandra, a granddaughter of the Empress Zita. She was married to Hector Riesle Contreras, the Chilean Ambassador to the Vatican.
Her father was Archduke Carl Ludwig, 4th son of the Emperor Carl and Empress Zita; and her mother was Princess Yolanda de Ligne...

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Our dear Larry sure has a knack of understanding Royalty and its amazing that he can grasp the whole picture and put it in Easy English for all of us here to understand ... I find his in-depth fascinating and to the point. Thanks Larry for doing this for us! :)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Erik,

Thanks for those kind words...

On April 4th, I go to London for a Royalty conference (held every April) with about 186 so called 'Royalty Nutters'...
In October every year, there's another one with only abpout 70 of us...
It's for people interested in royalty worldwide, and people come from all over.

Since my grandmother once moved in those circles, and I did also to a certain extent, I have been interested in many of them. The British, Russian, French, Danish and Greeks I am pretty familiar with; and some of the Italians too. But, the Germans are quite a mix-up, as are most of the Italians because there were so many little Principalities and Duchies, etc....

Larry
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

There were so many small principalities in Germany and Italy it's just impossible to keep track, even if you know something about them. I'm reading quite a good book at the moment about George I's mistress Melusine or The Maypole as she was christened, George's family is so confusing, there is a case of 2 sisters having the same name plus all the women seem to be prefixed Sophia. There is a lot of turning back to the beginning to refresh myself with the family tree and trying again.

Thanks for the book tip Larry, I appreciate it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi, Fernando:
I cannot help you with the Dutch Baroness and the many Comtesses (there are a myriade of those!!); but the Princess Murat was Caroline Murat, born 1 year before me (1941) and whom I met once with her 2nd husband, Miklos Klobusczki (?).. His mother, the Hungarian Countess Julia Maria Apponyi, was a friend of my grandmother and we met many times in Paris. I think they were all friends of the Gabors too; I know Magda knew them.

The Archduchess would be Alexandra, a granddaughter of the Empress Zita. She was married to Hector Riesle Contreras, the Chilean Ambassador to the Vatican.
Her father was Archduke Carl Ludwig, 4th son of the Emperor Carl and Empress Zita; and her mother was Princess Yolanda de Ligne...

Larry
Thanks for the feedback. I remember that our uncle told us that the Princess was quite a unique character. She's s descendant of Napoleon's General Murat; Isn't she?

A yes your dead right on Alexandra & Héctor Riesle; they lived in Santiago de Chile for a while and she was a noted hostess and held many charity events and balls. She cultivates a very low profile. My uncle liked her very much.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Yes Fernando, Princess Caroline Murat is a direct descendant of Joachim & Caroline Murat, the former King & Queen of Naples. Caroline was Napoleon's sister.
Actually, they were better rulers of Naples & Sicily than the Bourbons they replaced; but after Napoleon's defeat, they were replaced once again by the Bourbon rulers (Ferdinand & Maria Carolina, Marie Antoinette's sister)....

Alison - it is always nice & helpful to have a genealogy chart handy when reading about royalty. They all end up with the same name(s)...
I go crazy with all the Victorias, Marias, Nicholas' and Alexandras.....
That's why I don't want the new Cambridge baby to be named any of those!!!

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the further information Larry.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote:Thanks for the further information Larry.
Me too! :)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

The British newspapers and the betting establishment are going crazy with names for the Cambridge baby.
Nobody knows for sure what the gender is - but - the odds on favourite is that it is a girl, named "Alexandra".

I would be OK with that, as Queen Alexandra was an exemplary woman in British history. She advanced medical care for ordinary people and aided nursing education for women. I believe she helped 'prop up' the monarchy when Queen Victoria largely retired and became a recluse for 20 years after her husband died.
Alexandra was one of the first to appear out-and-about among the public; and it didn't hurt that she was a very good looking woman and charming too...

I still prefer Eleanor for a girl's name, but will go with Alexandra if chosen...

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi,

I still prefer Eleanor for a girl's name, but will go with Alexandra if chosen...

Larry
I will be happy (I love both of those names dearly) with either one of them ... and as the world's awaits!