MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: February 16th, 2023, 1:12 am
Hibi wrote: February 15th, 2023, 5:54 pm Yeah, they weren't advertising the current season as her last so she'll probably pop up again before summer. She's never off the air more then 3 months. SIGH. Even if they end it, she'll probably come back in something else like Joe Kenda!

A lot of the new shows on now aren't that interesting. And there are a lot of reruns. I don't watch as much as I used to!
Yep. I've never watched Kenda's new show. I did enjoy the original one with all the chain smoking and the fact that Kenda
seemed to be on call at all times of the night and day, on weekends and holidays as if he were the only homicide detective
in Colorado Springs. He should have just ended it there.

Sundance TV is running the old NBC Columbo series a couple of nights a week late at night. I haven't seen that show in ages.
Fun to see it again with some of the studio era stars as guest stars.

Yeah, I wonder what he was like to work with. LOL. (Kenda).
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:49 amYes, it is!
Thanks, and is yours Brian Aherne?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:11 am
Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:49 amYes, it is!
Thanks, and is yours Brian Aherne?
No, and it isn't Don Ameche either, Jim. ;)

(...Hibi's avatar is George Brent)
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thank you, I see it now, this must be an early photo, Brent's face got fuller when he got older.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:53 am

[/quote]
Thank you, I see it now, this must be an early photo, Brent's face got fuller when he got older.
[/quote]

According to a popular thread on TCM (which I never participated in), that's not all that got fuller!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Nope! His Rear End wasn't big enough! (Meant for Jim Mcleod).
Last edited by Hibi on February 16th, 2023, 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:54 am
Detective Jim McLeod wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:53 am

[/quote]

According to a popular thread on TCM (which I never participated in), that's not all that got fuller!
[/quote]

That's for sure! LOL.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: February 15th, 2023, 5:00 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:14 pm

I will say a prayer over your cricket, like John Wayne in RED RIVER.

Even before he met Netta, George was constantly distracted by the creative demands of his musical genius but Barbara seemed to hero worship him since hers was merely a minor talent.

I sometimes get EXECUTIVE SUITE mixed up with PATTERNS; easy to do I think, lol. I adore Louis Calhern in everything and believe he would have been the only actor to play the title role in LIFE WITH FATHER other than the great William Powell. (who I love in the part)

Don't apologize about the Bowery Boys! We all have our personal preferences. I dig the Stooges too but appreciate the comedy stylings of Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall (no really, lol) That they were followed by Varda, kicking off with CLEO FROM 5 TO 7, was just my jam! I am nothing if not eclectic.
Thanks for the (thoughts) and prayers. Just remember the cricket died a natural death whereas Duke had a closer hand in
those dead people. I too always got a kick out of the befuddled cowpoke about Wayne killing 'em, buryin' 'em and then readin'
the Good Book over 'em. Did seem kind of counter-intuitive.

Yes, she played second fiddle to Mr. Bone, sorry about that one. I still think she was starting to hear wedding bells, where who
knows what he was hearing. Barbara, he just isn't that into you. Luckily for her, George Sanders was ready to step into the
breach.

They are both good 1950s ruthless business focused movies, though to me Fredric is a prince compared to Everett Sloan, especially when
Sloane is berating poor Ed Begley. Fredric's character never caused someone's death. I'm sure Calhern played many different roles, but
I think of him as the well-spoken scoundrel dressed in evening clothes with a cig in his hand. No doubt he was a good enough actor to do
LWF.

I think as I get older I find that many of the comedians I enjoyed when I was a kid are not quite as funny anymore. I still like the
Marx Brothers, but not as much as when I first saw many of their films as a teenager. Cleo ends on an ambiguous note. Apparently
she has some form of cancer, but doctor tells her that a few months of chemo will take care of it. Not exactly the totally clean
bill of health someone would want to hear. Speaking of the Bowery Boys, what would have happened if Varda had chosen them as
her subject instead of the Black Panthers? Just sayin'.

Andree, did you ever have a good Swiss watch?

Agnes Varda examines the Bowery Boys -- for-mee-dahhabul! Not sure she'd understand those Gorcey malapropisms. CLEO'S ending always haunts me....

Everett Sloane -- great character actor -- from Bernstein in CITIZEN KANE to Rita Hayworth's crippled, obsessed husband in THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI to Jack Palance's sympathetic agent in THE BIG KNIFE -- love him.

Abbott and Costello is my favorite comedy team (also because my late father actually resembled Bud -- with a little Milt Kamen thrown in).

I always welcome the little dinosaur anole Florida lizards who occasionally skitter across my floors and attach their tiny bodies to the walls. There is one right now who has made him/herself at home underneath the kitchen oven.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:51 am
Yeah, I wonder what he was like to work with. LOL. (Kenda).
I don't know for sure, but I imagine he could be something of a tough cookie. I always enjoyed the episode where he was
a rookie and the only college graduate in the squad, for which he got a lot of ribbing. Then Joe College solved the murder
and earned their respect.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 16th, 2023, 2:42 pm
Andree, did you ever have a good Swiss watch?

Agnes Varda examines the Bowery Boys -- for-mee-dahhabul! Not sure she'd understand those Gorcey malapropisms. CLEO'S ending always haunts me....

Everett Sloane -- great character actor -- from Bernstein in CITIZEN KANE to Rita Hayworth's crippled, obsessed husband in THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI to Jack Palance's sympathetic agent in THE BIG KNIFE -- love him.

Abbott and Costello is my favorite comedy team (also because my late father actually resembled Bud -- with a little Milt Kamen thrown in).

I always welcome the little dinosaur anole Florida lizards who occasionally skitter across my floors and attach their tiny bodies to the walls. There is one right now who has made him/herself at home underneath the kitchen oven.

No, I never had a good Swiss watch or a bad Swiss watch, unless that is a contradiction in terms. No cuckoo clock either.
I do have an old mantlepiece clock with Westminster chimes that sound every fifteen minutes, but one gets used to it.

Agnes and the Bowery Boys. Two way culture shock. I guess it's better than having stage four cancer, but it does end on a
somewhat somber note.

Sloane was always worthwhile seeing. He also shows up in a good number of TV shows, sometimes as a nice guy, sometimes
a real nasty one, but he was downright mean as the boss in Patterns.

We have very tiny lizard like creatures that will skitter across the back porch, but I've never seen one inside the house. I
would guess they wouldn't be easy to catch.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I think I'd probably heard of Myra Hindley before, but The Smiths wrote a song about her called Suffer Little Children on
their first album, including the noted line 'Oh Manchester, so much to answer for.' That's when I looked her up. Myra Hindley
had two "advantages" over Ruth Ellis--she never was hanged and she wasn't a ho. :oops:

Of course Brenty Boy's butt was not all that large, but that was part of the fun of the thread.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: February 16th, 2023, 5:27 pm I think I'd probably heard of Myra Hindley before, but The Smiths wrote a song about her called Suffer Little Children on
their first album, including the noted line 'Oh Manchester, so much to answer for.' That's when I looked her up. Myra Hindley
had two "advantages" over Ruth Ellis--she never was hanged and she wasn't a ho. :oops:

Of course Brenty Boy's butt was not all that large, but that was part of the fun of the thread.
He kept it covered for the most part!
Andree

Post by Andree »

He was lucky to live in a time when many men wore suits which could cover up a lot of excessive poundage in the hindquarters.
No big rear emoji. Darn.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: February 16th, 2023, 11:50 pm He was lucky to live in a time when many men wore suits which could cover up a lot of excessive poundage in the hindquarters.
No big rear emoji. Darn.
LOL!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Going through a bit of a lull with movies. I've seen some very bad ones recently. Has anybody else felt the need to move away from watching films for a little while after watching too many poor ones in a small period of time?