George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: George Raft

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I was referring to the actors, not the characters, Spats was not a likeable guy, actually this was my first George Raft film not They Drive By Night but because he plays such a comedy role and I first watched it so long ago I forget. I'm trying to remember but I can't recall Spats having any scenes with Sugar. I bet George liked Marilyn, they must have all stayed together when they shot the scenes in Florida. I have yet to read Tony Curtis's book but he mentions George in only the most glowing terms. Tony Curtis was someone who was always entertaining when interviewed on TV, he talked a good tale.

I wasn't sure whether to watch The George Raft Story because it isn't very accurate. Do you think George was right to get involved, presumably it was only for financial reasons as film roles would have been dying off by then. I would love to watch Broadway but I don't think it's available anywhere which is a pity.

When it comes to Mack Gray he pops up all over the place in George's films and on his imdb page is a picture of Raft not Gray himself. He and his brother were the closest friends George had and came from similar back grounds, George is almost like the older brother.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Certainly George agreed to selling the film rights to his life story primarily due to financial considerations. The sale was based on the series of articles written by Dean Jennings for The Saturday Evening Post. Originally, as I state in my book, the film was to be a major project, with studios such as Twentieth Century-Fox expressing interest, but interest apparently quickly waned and Allied artists acquired the rights. Names such as Dean Martin, Tony Curtis (George's preference) and even Robert Evans were passed over in favor of lesser-light Ray Danton. George's participation was also gradually minimized until he pretty much divorced himself completely from the project. In any case, it hardly mattered as the film was a dismal flop both here and in Europe.

"Broadway" is a Universal film. I would hope that TCM would broadcast it in the future. Their Raft library is pretty anemic. "Follow the Boys" is another they should really show, if only for all the guest attractions.
charliechaplinfan

The fact that they made a film of his story makes it all the stranger that they won't make a documentary on him, I don't know how his life would be condensed into a hour but it's interesting.

Don't you think Bogart has to carry a tiny bit of blame about the disparaging of George's acting abilities? Didn't he say that George acted with a one, two, three rhythm when saying his lines? He was acerbic Bogart and he didn't pull his verbal punches, George wasn't the only victim and I do believe he mellowed his verbal sparring once away from Mayo but he's so often quoted. He wouldn't have said it to George's face, unless he could dodge punches well.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, Bogart did take a few knocks at Raft's acting ability when the two were filming "Invisible Stripes". Yet later when Bogie was ousted from "Manpower" (at Raft's insistence), Bogie was to write Hal Wallis and say that he never had anything but the finest feelings of friendship towards George. This was after Bogart ran into George on the Warners lot and Raft would not even speak to brother Humphrey. Apparently George had taken umbrage at something Bogie had said - though what that was exactly remains a mystery. Even Mack Gray's nephew couldn't tell me - and Mack was there at the time and ended up getting into a shouting match with Bogart.
charliechaplinfan

Don't you think Bogie was good at telling the execs what they wanted to hear when he wanted something. Invisible Stripes is another film I'm saving to watch with Chris. The same irony about the guys who played the gangsters in Some Like It Hot is also true of some of Murderer's Row. You mentioned in an earlier post that George appeared on TV to discuss Bogart, not a man to hold a grudge then.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Bogie was ambitious and eager to achieve stardom. Raft, of course, was already a star when he came to Warners. I'm sure Bogart was privy to the problems the studio was having with Raft and used this to his own advantage. Eventually, it worked!

Raft really could not hold a grudge, because even if Bogie did use devious tactics to obtain certain roles, Raft's decisions were ultimately his own. Years later when George was interviewed on "Good Morning, America" to offer his views on Bogart (and I remember to this day George being dressed in a sports jacket and red turtleneck, strange how some thing stay with you), he was very complimentary about Bogart's talents.

I think I told you, Alison, that "Invisible Stripes" is my favorite George Raft film. If you like George as a (mostly) good guy, this is a movie I know you will enjoy.
charliechaplinfan

Heck, after sitting through Too Much Too Soon I applaud George for not succumbing to alcohol or substances. That film was both compelling and harrowing.

George was still a snappy dresser, what time period would that have been? Some stars fade into the background wanting to be remembered for what they were, the beautiful face unlined on the big screen but George was very much out and about. Was he a bit like Tony Curtis who was often interviewed about old Hollywood? I say Curtis because I think he must have loved Britain because he was often here and on our TV screens and he was always a good guest.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I knew Tony (a little). He was a very nice fella. In fact, he was going to provide the Foreword to my George Raft book before he became seriously ill with pneumonia some years back. Tony, like Ernie Borgnine, was one of those "Tonight Show" guests who would always walk over to Doc Severinson to shake the maestro's hand before going to sit with Johnny and Ed. Another thing about Tony was whenever he appeared on a program where members of the audience could ask him questions, he would always preface his answer by asking that person's name, then supplying his reply by naming that person. I thought that was so classy.

On the other hand, you had to be very careful about how you phrased questions or comments. Once an interviewer referred to the "young Tony" as being brash. Tony instantly took offense to the remark and was quite vocal in his objection, leaving the interviewer to appear quite sheepish. Fortunately, once that was cleared up, he was back to the same old friendly Tony.
charliechaplinfan

He did do that, he had a wonderful personal empathy about him, I loved to see him on TV. When I was growing up he was always in the tabloid press, he must have been going through a bad time, I'm sure the headlines were about cocaine, that was my first acquaintance with him but it's not the one that lingers. My next was Some Like It Hot and then other movies, as with George I was really surprised how good he was, the tabloids would never talk about his acting. Far more than a pretty face, The Boston Strangler and The Sweet Smell of Success dispelled that and so much respect for Hollywood and old Hollywood stars, especially Cary Grant. He came across that he had a healthy ego but I wonder if underneath was some insecurity. Very definitely far more than a pretty face.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember hearing Tony discuss his marriage to Janet Leigh - he said very candidly that they were very much in love, but that he got the feeling that Leigh was always looking down on him, you know, since he was from the wrong side of the tracks. I've always wondered if that was true, or if some terrible insecurity about his upbringing made him too sensitive.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, Tony did speak quite candidly about Janet, and it rarely was very favorable - for which he took a lot of heat. Definitely Tony had an ego - just read either of his autobiographies and he pulls no punches about how "gorgeous" he was back in the day. I asked Mickey Knox about his feelings towards Tony (both starred in "The City Across the River") and all Mickey said was "He's not mentioned in my book." Some hard feelings there, I'd guess.
charliechaplinfan

I'd never heard of that, Wendy, it would make some sense, they were a beautiful couple.

I read the autobiography he wrote with Barry Paris, he was spirited and I found it a quick read, he was gorgeous back in the day and he never denied it. I can imagine he was a pain in the ass for some to work with, plenty of character though. Thinking about it, it wasn't the first time he's got into trouble for voicing his opinions, I watched a documentary on Some Like it Hot were Tony is denying that he said that kissing Marilyn was like kissing Hitler and then they cut to Jack Lemmon who says that he was sat next to him when he said it and how all the room went quiet because he's dropped such a clanger.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well Alison, nice guy that Tony was (especially to his fans, as is Kirk Douglas), he was notorious for speaking his mind.

I saw Tony not long before his passing when I was in Vegas and he certainly was no longer the matinee idol he once was. Bloated, bald -- very sad.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know it sounds silly, but what exactly does that mean? I've never understood the comment, unless it was meant that she was a racist, yet he also mentions making love to her in another interview and how much fun they had.

I think maybe he was insecure and this made him overcompensate, he opened his mouth too much but that was part of his makeup, and I can relate to a guy who continually puts his foot in his mouth. but hey, I didn't know him so my opinion is just that.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I've never understood the comment
Same here. Other possibilities:

1. She had a funny little mustache that tickled him.
2. She kept giving him the stiff arm.
3. She invaded his territory.
4. She continued to harangue him.
5. She called him Eva.

While in Budapest (city dropper) last fall, we visited the synagogue in the Jewish Quarter that the Gestapo had used as its headquarters (knowing the Allies wouldn't bomb it). That occupation and the neglect that followed the war left it in very sad shape. Apparently Tony Curtis established a foundation for its restoration (it is magnificent) in memory of his parents and thousands of others, and Jamie Lee continues to assist in its operation and funding.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles