'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by klondike »

Bellows Falls picked up 23" of snow in 28 hours, mid-week, and now we're being treated to on-going, intermittent icy rains with gusting winds.
In the breaks between, the sky opens up triumphantly, looking like a stained-glass pastoral.
patful

Post by patful »

In Texas, we're finally getting a break from the cold weather. It snowed again Monday, but melted before sunset. It was sleeting again this morning when I fed the squirrels, but switched to rain when I left the house. Sorry the rest of you are getting it, but I'm certainly glad it's out of here, for now at least. Supposed to be 60F tomorrow! Yay!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Professional Tourist wrote:Thank goodness the local deli-restaurant was delivering this morning; I'm full and warm. I think this would be a good day to watch Barefoot in the Park.

Branches and whole trees were falling in Central Park yesterday, from the weight of the snow. After a man was killed by a falling branch the police were ordering people out of the park. Story here.
I feel as though one of the worst things about winter is when I hear stories such as that, PT. The death of that poor person in the park was tragic. You must be getting heavy, moisture-laden snow this round in the NYC area. A few years ago in Buffalo, which has some very beautiful parks, (with some designs by Frederick Olmsted too), there was a similar storm. 100 year old and older trees, as well as newer growth snapped in two all over town. It took months to clear it all and to begin replanting--though we'll have to live another 50 years to see them making another canopy of green again in the Spring like the ones made by those falling today in Central Park.

I'm glad that you don't have to hustle into work today.

Patful,
Didn't you get a lot of rain recently in Texas?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
patful

Post by patful »

moirafinnie wrote:Didn't you get a lot of rain recently in Texas?
I think so. It's all a blur. Since Christmas Eve, we've had over fifteen inches of snow (didn't melt for three weeks), and I have no idea how much rain. Fortunately, we've had no ice, which is usually the only precip we get in winter. The back yard has been under water for much of that time. Every time I think it's dried out a little and I can plant my gladiola bulbs, it rains or snows again. It's not often I hope for no rain for a couple of months, but I am now.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I don't know if my office closed today, because the emergency line wasn't working (not very comforting). But I had no intention of struggling through this mess to slog into Manhattan. The last report I heard said that my area had 13.5 inches, and that was several hours ago, so we've probably gotten more since then. It has brightened up now, and is quite mild -- everything is already melting. I have my living room window open because it's so warm and stuffy in the apartment.

This is reminding me of my childhood -- we had storms like this in NYC all through the winter.
patful

Post by patful »

jdb1 wrote:I have my living room window open because it's so warm and stuffy in the apartment.
If I tried that, all the birds would come in.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The last of the ice has just about melted, today was almost springlike. It's 43 right now, and it's heavenly!!! I'm glad all my SSO buds are ok...but wait, where's Chris??? Hey Movieman1957, let us know how you are!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Oh, Nance, didn't you hear the sad news?!!
Baltimore was excavated yesterday to create a breakwater in order to spare Paducah, Kentucky.
So, so sad!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

HA.

I am here. I managed to escape everything. We got flurries and wind but nothing. We still have piles from three weeks ago but getting around is fine.

I think Baltimore finally returned the rented snow melter.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

klondike wrote:Oh, Nance, didn't you hear the sad news?!!
Baltimore was excavated yesterday to create a breakwater in order to spare Paducah, Kentucky.
So, so sad!

is that supposed to be funny? I don't get it
:?
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:
klondike wrote:Oh, Nance, didn't you hear the sad news?!!
So, so sad!

is that supposed to be funny? I don't get it
:?
Oh, gosh, Nancy, I'm sorry, I'm still wiping away my own tears of hilarity 'cause I am just so dang funny!
Chris, why don't you explain why smart, sassy, self-sufficient Baltimore is the comedy foil for all other American cities? I'd have to use charts & analogies.
(Believe me, it is less complicated than the rules for major league baseball.)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

That's ok, I'll pass...charts and graphs? Nahhhhh
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

We've been spared - We are finally seeing the ground and robins have been spotted which the newscasters announced are definitely NOT a sign of spring. So what are they a sign of? Aviary alzheimers? I am so glad we are clear (as I am still nervous and unsteady) but must still watch for slick spots. Any drip can form a DEADLY SHEET OF ICE! Am watching the reports of the east coast and thinking of you all. Take care and stay warm.
Birdy
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

We had 2 near-70 days and the ice is all melted - even on the lake.
Don't forget to spring forward!
patful

Post by patful »

I can't forget to spring forward. 33 clocks is a nightmare. Two weeks of temps above 60, I guess winter's over in Texas. Knock wood.