'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

We are well supplied. A little headline came across the Baltimore Sun site and said it might be 30 inches now. I have friends tell me they tried to go to Blockbuster but the lines were so long. I told them that I am my own Blockbuster.

I'm ready.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Just be careful, mm.

Don't slip or shovel too heartily.

And that goes for the rest of you, too! We don't want anymore accidents....
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

To all of you goof balls out there looking out their windows, if you want snow, come here and check my front window. Santa would be proud.

* * * * * Yuk, Yuk, Yuk, Yuk. * * * * *
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey Chris, if you're out there, CHECK IN....it's sounding pretty scary over your way :cry:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hope everything is alright out your way, Chris.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm here. In my zip code we had 30" though not at my house. It is more like 25. Other than having more snow than I can move and no place to put it we are well. We have had no power issues thought many near DC do. The early snow was wetter than the rest of it. I have a tall evergreen at the end of my house that was so heavy with snow that it was bent over blocking my neighbor's way into her house. (We are in a townhome.)

The only real worry is whether the weight of the snow brings down any gutters or trees in the back. My daughter is expected at work at noon tomorrow at a restaurant. I doubt we'll get cleared enough to get out.

I did fall a couple of times but the snow is so deep there was never any danger but being wet. I paced myself. I don't want anymore back trouble and I would very much like to delay my first heart attack.

I'm in for the night.

Oh, one more thing. We didn't get near the wind velocity they were forecasting. In fact that was pretty mild.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

Glad to hear that you are okay. We've had rain here the last two days. Yesterday was non-stop for almost 30 hours with thunder and lightening early this morning.

We are getting mudslides in the burn areas of the outer Angeles Crest forest area and a number of homes have been destroyed.

It is clearing up but windy today. Light rain and more on Tuesday are in our forecast.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris and Lynn, it sounds like you have each had more than your fair share of moisture. Chris, please do not try to be the first on the block to have a cleared walk and driveway! It just isn't worth the back and stress issues.
Lynn, are you anywhere near the slide areas? That really sounds scary, I hope you are safe, too.

We are supposed to get another storm here Sunday thru Tuesday. Did I miss the "winter is now 6 months long" memo????
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Nancy and Ro:
Well? Is it coming?
B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

sorry to say it, but yes, it's headed your way :(

it was just kind of misting/snowing, and melting as it hit the ground. The temps have dropped like a ROCK, and now it's icing up....UGH. Where's the complaint dept??? Right behind Chris, Lynn, Stephen, Judith, Klonnie....ok, never mind...grumble grumble grumble
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I just checked NYC weather on Weather.com, and they are still saying that although there will be snow beginning tomorrow night, the temps during the day for the rest of the week will be above freezing. This usually translates into nothing much to show in Manhattan, and a big soggy mess in the rest of the City and environs. The snow we got on Saturday, about an inch in Brooklyn, was essentially gone by Sunday because of mildish temperatures. There's just the usual ridge of frozen snow along the curbs.

Areas around us got hit bad last time, but we were spared. There's still lots more winter, though.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Nancy,

We are doing fine here in the Valley. The people in the burn areas of the Angeles Crest Forest are having a tough time of it.

But here at CasaCutter we are preparing for more rain tomorrow!

Hope Chris is thawing out!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

NYC (Manhattan and the Bronx, at least) got lucky this past weekend -- the snow missed us entirely.

But there are six to twelve inches predicted for Tuesday night into Wednesday for NYC and Long Island.

I've arranged to take a vacation day on Wednesday.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks for the update, Lynn. I hope the rains stop soon and you stay dry. Those mudslide scenes on the news are really frightening. Chris, if you're tuned in.."ping" us...
PT, that's the best use of a vacation day, other than seeing Paris, you can do!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi all! Finally got out of the neighborhood tonight. The main street is still plenty snow covered. Some of the highways are hit and miss as to how clean they are. Everyone is safe at my house. Some of our friends weren't so lucky. One friend fell in a parking lot and fractured six ribs. One of Carolann's friends fell and hit her head. She went to the hospital, who sent her home, and then today passed out and went into a coma by the time EMTs got to her. They had to drill a hole in her skull to relieve the pressure but all looks well.

If all the weather wasn't bad enough they are calling for 10 to 20 inches more tomorrow into Wednesday. I can't throw the snow high enough to get it out of the way anymore.

We didn't open the office today and with tomorrow looking as it is we are't doing tomorrow and may not be there until at least Thursday.

I'm tired and sore and not looking forward to the next couple of days.

I hope all of you are well and warm. I'll give you updates along the way.

Oh, thank you all for your concern. All of you are so wonderful and am lucky to have you for friends. You are a blessing.
Chris