YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
JackFavell

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by JackFavell »

Summer Storm is one of the few movies I've actually sprung for, money wise. I went in hoping for a great performance from George Sanders, who doesn't disappoint. I came out marveling at Edward Everett Horton who gives a nuanced, multilayered, brilliant and somewhat villainous performance. He is comic, but also a really a hideous human being all at the same time. He is by far the most interesting character, straddling the Russian political fence, taking whatever side he can get ahead on, yet you still end up pitying him at the end.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't think I've ever NOT liked George Sanders. He's even good as Mr. Freeze! An actor with astonishing depth.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

i love him, Red! I find him fascinating even when he's bored with a role. :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Wendy,
While I see what you mean about Edward Everett Horton's role in this movie, I can't say that I really think he comes across to me as "villainous" or "a hideous human being." To be either of those he would have to be more self-aware, instead of the childish, greedy child that his social status has made him. I am not sure that his wealthy Russian sees beyond his own needs. He's stunted, but would be shocked to discover anyone really thinks he is an evil man. Of course, this kind of blind obtuseness often precedes a revolution.

Red & Wen,
Sometimes I'll watch anything in which George Sanders appears, just because I am never sure how he is going to play his character. Even when it is clearly written as a good or bad guy, he remains in control of his character's "soul" when he's on screen. That ambiguity and his acting creativity might be reason why he and Douglas Sirk got along well making this film, A Scandal in Paris, Lured, The Strange Woman, and [in Sirk's technicolor melodramatic period], Never Say Goodbye. Also, both men had seen their family's roots pulled up and transplanted to a different culture as a result of world upheavals---Sanders in Russia at the time of the revolution, and Sirk (born Hans Detlef Sierck ) in Germany as the Nazis power grew overwhelming. No wonder both approached life with a dark wit teetering on the cynical. [Poor Sirk had to leave his son behind. The youth became a confirmed Nazi and was lost on the Russian front. At the time he made Summer Storm, the director reportedly learned through Allied intelligence that his only child was MIA.]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira -

Yes, of course you are right about EEH in Summer Storm. I have only watched it once so far, and that was last year, so my memory may be completely off. As I recalled, there are moments when his childishness bordered on the criminal, but perhaps I was just shocked watching him in a relatively unsympathetic role. It's kind of sickening watching him try wriggle out of things he has gotten into. His character to me was silly and unpleasant, but revelatory of his class, and it's the first role I can remember him in where he actually seemed to have a sex life (except for that episode of Lucy). I'll have to give it another look and see if his character plays differently to me now, or if I am remembering him wrong. Either way, he does a masterful job of acting here.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Some of you may remember this song. I do:

[youtube][/youtube]

Singer Scott MacKenzie has passed away: [ http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/arts/ ... at-73.html ]
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

A teenage Tony Scott was the star of his brother Ridley Scott's imaginative and entertaining first film, Boy and Bicycle (1965), set in Hartlepool--and clearly influenced a bit by Keith Waterhouse's "Billy Liar." The Scott boy's father drove the car used for tracking shots and a 16mm spring-wound Bolex camera, purchased in 1962, was used to capture the rambling episodes with the BFI providing post-production funding, and the film was finished with a score by John Barry.
[youtube][/youtube]

The BFI went on to fund brother Tony Scott’s first short film, seen below, One of the Missing (1969), a short set in the U.S. Civil War and influenced by Ambrose Bierce. His signature skill with the camera and action is evident in his already visually arresting style.
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Scott Mackenzie had such a cool clear voice. I've always loved that song. :(

Thanks Moira for posting those videos, I am especially interested in the Ambrose Bierce type story.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If there's one song that perfectly represents the 60's...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

40 Beautiful Actresses before 1960

[youtube][/youtube]

You will be surprised who in the top 5 in this countdown.
This is interesting list.

My own Rita Hayworth was ranked #7 in this countdown.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I actually love all of the top five picks, but I would have added Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall and Marlene closer to the top.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

way,WAY closer!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Cesar Romero interviews (Marie Windsor is in the first one!). I have no idea who Skip E. Lowe is, do you?

UPDATE! This just in on Skip E. Lowe, who is a bit of an institution on the West Coast. Californian members, do you know the guy? : http://www.skipelowe.com/

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

1992 Cesar Romero interviews:

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Good golly, he was seventy eight in that first interview! :shock: He must have had good genes.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

This cracked me up when he said this, because I'm a silly silly goose:
George Murphy went around giving everybody that was there, a nick name. A nick name that didn’t suit them. Particularly. And when he got to me he said “And your name is Butch” and everybody laughed and they kept calling me Butch. And suddenly became my name. And I’ve been Butch ever since.”
Yes, Romero was very dashing. And frankly, he looked better the older he got.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com