WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the info, Mich! Hey I recognize that avatar... can you refresh my memory? Is it Dracula's Daughter? I just can't bring up titles like a used to.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

BINGO Jackaaaaay!!! (And you think you have no credibility!) That's the beautiful Gloria Holden. Great movie!!! I luv it. Oh, I like your Carol Borland. I was surprised by "MARK OF THE VAMPIRE." First off, seeing Barrymore in something like that...

Yesterday I saw two modern-day movies. "CONTAGION" which was a bleak look at what happens when an infectious disease spreads world-wide and the lengths society goes. All star cast, but it worked. The other one I would whole-heartedly recommend (but not for the kiddies!) is "DRIVE" starring Ryan (Six-Pack) Gosling. Oh yeah...he's got the acting chops alllllright. In spades. Albert Brooks gives a very commanding performance too. This film was e x c e l l e n t! It might make for a bit uncomfortable "movie night" but I enjoyed it very much.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ryan Gosling is the only young'un that I think really has the acting chops.

And the abs..... :D

I lost my cred again.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm impressed with a young actor named Ryan Phillipe. Only seen him a couple of times. But he makes it real for me.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Philippe was very good as the cop in "CRASH."

Did anyone lose their cred? I found someone's cred over here in the corner. It was all crumpled up and tossed aside....

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey! That's MINE! :D :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A week's detention for anyone caught passing cred.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'd like some if there is any left over.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You've always had yours MM'57...here...there...every where.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ryan Phillippe was in two of of my favorite contemporary movies, Gosford Park & Playing By Heart. A stinker and a good guy... :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

KEVIN, what a succession of great avatars....Gloria Holden?...Dracula's Daughter?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I wacthed the highly entertaining "North to Alaska" (1960), a great "buddy" movie set in the Klondike were pals John Wayne and Stewart Granger hit the jack pot and find a gold mine....Fabian plays Granger's "overheated" kid brother. Ernie Kovacs is a rotten character who tries to steal everything he can...Super elegant and classy Capucine (some say she wasn't believable as girl from the wrong side of the tracks for this reason, after all she had been a model for Dior, Chanel et al and pretty much like Dina Merrill and Audrey Hepburn she exuded class and would look elegant even if she wore a sack) plays a woman of loose morals whom Wayne befriends while in Seattle. Beautiful location cinematography, wonderful sights and lots of brawls and action.

I also revisited the hilarious Jack Conway comedy "Love Crazy" (1941), which not only benefits from the totally winning combination of Myrna Loy and Bill Powell (one of their best along with "I love You Again"), but of excellent performances by Gail Patrick (as a playful, flirtatious woman), Jack Carson (as an athletic ladykiller), Florence Bates (as everyone's nightmarish idea of a meddling mother-in-law) et al. And Bill Powell in drag is something to behold! Especially when he slaps on the face Carson's annoying character.. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Fer, I really like North to Alaska, Capucine is one of the reasons I am attracted to it in the first place. I think she's very good as the girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Her frustration with Wayne and his with her make the film very enjoyable. I think they spark off each other very well.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

John Wayne had a keen flair for comedy, and this is one of his funnier efforts. There's McCLINTOCK. His repartee with McClaglen in "Yellow Ribbon." But this may be the best example of John Wayne, Comedian.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think you are right Red. He also played very well off of most of his leading ladies. This is why it's so fun to watch him with Capucine, there is always a give and take happening, whether the woman is continental, or down home. I think because she is so regal in some ways, it is hilarious to watch them battle it out, strength for strength. . It's so obvious that Wayne loves what he is doing and loves the women he worked with. There's a lot of joy here, and he never seems condescending in his acting, even if his character is supposed to be.