Comfort foods

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: Comfort foods

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Me too, I love spicy but I want to taste the other ingredients too. My Dad doesn't do spicy but Mum's repertoire was very boring and her baking was too, she had one recipe book that someone had bought her and never used it, I always wanted to make the fancy things on the cover, yet she had loads of baking sheets and tins. I have baking sheets, pie tins, loaf tins, cake tins, all sorts, I can't resist.

Does anyone here ever use a slowcooker? Any tips for making things, I can't convince hubby of it's worth.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote: Does anyone here ever use a slowcooker? Any tips for making things, I can't convince hubby of it's worth.
My sister-in-law uses one time and time again ... and its brings out the flavor of meats, potatoes, and everything that you put into it tastes so good. Her favorite is Pot Roast ... and its heavenly. I just love slow-cooked food. I can ask her some tips ... if you want some!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have one, and it's great, especially if you want to cook while going out of the house. I would never leave the stove on and go out, but the slow cooker is different somehow.

Reasons to have a slow cooker:

They are inexpensive

They save money - the stove uses far more energy

Save time and effort

can use cheaper, tougher cuts because you cook longer

also use cheaper veggies, like potatoes and carrots

Some things just need long cooking to really meld the flavors, doing this on the stove will heat up your house in summer, but not when you use the cooker!

One thing I've learned about slow cooking, always spray or oil your cooker before making anything. When I got my cooker I immediately made barbecue, which stuck to the sides and I had a heck of a time getting it off.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

another thing to be sure of: Make sure the 'crock' part of the cooker is removable. The first ones were all one piece, and devilishly hard to clean. The one I use now has a removable stoneware crock, and can even be put in the dishwasher. Roasts, stews, and chili are just some of the delicious possibilities.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh yes, definitely get one that has a removable crock! You can wash them easier, plus you can throw the liner into the fridge for leftovers when it's cooled down if you need to. Mine is a three-in-one crockpot - slow cooker, steamer and fryer. I found it at Napa Style catalog and fell in love with the idea, not that I use the fryer very often, maybe about 2 times a year. Anyway, it was listed as 98 dollars there so I did a search and found one for 16 dollars elsewhere. I love it especially since I got such a good deal on it. Michael Chiarello should be ashamed of selling a slow cooker for such a markup.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like spicy, but within reason. If it's so hot it creates discomfort, that's too much. Somebody told me if you want to cool down that hot feeling, you should eat a piece of bread. Soak up the spices. Drinking water only makes it worse. I'm not sure if that's correct. Just something I heard.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

closing your mouth helps, the air will just fan the flames.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i may end up getting a slow cooker one day, i really like the idea. i didn't know for sure if you can leave them on if you're not home. i worry if anything happened my landlord would hold me responsible. or the cats would knock it over. :D i could just do an overnight thing instead.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh yes, the cats, I forgot about animals who can get up on counters...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

closing your mouth helps

People tell me that all the time!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:i may end up getting a slow cooker one day, i really like the idea. i didn't know for sure if you can leave them on if you're not home. i worry if anything happened my landlord would hold me responsible. or the cats would knock it over. :D i could just do an overnight thing instead.
I have left crock pots on low all day while I was out and never had a problem--but if you're uncomfortable with that, maybe overnight is a practical way to go. Did you know that they make smaller ones now, just right for an apartment? Most of the crock pots I've seen, big or small, would take a concerted effort by some muscle-bound cats to push off the counter. Bungee cords across the top of the thing could keep the lid securely in place if you were concerned that the smell might prove too tempting for your resident rascals.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've left ours on all day, the cats have never knocked it off and it's impossible for them to get to the contents. It's hubby who isn't overkeen, I don't think it makes great gravy and although it cooks meat well it does need to be all day and the food is only warm when it comes out, I often have to jolly it up on the stove. Having said that, energy prices are so expensive that it's a bonus to save on the feul bill.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i still haven't made my first foray to Aldi's, but i'm on their email list and i just saw this:

http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2827_1883 ... 0-09-17-37

i'm tempted to get one of these...it looks so cute, and i love mini cup-cakes...i just wonder if it's worth it vs. baking them the traditional way? i mean, i already have a mini-cupcake baking tray, so why get a contraption that takes up space and means two more items to clean when the only benefit, beyond novelty, is maybe it's faster. okay, i talked myself out of it. but it's still cute! :D
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I looked at these too and decided the same thing. I like the idea, but don't have that much cupboard space. Do you have a soft silicone muffin pan? I like the idea of them, but wonder if they are too flimsy? Has anyone latched onto these?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i almost bought a silicone pan but the flimsiness and my own skepticism about the material's effect on taste kept me from trying. from what i understand you still need to use a bit of oil to prevent sticking so i don't see the advantage?
-- Will Rogers