This week on SVENGOOLIE...

RedRiver

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by RedRiver »

I've almost said too much about William Castle. He's a personal favorite, though some of his movies aren't even good. They're just fun. They remind of more innocent times. Whatever your idea of cheezy, this qualifies! Interesting that you mention MR. SARDONICUS. That's one of the few Castle shockers I haven't seen. Or if I have, I've forgotten. When you feel that way, you haven't see it. May as well start from scratch!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It was fun Red, lots of fun, completely unbelievable but with good characterisations. Worth watching.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Even Basil Rathbone towards the end of his life commented rather regretfully on Boris's continuing to work. Really, his theatrical output was pretty crummy; he did much better with stuff like THE GRINCH. But Karloff was a trouper. He was quoted as saying that he felt an obligation to go on provided people still wanted to watch him. Outside of TARGETS (an absolutely brilliant movie), his 60s movies, outside of his work with Corman and, arguably DIE, MONSTER, DIE! are pretty hard to endure. Wonder why William Castle never tried to secure Boris's latter-day services. Whatever corn Castle would have come up with certainly would have been preferable to the crap Boris appeared in, post-Corman, pre-TARGETS.

Can you imagine Boris as MR. SARDONICUS!!!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I saw one of the great movies last night. ABBOTT AND COSTELLO GO TO MARS! How this one fails to turn up on the all time best lists is beyond me. The characters of Orville and Lester, as well as Allura, Queen of Venus, are intricately drawn, with a depth and nuance rarely seen in mainstream Hollywood. Young Jack Kruschen, as Harry the gangster, was not even nominated for an Oscar. Politics. The special effects, especially the pencil sketching of a rocket flying through The Lincoln Tunnel, are nothing less than spectacular.

Film critic Andrew Sarris wrote, "This superb piece of cinematic poetry is before its time. Where CITIZEN KANE challenged the established formats of filmmaking, this master work opens new doors. Just as Eisenstein created new methods of storytelling, director Charles Lamont, whose credits include MA AND PA KETTLE ON VACATION and the shamefully overlooked LOVE, HONOR AND OH BABY! has perfected the technique. It's even better than Ssss."

I hope some of you were able to enjoy this classic comedy!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I saw one of the great movies last night. ABBOTT AND COSTELLO GO TO MARS! How this one fails to turn up on the all time best lists is beyond me. The characters of Orville and Lester, as well as Allura, Queen of Venus, are intricately drawn, with a depth and nuance rarely seen in mainstream Hollywood. Young Jack Kruschen, as Harry the gangster, was not even nominated for an Oscar. Politics. The special effects, especially the pencil sketching of a rocket flying through The Lincoln Tunnel, are nothing less than spectacular.

Film critic Andrew Sarris wrote, "This superb piece of cinematic poetry is before its time. Where CITIZEN KANE challenged the established formats of filmmaking, this master work opens new doors. Just as Eisenstein created new methods of storytelling, director Charles Lamont, whose credits include MA AND PA KETTLE ON VACATION and the shamefully overlooked LOVE, HONOR AND OH BABY! has perfected the technique. It's even better than Ssss."

I hope some of you were able to enjoy this classic comedy!
I think you are the shamefully overlooked comic genius behind this, Shecky. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, all I can add to this is that Jack Kruschen is from my hometown of Winnipeg, and he passed away in what I pray will be my eventual place of residence: Arizona.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Mr. Kruschen would shudder to know that I first knew him as a henchman on BATMAN!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:Mr. Kruschen would shudder to know that I first knew him as a henchman on BATMAN!

As Eivol Ekdol shown here. As a Batman TV Fan ... he was great in this role and he complimentary to Anne Baxter who played Zelda the Great ... shown below.

Anne Baxter as Zelda the Great
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

RedRiver wrote:Mr. Kruschen would shudder to know that I first knew him as a henchman on BATMAN!

Yes, as would Mike Mazurki, William Smith, Richard Bakalyan, Norm Alden, etc.

To be dressed up in those ridiculous outfits and be regarded by such endearing criminal terms as Fine Feathered Finks . . .

Those fellas musta been great sports.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Every time a great actor appeared on that ridiculous show, my mom burst out laughing! What? She didn't think this was high drama?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'll argue Adam West and Burt Ward were great actors! They had to be, keeping a straight face while delivering that cornball dialogue and West, in particular, maintaining a serious demeanor while dancing the Bat-usi.

The same goes for veteran Neil Hamilton. All the terms he came up with to refer to Batman and Robin (as a team and individually) - not to mention the "diabolical" villains, while keeping that dour look on his face. Goes to prove that silent movies had to be a great training ground.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Yes, Caped Crusader! Thank you, Boy Wonder! Right out of the comic books. Adam West was tremendous as Batman. His demeanor and delivery fit the scenario perfectly. He took 100% seriously, material that was 100% ridiculous. His handling of the role was just this side of genius.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Well, if my information is correct, DUCK SOUP (that terrifying horror classic) is on Svengoolie this weekend. A great movie, to be sure. But wasn't it on just a few weeks ago? Pretty soon, I will probably let this thread collect a little dust. Thank you all for making it so much fun!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy and Red River ... I agree both of you on the acting on Batman ... especially West, Ward, and Hamilton too.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

And let us not forget the wonderful Alan Napier, who added just the right touch of loyalty as Alfred.