WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I see Wally more as a non-addictive-personality Oscar Levant; a sometimes gruff, sometimes charming, always winning, joli laid (French for attractive but not beautiful), polymath, who just has to stand there looking ironic, and he's funny.

Have you seen him in Vanya on 42nd Street? He was excellent in a heavily dramatic role; a lot better than most of the other dramatic actors in the cast with him.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Panic In The Streets" was on my list last night. Really fine work all around. I thought Paul Douglas was especially good.

The story involves man who sneaks into the country through New Orleans port (I didn't find it was N.O. until well into the movie.) The man has the plague and as soon as they figure it out the race is on to find all who came in contact with him. Good chase mixed with dilemma on how much, if anything to tell the public. Pretty exciting considering the plot.

Fine work from Richard Widmark, Zero Mostel, Jack Palance and a small part from Barabara Bel Geddes.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I too like Wallace Shawn, which is why I took a chance on "My Dinner With Andre." His voice work as Rex in the "Toy Story" movies is hillarious.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira:

I caught the Guardian today and have to say, I was entertained. It's not a grabber for rewatching a lot, but I would sit through it again if someone else want to see it. I hope Costner is ready to leave the loverboy stuff to the younger guys, unless he sticks with women his age like Sela Ward, because his days of getting the ingenue are over.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote: I hope Costner is ready to leave the loverboy stuff to the younger guys, unless he sticks with women his age like Sela Ward, because his days of getting the ingenue are over.

Anne
And Kev would be smart to take your advice, Anne, 'cause that Sela Ward is one ripe tomatah!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Careful Sarge:

Your ears are going to start steaming soon!! All those guys of his generation are in the same boat with him. Redford, Harrison Ford, Dustin Hoffman, Nicholson should have hung it up back around the time he made Terms of Endearment. Where do you fit in with that pack?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Mrs. Dewey and I went out to the local movieplex last night and we
saw the best movie of the year: JUNO. If you haven't already
done so, cut a trail to the nearest theater playing it and go, go, go!
[youtube][/youtube]
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday, I watched Frank Capra's "Broadway Bill" on DVD.

It is an often overlooked film. Not only did it come after "It Happened One Night," but in a lot of places you get the feeling that Capra is repeating things from "Night" and "lady for a Day" and "American Madness."

Yet, I found this a fascinating film. Here was a tough Capra protagonist who didn't hesitate to push himself forward. Myrna Loy was the heroine, and she had a great scene in which she urges her sister to make up with her husband because she (Loy) will go after the husband if the sister doesn't. Of course, this last part was unspoken, but it was clearly conveyed, and I thought this was one of the most subtle scene I had ever seen in a Capra film.

And then there is the action of the film. There is a scene in which a rumor sweeps a racetrack, another when a rumor sweeps the nation, and then the final horserace itself. These aren't conventional "action" sequences as we use the term today, but they are tremendously exciting.

Somewhere, people got the idea that Capra only made "It Happened One Night," "Deeds/Smith/Doe" and "It's a Wonderful Life." He did some very good work outside that box, and "Broadway Bill" is well worth a look.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Hubby and I went to see The Spiderwick Chronicles this afternoon. What a wonderful film! Beautifully made, fun for the kids AND the adults in the audience, and another touching performance by Freddie Highmore. This kid is a real talent.

A little scary for the little ones, though. There were some 4 and 5 year olds in the audience that got antsy. Great for school age kids.

Sandy K
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Mr Cutter and I were able to see "Charlie Wilson's War" (love that Phillip Seymour Hoffman walked away with the movie) and "There Will Be Blood" last night. Look for Daniel Day Lewis to take Best Actor. Incredible performance though I found the movie uneven. I wish Larry was still here as the film is based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil!" which was based on Edward Doheny's pursuit of oil.

Next Saturday, "Michael Clayton".
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Lzcutter wrote:Mr Cutter and I were able to see "Charlie Wilson's War" (love that Phillip Seymour Hoffman walked away with the movie) and "There Will Be Blood" last night. Look for Daniel Day Lewis to take Best Actor. Incredible performance though I found the movie uneven. I wish Larry was still here as the film is based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil!" which was based on Edward Doheny's pursuit of oil.

Next Saturday, "Michael Clayton".
Is Mr. Cutter an Academy member? Are you? I was just curious if you're seeing these in the theatre, or on those DVDs with the annoying leader passing across the bottom.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moraldo,

Sadly, neither of us are Academy members. However, as you probably recall, Mr Cutter does work for a studio that we drove by on your tour of Hollywood last year before lunching at the Apple Pan. (hint, hint)

They are showing Oscar nominated films this month at their theater on the lot. I was out of town for "No Country" but we will likely see that at the Arclight though not in time for the Oscars sadly.

So, thanks to the studio, we do get to see them on the big screen for which I am very grateful.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Lzcutter wrote:Sadly, neither of us are Academy members. However, as you probably recall, Mr Cutter does work for a studio that we drove by on your tour of Hollywood last year before lunching at the Apple Pan. (hint, hint)

They are showing Oscar nominated films this month at their theater on the lot. I was out of town for "No Country" but we will likely see that at the Arclight though not in time for the Oscars sadly.
I rememeber so well! That's what led to my wonderment. If you ever need an entourage...
feaito

Post by feaito »

I haven't seen much lately, because most of my time has been devoted to my "relocation" in our new apartment. I moved on Saturday 9th, and have been doing all kinds of chores in relation to it, since well before that date and I think until next month at least! :?

I had been living in my previous apartment for 12 years and it has been and exhausting process, ever since we decided with my wife, to buy an Apt. (back in October 2007).

The amount of stuff I've accumulated throughout the years is unbelievable, there were boxes & boxes & boxes of CDs, books, magazines, DVDs, VHS and notes, notes, copybooks, etc. Since my interests also cover genealogy, history, among many others, I don't know when I'll have all organized :shock: . And the change of address in all the Department stores, banks, insurance company, etc. Not to speak about new lamps, new curtains, hanging pictures, cable company, etc.

What's good is that in our new apartment we have a small room for the use of the community of the building, with a projector, a screen, DVD player and a receiver; so on Saturday 16th I was able to watch "Heller in Pink Tights" (1960) on a pretty big screen , almost like a private cinema (I'm looking forward to more Private Screenings! :wink: ). I watched it with my father-in-law who came to visit us and we had a field day! It's a very entertaining film with sultry Sophia Loren at her sexiest and Anthony Quinn in the (quite passive) role -very different from what I'm used to expect of him- of a stage entrepreneur-on-the-road. Eileen Heckart, Margaret O'Brien and Edmund Lowe are quite hilarious as other members of the troupe. Steve Forrest plays a gunfighter and has some sexy chemistry with Loren. Ramon Novarro plays a villain. A very interesting film indeed, directed by George Cukor.

Yesterday I arranged another "private screening", with my brother & sister-in-law, my father-in-law, my wife and my two teenage nephews.... so I had to choose something appropriate to please everyone.... I "screened" "The Last Mimzy" an enjoyable contemporary fantasy film. We had a great time.

I still have to finish watching "Beggars of Life" (1928) which I began to see the week previous to the move (on my personal DVD).
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Hi Fernando! Nice to see you back! :) I saw Heller in Pink Tights many years ago. I remember it as a pretty unusual western. I should certainly revisit it being a huge fan of George Cukor. 8)