Raoul Walsh

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Raoul Walsh

Post by JackFavell »

I watched Me and My Gal today, and it was a lot of fun. Spence and Joanie were a great team - it makes me wish they had made more movies together. I enjoyed the way Walsh played around with the camera here, with J. Farrell MacDonald popping his head up and talking right to the camera and the Strange Innertube segment! A charming film, with lots of ribald jokes and implications, and a great sense of a Bowery type community. Walsh's movie flaunts his earthy humor and robust personality well, and the cast is great.

I have been reading the new bio of Walsh, entitled Raoul Walsh, The True Adventures of Hollywood's Legendary Director and the writing is merely OK - I am finding all kinds of little errors in it. Nothing big about Walsh, but things that classic movie fans would know about that the author seems not to have misunderstood, like the timing of the production code, for instance. It is mostly a run down of Walsh's films, year by year, the high and low points of his life during those films. The author surmises things about Walsh's personality without really backing up her psychology, but I can buy that he was stunted at the death of his mother and retreated into a world of his own - one of adventure and stories of his own making.

I get no real love for Walsh or his movies in her writing. She doesn't hate him, and makes excuses for him when describing his lack of interest as a husband and father, but I get no sense that she is thrilled by him or angry at his failings or has much feeling one way or another. It would be nice if she seemed more invested in her subject, and had written a more thorough book. I am left with a lot of questions. The book is very broadly drawn, and I am having a hard time since the writing is lackluster. I am about a third of the way in, and have no more real knowledge of Walsh than I did before starting the book. She makes statements that Walsh was best friends with this or that actor or Hollywood personality, and yet, will have never mentioned the person before, nor talk about them after. The only exception so far is with William Randolph Hearst, who was important enough to the author to merit a whole chapter.

She does not talk about Walsh DOING anything, outside of making movies, and visiting his horse farm and the track, which was his second love. There are very few specific happenings or details in the book at all, it is simply stated that he went here or there, was enamored of horses and horse racing, or filmed on location. She rushes over any exciting events, like men being killed on set, or his horse winning a certain race, on the way to describing the films, which if you are a fan, you have already seen. All in all, she manages to make Walsh boring, a feat I never thought I'd see!

As for the films, in one paragraph, she'll knock a movie like Me and My Gal, telling us that Walsh's 1930's films were boring, just a job of work without any distinguishing characteristics, and then on the next page she'll say the opposite, that it was very popular and fast moving, with Walsh's trademarks all over it. There was also a glaring mistake about one of the more popular films (don't ask me what it was, I can't remember even which film it was, and don't want to go back to find it) which led me to think she has only given a cursory watch of Walsh's work. She often brings up the fact that Walsh's most artistic movies, like Evangeline and The Big Trail, were box office duds, and that this is why Walsh gave up the idea of film as an artistic expression of the soul - she suggests that he didn't try for anything except to make a good rollicking action picture, because he got burned on his two big "art" films. I can see this point, but differ with her interpretation of what constitutes artistic. She again talks about Walsh's motivations, but offers little or no evidence of how she knows what he was thinking at the time. I believe she wanted to write her own book, not simply a rehash of Walsh's, but that she did not take the time to find different sources and information.

The bottom line is, I can't really recommend the book - it only comes alive when Walsh himself writes - excerpted from his own autobiography. There are few references in the book to those who knew Walsh, so when we do get a scrap of info from another source it really stands out. He was a marvelous, romantic, down to earth and yet at times, a sweepingly epic writer, as is evidenced by an absolutely beautiful note he wrote to Gloria Swanson, late in life, long after the two had their romance in the late 1920's:
My dear Gloria,

My trip for the festival was worthwhile, just to see you again. My quip I made at the luncheon about you finding the fountain of youth is all too true.

Your lips, your eyes, your hair have been with me for these many years. To me, I can see my lovely Gloria. I will always remember her as a new phenomenon like some April evening, the downy breast of spring. She was like a rippling brook, singing among willows where kingfishers skim.

But now, the sun is going to rest. I can hear the wild ducks flying overhead, and the mountains were drawing themselves off to sleep, and at night fall would be the singing of the crickets. Somewhere, a Mexican is playing a guitar, and somewhere else a dog barked into the stillness of the night. A queer, eerie sound.

Goodnight, my dear one.
Go spend your money on that instead, even if his own words are expensive. Walsh is worth it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What is the name of the biography Raoul Walsh wrote?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow, Wendy, thanks for that rundown. It's incredible that someone who wasn't a "kindred spirit" would even be that interested in Walsh to go to the trouble of writing about him, only to do such a half-hearted job of it. This isn't the first time I've run across this in recent biographies...it seems the further you get from access to direct sources of information, the more important good writing and in depth, even exhaustive, research becomes. Without that, you might write something the cursory enthusiasts will be satisfied with, but would disappoint a more savvy reader.

At any rate, I will only pick this book up if I can get a very cheap price online. Wish I had the money for Walsh's own, which I remember as a hilarious read.

T, it was called Each Man in his Time.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx A.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you right away Maven, but my daughter needed help on a homework assignment.

I don't mean that the book doesn't have some worthwhile info, but man, I wish she had gone the extra mile OR had a voice or an outlook that was more..... intriguing. There really isn't any hook, nothing very surprising or well thought out here. I'd love it if Walsh's biographer had a radically different view of him, and then brought us around to their view. Or if she made the most of the research available... giving it some oomph or showing us that she really had something special to say.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

No worries...homework first, Mom.

You gave a great review of the book. Point of view is quite important. And your points are valid. It dissuades me from getting that book; consider kickin' in that $100 bucks to get the words straight from the horse's mouth.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, I looked at ebay, AbeBooks and Alibris and you can find a good shelf worn copy for 85 bucks.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx for the info, W.

T.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Don't forget to check the NY Public Library...it's not to keep but it's FREE. :D
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Holy Moses, what a smoldering avatar of Ava, Miss G.

Glad to see others have a library card.

FYI: if your local library doesn't have a copy of the Walsh autobiography, ask about interlibrary exchange and if that fails, nearby colleges often have libraries that are better stocked than municipal ones. You can often come in and read books there and, in some cases, can arrange to take books out all the time for an annual fee of about $25 or less.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I live at the library. I'm there every day. Not only do I get books and videos. I don't have my own computer. I do all my online stuff there! Big fan of the library!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I live at the library. I'm there every day. Not only do I get books and videos. I don't have my own computer. I do all my online stuff there! Big fan of the library!
Red, I really admire your persistence and share your enthusiasm. Recently, our library had to limit the amount of time for computer use to only one hour a day for each person due to many more people catching on to the great deal offered by them, (the economy really made the library the place to be too). Recently there was a mention in the county legislature of possibly cutting library hours more due to the money crunch, but the reaction of the public to this news was overwhelmingly against any cuts in that section. Hope it can continue to thrive.

While I've used the library computers whenever mine have died in the past, I also like to use the free, unlimited wifi at my library now when I can, since they seem to be more on top of security issues than most retail businesses that offer this perk.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am glad to hear your fellow citizens are ready to stand up and fight for their library. In our town last year, the library did end up closing every Thursday, but because of strong support they got their funding back and are back open now, every day but Sunday. Too bad, because Sunday is a perfect day to go to the library....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm guessing by your signature line that that's Wally Cox checking out the midget turkeys, Moira? :wink:
And Wendy---is that our beloved Raoul??? >SWOON<
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man! I didn't realize that was Wally in the picture! I even saw the tag line and still didn't get it. :roll:

Isn't Raoul fine? Image I know you've been on a Walsh jag lately. I honestly hadn't realized till I read the bio that several of the movies you watched recently were his. I'm trying to catch up to you.

I watched White Heat again today, since it was on TCM, and find it really much starker and sadder than I remembered. Cody is mad as a hatter, yes, a cold blooded killer, but he is betrayed left and right, by every single person in the film. Even mom leaves him. The movie reminds me of that line, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that everyone isn't out to get you." The poor man really could trust no one - his gold-digger wife does not love him, is scared to death of him, going with whoever is in power at any given moment just to stay alive. She'd stab him in the back if she thought he wouldn't get back up and come after her. His men are not loyal or trustworthy. Even the man Cody picks as his best friend, the one who really gets under his skin as a friend and shows kindness to him while he is having one of his headaches - the man who he feels deep metaphysical kinship with - turns out to be a cop, and is only there to rat him out. No wonder the man is crazy.

I haven't gotten to White Heat in the bio yet, but after reading about how Walsh lost his mother at an early age, and that it affected him deeply, I am looking closer at certain scenes in his films.

I wondered about the scene in the prison cafeteria. How much was Cagney, and how much was Walsh? Who had the idea to go so far emotionally? Cagney, of course, is brilliant, unafraid to go completely out of his mind, rolling on the floor and crying with rage and despair. He continues for a long time too, you can hear his animal screams long after they take him away..... but it makes me wonder if Walsh propelled Cagney to go far beyond what was expected with his emotions? or if Cagney had the idea in the first place? Did they work it out together? This to me seems the most likely, and sounds the most like the director to me, though according to the book, Walsh liked to step away or turn his back when the actual scenes were shot, listening more than looking at what the actors were doing.