WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Maven, I LOVED Youngblood Hawke. This one is right up there or maybe even surpassing Peyton Place as my favorite potboiler (I had to explain the word potboiler to hubby, who is very literal, growing up with German parents).

The cinematography was superb. it was the most beautiful potboiler I've ever seen, and that included Sirk's colorful extravaganzas. Class. This movie had class, even while it was digging around in the dirt. Too bad we had to spend so much time inside. which wasn't bad either.

OK. First off, I want Frieda Winter's(what an exceptionally good name for this character) home - the frenchy one with acres of space and dripping with expensive artwork? The sets were to die for - even the 60 dollar a month hole was stylish, and looked like my sister's 1000 dollar apartment when she moved to NYC years and years ago.

I really liked Page, she was a surprise. She totally captured my interest, and I felt sorry for her, even though it was obvious she was no good for Youngblood (His real name is Arthur????). She also had the BEST dress in the whole movie. I wish I could post a picture of it. It was black, had a straight across-boatneck-Givenchy-Audrey Hepburn neckline with no sleeves, a plunging back, triangulated to the tightly fitted waist with a straight pencil line in the front to fall just above the ankles, and with these three ....billows in the back of the skirt that opened it to make it possible for her to walk. It was drop dead design GORGEOUS. As were all the costumes.

James Franciscus was also a surprise - he was GOOD! I never felt he was overreaching or out of character, and I liked him, plus he was as gorgeous as Richard Chamberlain but with blonde hair and that cute accent. Adorable, but a good actor.

Suzanne was no surprise, she was just herself, wonderful, but I did wish she had more of a role. She was dynamic and beautiful, and has that smoky voice that almost purrs. I love her, and I thought her best moment was when Youngblood asked her down to his pool house in Florida or Palm Springs (?) and she arrived, only to find that Genevieve Page had shown up already, and outmaneuvered her by playing house with him. Her bombshell, telling YH that her steady boss had proposed, had such a profound affect on YH that he couldn't take his eyes off her for the rest of the meal that she indelicately stayed to eat! I just loved it!

That boss of hers was a gem - I don't know too many sixties actors, but I really liked this guy!

I also enjoyed seeing Mary Astor, who had far too little to do - though her last scene when the play folded was done so graciously I wanted the movie to go on and follow her instead of YH.

My favorite after Mary was definitely Edward Andrews, who made a career out of playing uncomfortably slimy individuals and businessmen... this time playing that lowest of the low, a critic. I found his performance really full - he was so evil minded in that first scene, but later, I actually felt he had some principles. In the scene where he lambasted YH's new play... he was somehow cutting and dignified at the same time, and you got the impression that in this most devastating of all the scenes, he was doing YH a favor by telling him the truth, which no one else would do.

John Dehner gave a really awful performance, I thought, but in keeping with the potboiler nature of the story. :D I don't think I've ever seen him do this before, but then his character was supposed to be so over the top and ridiculous, he only did what was called for.

Mildred Dunnock was exceptional, as was John Emery, who I would have run off with at the drop of a hat. He was very John Barrymore, if you ask me. What an old charmer.

I watched straight through and had a blast. Movies like this are food for a girl's soul - all those gowns and chic apartments and lovers.... And it was kind of weird watching this publishing world, and then watching the one in Sex and the Single Girl later on in the afternoon!

Here's hoping TCM runs Youngblood Hawke often!

LOVED IT!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Feo...one question since you talked about "IN THIS OUR LIFE." I know Bette worked with her frequent leading GEORGE BRENT. But he also worked with Stanwyck.

Who do YOU think George Brent worked better with Bette Davis or Barbara Stanwyck?
Theresa, I'd say that with Barbara Stanwyck, because of William Wellman's "The Purchase Price" (1932), in which George Brent is in rare form and might well have played one of the best roles of his career. In it Barbara Stanwyck plays a nightclub entertainer who’s fed up with her life –and married lover Lyle Talbot- and ends up living unwittingly in a farm with the character impersonated by George Brent.

George Brent’s performance as a naïve, sort of shy farmer impressed my favorably, because it’s quite different from the kind of roles he usually played and in my opinion he succeeded at it; with that “surprised” look on his face. When he first meets Stanwyck and he’s permanently sniffling –because of a cold-, which deeply annoys Stanwyck, I giggled constantly.

The characters’ romantic relationship is very well handled by the director, who builds up an intense sexual tension between both of them. There is a perfect balance between romance and action in this film and it succeeds in depicting with sincerity the building of the relationship between the two lead characters; I “bought” every inch of it and that’s a result of Stanwyck’s tremendous talent, Wellman’s handling of the story and of Brent’s good performance.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I need to see The Purchase Price! I am more and more respecting Wellman as a director. He's never cloying, usually he elicits brutally honest performances from his casts..... he could do comedy and drama. A really fine director who doesn't make a big splash, but succeeds pretty much every time.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

You might want to cast a look at So Big directed by Wellman with Stanwyck, Davis and Brent, even I thought Brent was sexy in this one. Wellman never fails to deliver with Stanwyck.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've seen it, and it's funny you would say that - I wish that Brent had had a larger role in it, his protrayal of Roelf was so good.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][color=#400000][u]Gary J.[/u][/color][/b] wrote: Simple. Everyone. For me Brent was just a cipher as a leading man.

Maybe I should clarify that a bit. In some of his programmers he made in the mid-thirties, such as FRONT PAGE WOMEN (35) and GIVE ME YOUR HEART (36), he actually comes off as lively and fun on the screen. But the moment that Bette Davis' star ascended on the Warner's lot and Brent started becoming her frequent co-star he became more stiff and leaden to me.
I gotcha Gary. I thought Brent had his moments with Bette “JEZEBEL”) and Babsy ("MY REPUTATION”). But I also know he’s famous for being wooden. Ha! Can’t have been easy with those two powerhouses on the lot at various times. Maybe he needed less powerful leading ladies...or acting lessons. Thanx for answering.
[b][u][color=#800000]feaito[/color][/u][/b] wrote:Theresa, I'd say that with Barbara Stanwyck, because of William Wellman's "The Purchase Price" (1932), in which George Brent is in rare form and might well have played one of the best roles of his career. In it Barbara Stanwyck plays a nightclub entertainer who’s fed up with her life –and married lover Lyle Talbot- and ends up living unwittingly in a farm with the character impersonated by George Brent...The characters’ romantic relationship is very well handled by the director, who builds up an intense sexual tension between both of them. There is a perfect balance between romance and action in this film and it succeeds in depicting with sincerity the building of the relationship between the two lead characters; I “bought” every inch of it and that’s a result of Stanwyck’s tremendous talent, Wellman’s handling of the story and of Brent’s good performance.
I wasn’t too crazy about "The Purchase Price” probably b’cuz my shallow nature always wants to see Georgie looking urban, urbane and sophisticated. But there’s no doubt Brent and Stanwyck had chemistry. Maybe I’ve got to give that movie another chance. I enjoyed your critique. I’ve been known to be wrong. Poor Wild Bill...he lost out in the recent polls. Tsk! Tsk!
[b][u][color=#408000]charliechaplinfan[/color][/u][/b] wrote:You might want to cast a look at So Big directed by Wellman with Stanwyck, Davis and Brent, even I thought Brent was sexy in this one. Wellman never fails to deliver with Stanwyck.
I’ve never seen it, but I did see some of the Jane Wyman version. I think it’s fascinating that Bette and Barbara appear in the same movie. If memory serves me right, they didn’t appear in a scene together, but please correct me if I'm mis-remembering. And to think those two would become the top powerhouses of all time.
[b][u][color=#804040]Jack Favell[/color][/u][/b] wrote:I don't think he's such a cipher in Jezebel. I think that when he had something interesting to play, he was interesting. My favorites are: 'The Spiral Staircase' 'The Rains Came' 'Jezebel' 'Baby Face' 'Female'...
I've never seen "Female" and not a good solid sitting with "The Spiral Staircase" but you've named two of my favorite performances of his ("Jezebel" "The Rains Came"). And even though this isn't Bette or Barbara, I thought he had a light touch in his comedy ("Honeymoon For Three.") He kind of looked like a rugged Charlie Ruggles. Thanx.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u][color=#0040BF]JackFavell[/color][/u][/b] wrote:Maven, I LOVED Youngblood Hawke. This one is right up there or maybe even surpassing Peyton Place as my favorite potboiler (I had to explain the word potboiler to hubby, who is very literal, growing up with German parents)...
Oh boy, Whew! Nothing worse than raving about a movie that folks won't like. Potboiler. Perfect description. I can see how that'd get 'lost in translation. So, you overcame your mechanical difficulties. Good.

Yes, the movie was classy. The studio spared no expense, especially if they went on location. I'm telling you THAT was New York City. That black and white had a sheen to it.

You liked Frieda's place? Ha...Oooooh, you live large I see. I liked the Sutton Place apartment right near the 59th Street bridge that the actor lived in, although that little Brooklyn Heights hovel would have suit my needs as well. Your sister's rent sounds just about right...for a little hole in the wall here in NYC. Not much has changed I see.

OMG! THAT DRESS!!! That dress was to die for. It was drop dead gorgeous. My jaw dropped when I saw it, and I'm no clotheshorse. The last time I had a reaction like that was looking at the dress Julia Roberts wore when she won her Academy Award. When I saw it on the red carpet...Your description astounds me. PERFECT DESCRIPTION. I could never be that descriptive about clothes other than to say skirt, pants, green blue. Girl, I see you at Vogue. Anyway, the "little black dress" that Frieda wore should be copied by some actress today with a gorgeous figure.

I wound up liking Genevieve Page. I went in thinking I would dislike her becuz she was the vamp that took Artie Youngblood from Suzanne Pleshette. I kept expecting to diss her. I kind of kept waiting for her to have her fill of him and then dump this Kentucky boy. Hmmm, hey...who was using whom???? He kind of took...took...took ...took...took. Didn't he? But she had a choice as well. He did ask her to marry him. She went through a believable series of emotions after Mama walked in on them. Frieda has it out with him. Yeah yeah yeah...a lot of talk...talk...talk. Just leave, just go. Naaaah, don't go...talk some more (I love it). That's what potboilers are all about. Frieda says:

"I suppose her seeing us like that brought back that swift attack of Christian conscience. Then wasn't it rather cheap of you to make love to me after such a...a noble decision. You renounce me like a good repentant sinner. But when that volcanic urge of yours comes back, and it will, you'll have to come to me. I won't come to you."

Frieda did get the short end, didn't she. Genevieve Page reminds me of those 1960's European girls that came over here to do movies: Elke Sommer, Camilla Sparv, Catherine Spaak, Senta Berger, Virna Lisi et al.

I thought Franciscus was good too. He was carrying the entire movie so I was watching him. (Well, I was watching him 'cuz I loved him ever since "Mr. Novak." (I think he was married to William Wellman's daughter). Wasn't Chamberlain a blonde as well? Maybe not as blonde but I remember some ash blonde hair. When Youngblood gets the phone call about the suicide, he breaks down right in front of us. That was good.

This is no secret...I'm a big Suzanne Pleshette fan. Several male friends have told me they couldn't even see past her to 'Tippi' Hedren in "THE BIRDS." She's got such conviction to her character. I always believe her. Over at the Oasis, Sue Sue Applegate sites an Internet Archive five-part interview with Suzanne Pleshette which I highly recommend if you're a fan. If you find time between cooking and sewing a 'straight across-boatneck-Givenchy-Audrey Hepburn neckline with no sleeves, a plunging back...' check it out. And yes you're right, she didn't have much to do in this movie. (Have you ever seen "A RAGE TO LIVE"? She's got a lot to do in that movie!) Ha...outmaneuvered in the Bahamas. Good scene. Both gals were very sophisticated and 'grown-up' about liking the same man. Only in the movies...in real life I see hair pulling and nail scratching. Or maybe not. Is he worth it? Well, I don't care what Pleshette has to do in a movie.

His name is Mark Miller. Did you ever see the tv show: "PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES" with Patricia Crowley? (His daughter is actress Penelope Ann Miller). He was handsome...and in this movie he was a good guy to go on the rebound with. He'd never hurt her...and I believe he respected Pleshette's character as a smart lady who knew her job, and could help his company.

Aaaah Mary...Mary. That's your girl, right? Just give her three days' work, some good lines, fly her down to Nassau and send her a paycheck. She'll elevate your project. Still love her voice.

The only time I wasn't uncomfortable watching Edward Andrews in a movie, was as the doctor in "SEND ME NO FLOWERS." Other than that, I always feel he's going to molest someone. But he did his part here very well, calling on the ghost of Addison DeWitt. No doubt he's a good solid character actor. I liked Don Porter's performance in the office trying to get YH a better contract. He reminded me of Edmond O'Brien in "THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA."

Ol' Millie wasn't no mealy mouth Mama-type here. She was a fighter. I thought of John Barrymore too. He was good. Saaaaaay, how 'bout when Emery reached around and tied YH's tuxedo tie. What did you make of that? I laughed. I've never seen that. Then to see it mirrored later by Suzanne, well.....

I'm so glad you did. GUILTY PLEASURES: GOOD FOR THE SOUL!

charliechaplinfan

Cinemaven, they do appear on screen together at the end of the movie, only Barbara is wearing makeup that ages her whilst Bette is the girlfriend of her son.

I'm a bit torn on George Brent, I used to think he was a bit of a poor woman's Errol Flynn, minus the heroics but after reading what Wendy has to say I realise I agree and I've enjoyed him in those movies, a leading lady who is more demure does him a favour. I've seen him most often with Bette Davis and to be honest there aren't many leading men who command the screen when she's on it, the only ones that come to mind are stars of the same magnitude that had there own charisma that matched hers. Brent was in another category but dependable.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I hear ya. Sometimes dependability is reliable if not exciting. You say Stanwyck ages. This often fascinated me with movies: when you saw an aged Barbara Stanwyck in "SO BIG" did she look anything like the aged Stanwyck in "THE BIG VALLEY" or "THE THORNBIRDS"?? If a star was lucky enough to still be in films when they aged, they rarely look like they did at 30, with Old-Age make-up on. Why is that?

Did you see "YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE"?

And one teensy bit of trivia while I was watch Darryl Hickman and Vincent Price in "THE TINGLER" last night. It occurred to me that Hickman and Price both appeared in "LAURA," though not at the same time.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! I haven't seen SO BIG in close to fifty years! And, like Cinemaven, that was the Wyman version. Never seen the other.
charliechaplinfan

No she didn't look like she did in The Thornbirds but she the ageing makeup in So Big was good, when she and Bette were on screen together it didn't look ridiculous.

I didn't see Youngblood Hawke, I'm in the UK but guys, you've made it sound so interesting.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Alison, I wish I'd gotten a dvd of it. My dvd player conked out at the last minute and I didn't get a copy. Now I wish I had.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm going to check with our "go to" guy in Texas and see if HE got it. I'll let'cha know.

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Speaking of stars aging in films and how they looked when they aged in real life, the most impressive example for me is Vincent Price in "The Three Musketeers" (1948). He plays Cardinal Richelieu.

I saw this film at the New Mayfield in 1982, and Price looked EXACTLY as he looked when he appeared on talk shows or hosted Mystery. I think the audience was a bit spooked by this.
charliechaplinfan

That would be so kind of you Cinemaven, I think your guy knows me :wink: