The February 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: The February 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by Rita Hayworth »

February 20th, 2013

This is Cinerama ... 1952 Film
Showing at 12:15 Eastern Standard Time.

Sharing how this unique film making came to play ... I saw this last year and I love it. I'm really looking forward seeing it again.

From Wikipedia ...
This is Cinerama is a 1952 full-length film designed to introduce the widescreen process Cinerama, which broadens the aspect ratio so the viewer's peripheral vision is involved.

The Trailer of Cinerama
[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I haven't seen it yet, but it's in my Netflix queue. I love Lena Olin, I think she's a really fine actress, at one time I thought she would be a big star.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I've never seen her big one: "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and have just seen her in a handful of films, but she made an impression. Let me know your queue reaches "Romeo..."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I sure will, and do yourself a favor and go rent The Unbearable Lightness.... it's sooooooooo good. You'll love it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote:I've never seen her big one: "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and have just seen her in a handful of films, but she made an impression. Let me know your queue reaches "Romeo..."
Oh. CineMaven. You have something special ahead of you. All I will say is "derby" and "mirror." Lena rules and expands on Milan Kundera's existential elegance. And why is there hardly ever any hubbub about Philip Kaufman's oeuvre?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#800000]JACK[/color][/u] [u][color=#800000]FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:...and do yourself a favor and go rent The Unbearable Lightness.... it's sooooooooo good. You'll love it.
[u][color=#0000BF]MOIRA[/color][/u] [u][color=#0000BF]FINNIE[/color][/u] wrote:Oh. CineMaven. You have something special ahead of you. All I will say is "derby" and "mirror." Lena rules and expands on Milan Kundera's existential elegance. And why is there hardly ever any hubbub about Philip Kaufman's oeuvre?
You both have made me quite curious.

Derby?

Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

I didn't like Unbearable very much. Day Lewis was too smarmy, and Binoche was still just too cute. Still, I have seen it four times, because Lena Olin is that magnificent. Then came Enemies which also had Anjelica Huston. But the came Havana. I thought playing opposite Redford would establish her as a true international star, but is was such an awful movie,like all American movies about Cuba, except Godfather II. Theresa, I didn't like Romeo as much as you did. She was baad, but I didn't like seeing her with one arm. But I will sit through any movie she is in. When I worked in the bookstore in Bronxville, a location scout picked it for Lasse Hallstrom's Hoax. Some of my co-workers were excited about seeing Richard Gere, but I was just praying that the director's wife would stop by that day. As it happened, they decided on a different store which, truth to tell, was really a better location for that scene. My broken heart was somewhat mended when a few weeks later, Linda Fiorentino walked into the store! I always knew she was a reader.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! That's funny! Linda Fiorentino, that takes me way back.

I actually sat through Cuba just to see Lena. She came out remarkably unscathed, except of course for her career. She was in Chocolat too, and did a great job, though her role was very small. She and Binoche ought to team up again, I'd love to see them both now, if they could find a really dark, juicy script.

God I hate February on TCM. Here we have this nice big storm, perfect for sitting back and watching movies, and the most interesting thing on is Viva Zapata, on tonight at 8. Dang!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ahhh Fiorentino, "THE LAST SEDUCTION." She was magnificent in this. Yeah, she was robbed from an Oscar, Bob. But the Academy is full o' stuffed shirts so they'll never honor a...stone...cold...psychotic...bad...girl.

Bob I kind of remember you didn't care for "Romeo..." but as you know, I love the dark side, and the actresses who play those roles. She was great in "Romeo..." as was Gary Oldman and Anabella Sciorra. Anabella should have had a better career too!

Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Ah yes, Theresa, Linda Fiorentino!! If she has ever gotten another part as good as that, I haven't found it. I though John Dahl would turn out to be one of all-time favorite directors. He started out with three powerful "neo-noirs" in a row, each with a very bad woman. Joanne Whaley in Kill Me Again, Lara Flynn Boyle in Red Rock West, and the unforgettable Last Seduction with the legendary Linda. He cast her again in Unforgettable which is also pretty good, but her role is much more conventional. She's actually nice! He made some more good movies, the best of which is You Kill Me, a "comic noir", but has been devoting himself to television. I guess a guy's gotta eat. Most of Fiorentino's other films that I have seen I can't remember a thing. The best of them is Where the Money Is with Paul Newman.

One of these days I'll have another shot at Romeo. And you're right, Anabella Sciorra deserves better than she has gotten.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I quite like The Unbearable Lightness of Being but I think it's because I like the book so much, I can see what you mean about Day Lewis and Binoche, although I love Binoche's cuteness, in her best films she's cute.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

First time I ever saw Binoche was in "DAMAGE" ( 1992 ) - Not a good start for me with her.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't seen Damage, my first view of Binoche was in The Unbearable Lightness of Being, then Choclat. It may explain why I see her as cutesy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Alison, I am not opposed to "cute" per se, but I feel that there comes a time when a woman is more appealing when she is more, well, womanly. The first time I really took to Binoche was in Breaking and Entering in which she played an immigrant single mother of a teen, and I couldn't blame Jude Law for falling for her. I liked her very much in Cache, Summer Hours, and Certified Copy, and I was even more impressed by two of her lesser-known films, In My Country where she plays an anti-Apartheid (rhymes with Hate) reporter, and Jet Lag, a charming romantic comedy which casts both her and Jean Reno against type.

I had even worse problems with Audrey Tatou. As a diabetic, Amelie made me long for serious doses of insulin. But I found her very appealing in Dirty Pretty Things with the remarkable Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Few of us could not be charmed by the adorable Goldie Hawn, but really she should have moved beyond cute many years ago.

To end my ravings about cuteness on a positive note, I must mention Francois Truffaut's Love on the Run, the most mature depiction of women in his entire career. In this one, Jean-Pierre Leaud's girlfriend is played by the "cute blonde" Dorothee, better known in France as the host of a very popular children's tv show. Her adorable appearance does not hide her maturity and wisdom, in a word, her womanliness. Thus, my motto: Don't underestimate the "cute blonde"!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I see exactly what you mean by Binoche and Day Lewis, but I can't think of anyone who could have made any more of the waif-like character from the book. Personally, I think Binoche did a great job of moving her AWAY from the beginning of the story, taking her into womanly adulthood by the end of the film. Of course, the book is ten times better than the movie, but there is no way that a filmmaker could get any more of Kundera's musings into a movie. All in all, I think they did a tremendous job with the film, just getting the milieu and tone right is an achievement.

Did you see Audrey Tautou in He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not? Any use of the word cute after that is meaningless.