NED GLASS (1906 - 1984)

WALLACE BEERY (1885 - 1949)

LON CHANEY (1883 - 1930)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by klondike »

Let's hear it for Grace Whitney!
She had the courage to take mini-skirts into space, the nerve to model Grecian up-do's with blonde hair, the right amount of secretarial allure to make clipboards sexy, and enough backbone to rebuff a horny alien teenager with godlike powers.
You go right on blazing those star-trails, Girl!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

This might interest Richard Chamberlin fans:

http://www.richard-chamberlain.com/gallery.html

I did remember that he started out as an art student, and that he has lived in Hawaii for a long time. I must admit I don't like his works too much, but I don't hate them. I like Dwayne Hickman's artwork better (he has a website as well). However, it is interesting to see this, and there's a good bio of our hero. I had forgotten that he was a sergeant in the Army.

I've never been able to sit through The Thornbirds, even with Chamberlin smoldering and emoting like mad. I liked him a lot in that series of made for TV classics he did (British, I think) -- The Count of Monte Cristo, for one. My favorite of his movies is The Last Wave.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I must be crazy - while everyone else was smoldering for Richard Chamberlain....I was smoldering for William Daniels. sigh :D

Chamberlain was very good in those epic costumers, though - Monte Cristo, etc.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

JackFavell wrote:I must be crazy - while everyone else was smoldering for Richard Chamberlain....I was smoldering for William Daniels. sigh :D

Chamberlain was very good in those epic costumers, though - Monte Cristo, etc.
I don't think you're crazy. I wouldn't mind spending an evening with Mr. Daniels. To me, he epitomizes the Alpha Male. He is the consummate ultra-capable authority figure, and generally in a very good way. I am really getting a kick out of him, all over again, as the irrascible Dr. Craig in St. Elsewhere re-runs.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What channel is showing St Elsewhere reruns?

I just love him as John Adams in 1776...sexy as can be.

and no matter how despicable he is in A Thousand Clowns, I always have a slight pang for him when he finally tells off Jason Robards.

I used to dream that I would grow up to become an actress so I could "work" with him.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:
Me, too - but I reserve "sexy" in that film for Blythe Danner & her "Violin" number. 8)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

JackFavell wrote:What channel is showing St Elsewhere reruns?

and no matter how despicable he is in A Thousand Clowns, I always have a slight pang for him when he finally tells off Jason Robards.

I used to dream that I would grow up to become an actress so I could "work" with him.
St. Elsewhere is shown during the week at 9 PM Eastern on American Life TV (ALN), a network I never heard of until I got Verizon cable last summer.

I just love that program, as I loved it during its first run. It's a sterling example consistently effective ensemble playing (really -- Howie Mandel can act). St. Elsewhere made me wish that Ed Flanders were my dad and Norman Lloyd were my grandpa, reinforced my enchantment with William Daniels, gave me my first look at Denzel Washington and Alfre Woodard, made me a fan of Ed Begley, Jr., and definitely made me fall in love with David Morse. That skinny, curly-haired, soulful cutie has now turned into a hulking and menacing character actor, and still, I could listen to that soft, hoarse voice of his all day (and night).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree with you about St Elsewhere --- what the heck happened to David Morse - for a while he seemed like he was going to be the next big thing.... now he is always stalking someone.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

JackFavell wrote:I agree with you about St Elsewhere --- what the heck happened to David Morse - for a while he seemed like he was going to be the next big thing.... now he is always stalking someone.
Still and all, he's one of our better character actors, and for all his baby-faced looks, he can be pretty menacing. I do wish he were in better movies, though. Some have been good, some not so much. He deserves better.

I was very pleased to see that on one of those "100 Best" compilations on TV - best dramatic moments or something - Morse's fabulous scene from St. Elsewhere was included. Do you know the one I mean? His character's young wife dies in an accident he wasn't even aware of, and her heart is implanted in a St. Eligius patient. He goes into the sleeping patient's room and listens with his stethoscope to the beating heart. It was shattering.

But he'll always be "Boomer" to me.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Gable & Lombard seated with a mesmerized William Randolph Hearst (oogling Lombard)
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember, jdb...though my brain is pretty foggy on most points. and I ALWAYS think of him as Morrison.

Apparently it's time to break out my recording of the John Adams miniseries...which I still haven't watched - because apparently he played George Washington, which seems brilliant to me.

Gosh Almighty, was there ever a couple who looked better than Lombard and Gable? Hearst is completely obliterated by their beauty. I didn't even see him.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm pretty sure that this guy is Mervyn LeRoy, the then boy wonder director. Naturally, he seems to be dressed as some kind of ringmaster.
Gosh Almighty, was there ever a couple who looked better than Lombard and Gable? Hearst is completely obliterated by their beauty. I didn't even see him.
REALLY? How could one miss the oh, so fetching plastic or sateen coat that the portly Mr. H. is sporting in this picture?? Maybe that coat looks more slimming than I realized.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

This just in. 49 year old dance instructor Corky Ballas engaged to marry 83 year old Cloris Leachman.

***********APRIL FOOL**********
Last edited by mongoII on April 1st, 2010, 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph Goodheart