August 2011 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
knitwit45

Re: August 2011 TCM Schedule

Post by knitwit45 »

KR, I loved The Sound and the Fury when I saw it the first time (movie house). I was pretty naive, but I 'got' the sexual tension throughout the movie. JoAnne Woodward plays young and rebellious very well, and Yul Brynner, with hair!, is HOT. (and very angry most of the time.) Jack Warden is a wonder as the slow giant. Check it out.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingrat, I was thinking the same thing about Woodward and her sexuality while watching The Sound and the Fury.... in her scenes with Yul Brynner, I thought something kindled a little more than the scenes with Stuart Whitman - but then. who WOULDN'T be excited being smooched up by Yul? :D

I am not sure she was limited, exactly, I mean Three Faces of Eve is absolutely a stunning performance, and I would hardly say she was limited there... in fact, I recall her being very sexy as one of the personalities. But she seems like she has "serious acting" on her mind so much sometimes that I am not sure she could let go... she lacks sensuality .
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

King,

I've always considered Joanne Woodward more of a stage actress than a film actress. Perhaps her heart was more in on the boards as they used to say when we were young but she did films because it was the chance, more often than not, to work with Newman and the paychecks for the films probably made doing them worthwhile.

It is interesting to note that the two films that Paul directed her in were written by a playwright and were Broadway plays before becoming movies.

Just a thought.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

At the risk of posting this too early, but with the fear it may not be posted later --

On Anne Francis Day, August 29, at midnight (EST)/11:00pm (CST) is BRAINSTORM (1965). Directed by William Conrad, the leads in addition to Ms. Francis are Jeff Hunter, Dana Andrews and Viveca Lindfors. Illicit sex, a sadistic captain of industry, insanity and murder. It could be noir.

But for Dewey, I may have never learned of this twisted movie. Also available through Warner Archives.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The pleasure was all mine, ChiO. I suggest a thread over at the Film Noir
branch of the Oasis because BRAINSTORM is so very, very noir. In fact,
that's just what I'll do...
Last edited by Dewey1960 on August 24th, 2011, 11:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CASABLANCA (1942)
An American saloon owner in North Africa is drawn into World War II when his lost love turns up.
Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: Humphrey Bogart , Ingrid Bergman , Paul Henreid .
BW-103 mins, TV-PG, CC, ... excerpts from TCM.

Turner Classic Movies will be showing this movie on the 23rd of August; and I haven't seen this movie for quite a while and they consider this classic movie back in 1942 a Romance. I seen this movie at least 4-5 times in my life; and I consider this movie more a Drama with a dash of Suspense and a sprinkling of Film Noir added in. I know it has Romance built in because of the friction between Bogart who played Rick Blaine and Bergman who played Ilsa Lund.

Do you consider this movie a Romance Movie or a Drama Movie? I'm curious what others members think about this movie?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I definitely think of it as a romance, as well as a strong propaganda piece.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wendy, are you in my head again???

I think the romance part is incredible, and the wake up call to arms well timed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Obviously, we're on the same wavelength today! :D :D Which isn't unusual....
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:I definitely think of it as a romance, as well as a strong propaganda piece.
JackFavell wrote:Obviously, we're on the same wavelength today! :D :D Which isn't unusual....
knitwit45 wrote:Wendy, are you in my head again???

I think the romance part is incredible, and the wake up call to arms well timed.
Romance ... thanks for the clarifications folks.

Update: I have some friends who are familiar with this movie and they think it is a romance type. Thanks for your comments JF and Knitty!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

August 2011 Movies on TCM

I'm not going to go into specifics here (I will try to be short and sweet) ... but this probably one of the best month of programming that Turner Classic Movies ever put together ever since I joined this forum. My DVR is working overtime and believe me I'm impressed the numbers of foreign films, the film noirs, adventure films, comedies, and everything else in between to entertain us day in and day out ... I'm beginning to like Humphrey Bogart even more and seeing many movies again for the first time in decades. In Conclusion, I would give TCM ... kudos for the month of August of 2011.

Thanks TCM! I'm :D about it :!: