Maurice Chevalier

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: Maurice Chevalier

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm sure Christine/AnnHarding doesn't understand what it is for an English girl to listen to a Boyer, Chevalier or Jourdan but to me they're the loveliest tones in the world.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Here in Chile guys who speak in Portuguese or Italian have the same effect on some women :wink:
charliechaplinfan

I wonder what French women go for? A British accent. I have a female friend from overseas who likes to ring me up just to hear me speak because she loves my accent so much.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#800000]feaito[/color][/u] wrote:
[u][color=#4000BF]CineMaven[/color][/u] wrote:From what I can see...you're not so bad yourself. :D
Thank you Mm'selle Theresa, but I lack the deep French accented voice, the Continental flair and that world-weary quality among many other things :wink:
Ohhhh...well,ohhhhkay. But if you think you need to bone up the French tip...you can check this out:

[youtube][/youtube]

But being a Latin man...ain't so bad. :) I must try Jeanette & Maurice one day. I fear their musicals might be too frou frou frothy and light like a souffle and not meat and potatoes like Fred & Ginger. Would I be wrong folks?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

I love Fred and Ginger Theresa, Maurice and Jeanette give musicals a contintental twist and far more naughtiness, plus they are primarily singers not dancers, I only discovered them relatively recently and fell in love with the movies instantly although I still don't particularly care for Jeanette MacDonald she is great with Maurice Chevalier.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

They are absolutely fantastic, Theresa. And that's coming from a Fred and Ginger fan from way back. So much humor and like Alison said, they are tres naughty. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Theresa,

I have just tried to see the clip you posted but it has been removed to a copyright claim by NBC Universal.

You must watch the Chevalier-MacDonald films, especially "Love Me Tonight" (1932) my fave all-time musical and an absolute masterpiece; Continental naughty Pre Code innuendo at its peak!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I love Fred and Ginger Theresa, Maurice and Jeanette give musicals a contintental twist and far more naughtiness, plus they are primarily singers not dancers, I only discovered them relatively recently and fell in love with the movies instantly although I still don't particularly care for Jeanette MacDonald she is great with Maurice Chevalier.
JackFavell wrote:They are absolutely fantastic, Theresa. And that's coming from a Fred and Ginger fan from way back. So much humor and like Alison said, they are tres naughty. :wink:
feaito wrote:Theresa,I have just tried to see the clip you posted but it has been removed to a copyright claim by NBC Universal. You must watch the Chevalier-MacDonald films, especially "Love Me Tonight" (1932) my fave all-time musical and an absolute masterpiece; Continental naughty Pre Code innuendo at its peak!
Thanxx guys about weighing in on Maurice and Jeanette. I'm sorry I didn't watch "One Hour With You" when it was up and running. Gee, the YouTube police know how to ruin a good thing. Copyright? What are classic films fan gonna do with the film other than just watch and enjoy it. Guess I've got to keep my eye out for Jeanette & Maurice.

charliechaplinfan

There is a good Lubitsch box set available in America and I'm guessing it will be available on Netflix, it's a great introduction to the continental style naughtiness of Lubitsch and Chevalier.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Naughty" seems to be the operative word. Hmmmmmmm, Jeanette & Maurice, ey?

feaito

Post by feaito »

Indeed Theresa. I own the DVD Set that Alison mentions and it's worth every cent it costs.
charliechaplinfan

Is that the one that has 3 Chevalier films and 1 with Jack Buchanan, it may be the Brit in me but the Chevalier films are the superior.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes Ali, it includes: The Love Parade (1929) (Chevalier-MacDonald), Monte Carlo (1930) (Buchanan-MacDonald), The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) (Chevalier, Colbert, Hopkins) & One Hour With You (1932) (Chevalier-MacDonald). I agree with you that the weakest film of the set is indeed Monte Carlo.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, I have the set too, but I do love Jack Buchanan. I don't think Monte Carlo is bad, just not as good.

T, if I were you, I would start with Love Me Tonight and The Merry Widow. If you don't like them, then you have still seen the very best of the best.
charliechaplinfan

I love Jack Buchanan too, he's so Noel Coward-like but the English girl in me is quite seduced by the French Chevalier. The two you mention Wendy are the best but not by much, I really like One Hour With You, Miriam is excellent. What surprised me is how old Chevalier was when he made these movies, he seems so fresh.