Shhhhh! It's Time to Pick Your Bestavorite Silents!

Chit-chat, current events
inglis

bring on the westerns

Post by inglis »

cinemalover wrote:You're welcome, John. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You can start thinking about your favorite westerns now, because that will be our next challenge.
That will be a good one there are so many great ones to choose from .I can't wait
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'll be there as long as I never have to decide between The Searchers and To Kill a Mockingbird ever, ever again.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Good thinking lzcutter, only you better start hoping now that you won't have to choose between The Searchers and Liberty Valence!!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Searchers and Liberty Valence!!! >>

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

That would be so mean I don't know that I could even vote.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I think a lot of my choices may seem odd. It's weird I always used to hate the Western genre but it's become one of my favourites in the last 2 years.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Lynn wrote:The Searchers and Liberty Valence!!! >>

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

That would be so mean I don't know that I could even vote.
You can do what I did with some of the earlier ones -- I voted for both.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I will post the thread to collect everyone's top 15 westerns in the western forum on January 21st. This will help generate some extra traffic on that underused forum. As to where the match-ups will be posted when we get to that point, I'll leave that up to our helpful, friendly neighborhood administrators. Perhaps they can archive the first contest and we can open the genre competitons under the same banner.

We will be starting with the top 32 westerns and counting down to the last man standing. So you've got a couple of weeks to be thinking about which films you'd like to include on your list. How you define "western" will be solely up to you. You can include silent westerns, B westerns, "modern" westerns, comedic westerns, or any other film you feel will fit the description. (Also, I am still undecided as to which genre will follow the westerns, so your input is welcome).

Until then, keep your boots dry!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hello eveyone!
I had told you I was going to start the Bestavorite Western Movie competition on Monday (the 21st), but I''ll be having a little party at the oral surgeons that day that I like to call, a root canal. So, not knowing how much game I'll have on Monday I wanted to get this competition started now.
The thread is posted under the Western Forum as are the rules of the competition. So please mosey on over there and start posting you top 15 Western movies!

Until then you'll find me knocking back a cold one at Miss Kitty's.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Tomorrow is the last day to add your list to the top Western Competition over on the Western forum. If you haven't added your list yet why don't you gallop on over and add your two cents.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Please make sure you run on over to the Bestavorite Western thread to cast your vote in our special tie-breaker election!

The Far Country and The Naked Spur ened in a dead even tie and we are having a poll open until the end of today to determine the winner. All previous votes have been cast aside to start anew.

As soon as these two settle their duel we can move on to the second round.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

SPECIAL TIE-BREAKER ONE DAY VOTE! Gallop on over to the Best Western Ever Forum, Rpound Two to vote on our one day tie-breaker between Fort Apache and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Only one will survive!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

We are open for business in Round Three of the Western competition. Hop on down there and voice your choice.

The polls will be open until Friday, February 22nd at 11;59pm (Pacific). Please leave your six-shooters outside of all polling booths.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The Searchers, The Ox-Bow Incident, The Man Who Shot Libery Valance and Stagecoach are our final four contestants. Round Four will begin on Monday.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Start slimming down your choices for your Top Noir films of all time. At the end of the month we'll start our friendly competition to knock off all the pretenders until the last Noir standing. Everyone will be able to submit a list of their top 15 Noirs, which we'll narrow down to 32 contestants to battle for the crown.
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Chris said:
Everyone will be able to submit a list of their top 15 Noirs
Any negotiation on that number, say...oh...Top 50? No? Well, I'm willing to compromise...Top 37?

Rats! Eh, what's the difference?

Thank you, Chris, for taking this on. I already feel as if I am in a dark alley, at a baroque angle, waiting for a beautiful dame, with a gun pointed at my hardboiled heart and Fate about to stick out its foot to trip me.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles