WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Jezebel38 wrote:...I wish TCM would pump up their International films - I really enjoyed a couple years back when they showcased the Mexican films. I even liked some of the Bollywood films they showed once - I get a kick out of watching song and dance numbers in movies from other countries.
As usual, we are one, Jeze! Before coming here to check out what Fernando's latest viewings were, I had just written the following in a PM to another Oasis denizen:
I wrote:I wonder if TCM would ever consider a tribute to foreign stars; stars as big in their countries as Garbo and Gable were here. Zarah Leander (Germany), Jean Gabin (France), Jesse Matthews (England), Toshiro Mifune (Japan), Maria Felix (Mexico), perhaps Kanu Bannerjee or some other Bollywood star; devoting a night to each star...
There's a whole list of films that I've long wanted to see; 1940's films from these countries and more. I wish TCM could be our guide.

In the meantime, I wish I could spend a month at Fernando's house; nestled in front of his screen. I fear my dream would be Mr. and Mrs. Fernando's nightmare however. They'd be finding popcorn in their cushions for months after my departure...
feaito

Post by feaito »

Be my guest Moraldo!! In fact, I'm looking for someone to play the TCM Scene It? DVD Game with me :wink: (I bought long ago and I have never played with anybody...)

Yesterday I watched:

"Rachel & the Stranger" (1948). I love this film, but sadly I have a horribly colorized copy taped off of TCM Latin, of washed-out-pastel-colors quality and terribly dubbed in Spanish. I wish it were released on DVD, because it's a very unique film. The three leads' chemistry is great (Loretta Young, William Holden and Bob Mitchum) & they all play very deftly their respective roles. The little boy who plays Holden's son is very natural and talented. I don't recall watching him in another film. Before watching this film I did not know of the existence of indentured servants in the United States (In the film Loretta's sold as such to pay her late dad's debts). Any form of slavery is just unbearable to me, so my sympathy was definitely towards Loretta's character here. A wonderful, honest film.

"My Man Godfrey" (1957). A glossy remake of the 1936 Classic starring June Allyson and David Niven in the parts originally played by Carole Lombard and William Powell. The film's not at all up to the level of the original, but Niven was OK as the butler. June Allyson, an actress which I'm quite fond of, is sadly miscast; at 40 she's unbelievable as a girl under 25 years old; besides she's not believable as a dizzy, air-headed, dumb socialite; She definitely was more suited to play the no-nonsense type. She tries but does not succeed. It's a pity because she's a gifted actress. Jessie Royce Landis fares much better as her even dizzier mother. Martha Hyer, though extremely pretty lacks Gail Patrick's menacing quality as Cordelia. Hyer is merely spoiled. Interesting but unnecessary remake. June Allyson was much, much better in the highly enjoyable 1956 musical remake of "The Women", "The Opposite Sex", which I think has been unfairly criticized and underrated over the years.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Feaito:

Naturally I'm a big fan of Rachel and the Stranger, mainly because Bob Mitchum is one of the stars, but you are 100% correct in saying the three stars played off of one another beautifully. They read off their lines as if they were ad-libbing didn't they?

As for My Man Godfrey, I never knew a remake had been made. I hope they play it some time on TCM, I'm curious about it now that I know it exists.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

mrsl wrote:Feaito:

Naturally I'm a big fan of Rachel and the Stranger, mainly because Bob Mitchum is one of the stars, but you are 100% correct in saying the three stars played off of one another beautifully. They read off their lines as if they were ad-libbing didn't they?
Yes Anne. Again: Who ever said that Bob Mitchum wasn't a good actor? Each time I see more of his films I'm quite impressed by his talent & charisma.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw "The Water Horse" at the theater last week, and I had a great time. I guess it is "too British" for American audiences. I would have thought the "Harry Potter" films would have cured Americans of that, but "Water Horse" is set in WWII instead of a "wizarding world."

Anyway, "Water Horse" had a well-structured plot and a fine cast. The special effects were very well done in that the creature actually seemed to have a personality.

Does anyone remember a British children's movie from the Fifties about a Loch Ness type creature? I think the word "Monster" was in the title. I saw it at a library matinee one afternoon.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last night I watched the Borzage Film "Street Angel" with Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. It's a very Romantic, allegoric and poetic Silent. I liked it as much as "Seventh Heaven". Gaynor's character is not just a helpless waif here; she's lively, spirited, I'd even say willful, and looks radiant and pretty in many scenes, especially before going to prison.

A vintage film.
Last edited by feaito on January 9th, 2008, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Fernando wrote:Last night I watched the Borzage Film "Street Angel" with Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. ...
We're on a Borzage roll! As I just watched MGM's The Shining Hour on TCM. What a spectacularly dreadful effort. JohnM won't understand my feeling, but 1) I loved this film, and 2) thought it was terrible.

Joan Crawford is a nightclub dancer who marries gentleman farmer Melvyn Douglas. The movie opens at the nightclub where we see Joan dancing to a jazz version of Chopin's Waltz in c sharp minor (trust me, you'd know it if you heard it). It's a ridiculous swing band arrangement, of course, but made all the moreso when matched to Crawford's unintended imitation of a clydesdale on the dance floor. Her dance partner was Tony DeMarco (who we all know from Busby Berkeley's The Gang's All Here). As usual, with 1930's Crawford pictures, I'm mesmerized by her. Such a fascinating face; all handsome angles and surprising arcs. Adrian's shoulder pads have begun sprouting. The most surprising costuming choice was that she wore the gold lame pleated gown she also wears in the finale of The Women. One day dress uses the same pattern as Eleanor Powell's "Begin the Beguine" number, with the addition of shoulder pads that could act as flying buttresses on Notre Dame.

There's a great deal of sexual tension in this movie that works. And an excellent supporting cast: Hattie McDaniel, Allyn Joslyn, Fay Bainter, Bess Flowers. They support the main cast which also includes the whispering Margaret Sullavan and nebbish Robert Young. Once Crawford arrives on the farm (where crops and livestock are never shown, and where the men are often found in black tie; but I stressed gentlemen farmers, didn't I?) Young rediscovers that he can play the piano -- the Chopin Waltz, of course -- which haunts Crawford with memories of her heady days in cafe society. It was interesting to see Bainter playng a peer, rather than their mother; and she's quite evil in the role. The SPOILERs must begin now: Bainter goes mad and burns down Douglas' and Crawford's dream house (bringing a new meaning to "shining hour", as the flames reflect on the horrified cast). She's so loony, that it's surprising to find her making coffee the next day as if nothing's gone awry. I assumed they had her committed! But no, her hair is combed back in place and she's serving java as if everyone had forgotten her raving previous evening.

The greatest laugh was reserved for Sullavan's sick bed scene. In an ultimate sacrifice, she tried to immolate herself; thus freeing Young for Crawford. She survives valiantly; and Young finds her in bed, wrapped like a mummy with only her sparkling, false eyelashed eyes exposed. It was a Carol Burnett moment and secured this movie in its spot over the top. A howler. I loved it.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, I've seen a lot of stuff lately.

"The Old Fashioned Way," a very good W. C. Fields film. I was actually surprised that it had a coherent plot, and I enjoyed seeing Fields take advantage of the stuffy townspeople.

"Man on the Flying Trapeze," another Fields film. Again, this was more tightly structured than "It's a Gift." I liked the scene with the burglars and the scene with the traffic cops.

"The Shanghai Gesture." It won't be my favorite von Sternberg, but parts of it (the gambling hall and the mysterious owner) reminded me of "Casablanca." The last 20 minutes or so of the film, the fateful dinner party, was easily the best and saved the film for me.

"The Letter" I liked the beginning of the film and the ending of the film, but I thought it sagged in the middle when Davis was incarcerated. I've never been that big a Bette Davis fan anyway.

"Sabrina" Where has this movie been all my life? Wonderfully funny and charming. It was a revelation to see Bogie play comedy, and everything seemed to work. One of my favorite Wilders
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

feaito wrote:I watched the very fine action-adventure yarn "Seven Sinners" (1941) with Marlene Dietrich as an alluring, tempestuous and extremely notorious "entertainer" (Bijou) in the Indonesian islands. Marlene gets to wear some gorgeous clothes (Irene creations) and jewels, very implausible for the locales of the film, but then she's THE Diva. Broderick Crawford is a joy to behold as sailor who's devoted to her protection and Mischa Auer is very fien as a con man and thief who travels with la Dietrich. John Wayne is the Navy Officer she falls for; Anna Lee is the daughter of the Governor of one of the Islands, who's fond of Wayne; Billy Gilbert is totally amusing as the owner of the "Seven Sinners" tavern; Oscar Homolka is a menacing fiend in love with Bijou and Albert Dekker is a hardened doctor.

Grade A entertainment.

Grade AA entertainment! The first paring of Dietrich and John Wayne and probably the best. They had great chemistry in this one.
I love her line at the beginning "...of inciting and exciting a riot. Of being a public nuisance. I make rough seas. I set the jungle on fire. I'm a baaaad influence!" And her rendition of "The Man's In the Navy" is fantastic.

I'm looking for this one on DVD. I have an older VHS.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Watched "La Vie en Rose" the other day. I was looking forward to it, because I do like Piaf's music. I'm not sure I liked it. It wasn't the acting--Cotillard is amazing. It was more the way it was structured--it jumped around her life in a way I found confusing, and I guess the writers just assumed that anyone watching the film must be very familiar with Piaf's life story, because they never explained who a lot of the people hanging around her hotel and dressing rooms were. Has anyone else seen this film and if so, were you confused too?

It was a lovely film to look at though and of course the music was fanastic. Once I gave up trying to understand and just sort of let myself get caught up in the performances, I found it a lot more enjoyable.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

sandykaypax wrote:I saw Atonement. Beautiful film. I read the novel a few years ago, and the adaptation is very faithful. There is a long tracking shot in the World War II section of the film depicting the British troops waiting on the beach at Dunkirk that is breathtaking. It really made me FEEL like I was there, experiencing it through the character's eyes and soul. Lots of great imagery, and good performances. I will watch this one again to catch all the nuances.

I still haven't seen Sweeney Todd. I was in a production of it several years ago, so I am looking forward to this one. I don't love lots of gore in film, but I figure that since I know where the gory parts are, I can look away if I need to. There's been quite a bit of debate in the Cleveland theatre community about some of the choices that director Tim Burton made. Sandy K

I've never seen a theatre production of "Sweeney Todd," though I saw the film from a few years ago with Ben Kinglsey and Joanna Lumley. No music--they told it as a striaght horror/detective story, set in what looked like the late 18th century. Todd and Mrs Lovett were portrayed as long-term serial killers (there's a refernce to "the lat time" so I assumed they'd been at this for a while.)There's an overly dedicated jewel courier from the US who plays detective and uncovers their dastardly deeds. Lumley was disgustlingly compelling as Mrs Lovett, a pie merchant who does a bit of "discipline" in the afternoons.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

sandykaypax wrote:I saw Atonement. Beautiful film. I read the novel a few years ago, and the adaptation is very faithful. There is a long tracking shot in the World War II section of the film depicting the British troops waiting on the beach at Dunkirk that is breathtaking. It really made me FEEL like I was there, experiencing it through the character's eyes and soul. Lots of great imagery, and good performances. I...
I still haven't seen Sweeney Todd. I was in a production of it several years ago, so I am looking forward to this one. I don't love lots of gore in film, but I figure that since I know where the gory parts are, I can look away if I need to.
Atonement was my favorite film of 2007. I was glad that you brought up the amazing Dunkirk scene, Paxy, as a pal of mine didn't like that scene. He thought it was self-indulgent and unnecessary to the film. That one scene kind of ruined the movie for him. I thought it was moving, and exposed to the audience the kind of horrors the male character would have gone through.

Anyway, have you seen Sweeney Todd yet? I don't care for gore either, but confidently attended a screening since I'd seen theatrical productions of it, so knew when to avert my eyes. **SPOILER** So let me give you this warning: Burton has a little surprise for us. After the [extremely bloody] throat slashing, Todd has rigged the chair to dispose of the body. It shoots down a chute and the cadaver usually lands in very awkward positions, causing it to break its neck and spinal column. So I learned: 1) cover the eyes just before the slash; 2) wait for the sound of the breaking bones before uncovering them. And yes, he's created a strong character without employing "outlandish costumes with more outlandish make-up" [a poke to Anne :wink: ].

Note: I memorized the lines on the palms of my hands by the end of this beautiful movie.

I thought Burton did a great job. The cuts to the score worked alright; Beedle's spoken lines worked; I didn't care for the placement of "Have a Little Priest" (it's sung about what they're going to do, instead of describing the joys of the delicacies they're already successfully making). Unfortunately, Helena Bonham Carter has erased all the ironic delight from Mrs. Lovett's character. But Depp's brooding Todd was far more successful than I expected.

[Thanks Tracy, for the unintended nudge on Paxy's post!]
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

With my daughter and grandkids stuck in Wisconsin with a flat tire, and my son stuck at home with one son running a 101 fever, my yearly birthday dinner had to be indefinitely postponed, so I sit here with scrambled eggs for dinner, but go ahead Rubini, 'poke' all you want, I can take it!!!
:wink:

Anyway I've been reading up on both Atonement and Sweeney Todd and although I want to see the first as soon as I can, I still cannot believe my heroine Ms. Lansbury was Mrs. Lovett, or that anyone would go to see it knowing it was a Tim Burton creation. Oh the fateful glimmer of repetition has put a shroud over our eyes (and I'm not talking about the onset of cataracts). Still afraid of nightmares, I guess I'll just let it pass into obliteration like so many do, once they get to DVD status.

Anne
Anne

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Well, happy birthday Anne!

Sorry your family can't be there to share it with you but a cyber cake is on its way from your cyber family here at the Oasis!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As so usual, at 3:00 a.m. I was channel surfing and happily found a 1959 movie I've seen before, but it's been a while and I was glad I found it. The Young Philadelphians is about a main line lawyer and his trials and tribulations. He starts out with two strikes against him because his mother, although legally married to the son of one of the biggest families, is not acceptable and sonny gets himself dead in an auto before he even knows hes going to be a daddy. So Mom goes home and raises Paul Newman as if they had the coin of the realm, with Brian Keith (a wild Irishman) standing in the background playing stand-in dad, and more than willing to be hubby, but mom can't give up the ritzy name.

So Paul becomes a terrific tax lawyer, makes buddies among the hoity-toity set as Mom wishes, and falls for Barbara Rush. Very much in love, her Daddy steps in a makes an offer Paul can't refuse, and before you know it, Barbara is married to another guy and Paul becomes a hard case. During this time he has a fling with Alexis Smith, who looks marvelous (I thought she was older than the 38 she was, so she was not that much older than Paul at the time). Anyway she and her hubby get him into the tax division of hubbys' company and he runs into an old college/army buddy who has had his inheritance filched and is up for murder. It all culminates in the trial which is pretty interesting, and along the way other little side things happen to enrich the plot. It's a pleasant 2 hours, and I recommend it since it is on HBO this month in case you haven't seen it, or don't recall it.

Besides the people I've mentioned, the cast includes Robert Vaughn as the buddy, Billie Burke as a ditzy old rich lady, and Diane Brewster, who you might recall from all the Warner Bros. TV P.I. shows of the 50's. At times this film is reminiscent of From the Terrace because of the main line connections, and Paul Newman at the helm, but it's a lower budget although I think the plot is better because it doesn't have all the enhancements thrown in for show.

When that was over, I easily slipped over one channel to Our Man Godfrey, but once again, fell asleep about half way through. I guess I'm just not one for all screw-ball comedy. I like Mad Miss Manton, but never warmed up a lot to Carol Lombard although she made most of her career in screw-ball, I prefer her in drama, or plain comedy. She gets a little too shreaky, and over the top for me.

Anne
Anne