WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Feaito:

Not to change the subject, but OMG what a job to pack up after living in one place for 12 years. I wouldn't wish that on an enemy! It's hard to believe the stuff you accomulate. I've only been in this apartment for 4 years, but I already dread the thought of packing it up.

Good to have you back though!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ann Harding wrote:Hi Fernando! Nice to see you back! :) I saw Heller in Pink Tights many years ago. I remember it as a pretty unusual western. I should certainly revisit it being a huge fan of George Cukor. 8)
Thanks Christine. "Heller.." is certainly a special film. I liked a lot the way in which the director skillfully depicted and handled Loren's strong physical-animal attraction towards Steve Forrest's rather amoral character and the relationship that developed with him, based only upon sexual desire, in contrast with the deep love, affection, sensitivity and care that predominates in her relationship with Tony Quinn's character. It rang absolutelly true. After all we human beings are full of contradictions.
feaito

Post by feaito »

mrsl wrote:Hi Feaito:

Not to change the subject, but OMG what a job to pack up after living in one place for 12 years. I wouldn't wish that on an enemy! It's hard to believe the stuff you accomulate. I've only been in this apartment for 4 years, but I already dread the thought of packing it up.

Anne
Anne, I took the whole week between Feb. 4 and 9 off work and I can tell you that I can't recall having more exhausting physical work in 15 years of marriage than the one I had in that particular week. I carried piles and piles of boxes to our new Apartment, which I packed everyday and I was full of bruises all over my body after it all finished. I lose weight and gained muscles :wink:
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:Hi Feaito:

Anne
Trust me, folks, there's a worse fate!
No intention of slighting 'Nando's herculean feat of relocation (I've done moves of that speed & effort, and he's right: afterwards, you feel like you've been dragged through about 5 dozen keyholes by a berserk Clydesdale), but I'd still choose that situation, with that timeframe, than the reality of moving your entire growing family 13 times in 20 years (changing coasts twice).
Many important things (like furniture & optimism) tend to drop away from you, and only return to your life very slowly, if at all; had I the pipe-dream power to go back & change a short list of things about my life, that recurring social nightmare would be either #2 or #3.
But ya can never step in the same river twice, now, can ya? :wink:
Fernando, allow me to second that greeting: Welcome back!
feaito

Post by feaito »

klondike wrote: than the reality of moving your entire growing family 13 times in 20 years (changing coasts twice).
:shock: :shock: :shock: 13 times!!!! That's too much!!

One of the two or three reasons I did not want to pursue a Diplomatic career, like I intended to in my teenage years, was due to the constant transatlantic moves from country to country.

I wish I'd stay in my current apartment 'til I die! :wink:

BTW, thanks for the welcome Klondike!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I too don't envy your Fernando. I know there will come a day when we have to pack our belongings and move, the joys of having to find room for children and all their belongings. I don't even want to think about it. I find packing for a two week holiday stressful enough. :D

Today I watched La Kermesse Heroique by director Jacques Feyder. I've only been fimiliar with his silent films. Starring his wife Francoise Rosay it is a delightful farce set in 16th century Flanders. I was really taken with the story. Holland is under Spanish rule and the townsfolk get notification that the Spanish overlords are to stay in the village overnight. The men get frightened and worried that they will rape and pillage. They concoct a plan and pretend that the moyor has died and the town has no ruler. When the mayors wife gets wind of this she takes matters into her own hands and whilst the men are in mourning and standing on ceremony they welcome the Spaniards and enjoy their company.

The film is full of humourous moments but my favorite has to be when one of the women is crying and she is asked why. She says she has been told that the Spanish men where here to rape and pillage and she's waited all day and they haven't done anything of the sort.

I enjoyed this film as much as any of Feyder's silents.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm still overworked Alison....besides, I've had a lot of work in my company (I've been replacing my bosses for 3 weeks... :shock: ).

"La Kermesse Heroique" sounds amazing!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

La Kermesse héroïque created a furore in the Flemish part of Belgium when the film came out. One mustn't forget that during the XVIth century, Flanders suffered greatly under Spanish rule: pillage, murder, torture, rape.... The film here is a comedy. But the Flemish were quite outraged by the depiction of the Flemish being friendly with their occupants.... This film cinematography is greatly inspired by the great Flemish painters particularly Vermeer. 8)

Françoise Rosay is a fabulous actress. Her husband offered her some great parts in all his talkies. She is a lion tamer in les gens du Voyage, runs a small boarding house in Pension Mimosa, and a seedy hotel in the masterpiece Le Grand Jeu. I'll write a small bio of her later under the 'People' thread. She had a very colorful life and wrote a brilliant book of memoirs. :)
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

We watched 'First a Girl'. c. 1935 Jessie Matthews. No where near her best but still, Matthews.
It was the 'Victor / Victoria' story with music. Matthews didn't look any more like a man than Mae West would've.
Film did have some good songs by Sigler, Goodman and Hoffman: 'Ev'ry things in rhythm', 'I can do ev'rything' It's written all over your face' and 'Say the word and it's yours'
Matthews always worth seeing. .... mel
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, the Oscar hubbub is over for another year. I don't even watch any more - just tune in once in a while during the broadcast. I had to look at the news this morning to see who had won. Since I don't go to current film showings much any more, it means very little to me. However, I do agree with Anne, who commented on another thread about how nice the women looked. I thought the dresses were lovely, and I was especially pleased to see the younger women dressing like movie stars for a change, instead of like rejects from a goth-style music video.

But, anyhow . . . I saw a very nice movie yesterday on IFC that I'd like to call to your attention. It's called Stolen Summer. I've read that this movie was one of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's "Project Greenlight" entries, and apparently it was the subject of one of the "Project Greenlight" series on HBO. I hadn't seen that, but I did enjoy this movie very much.

The title makes one think it might be a teenage romance story, but it's nothing of the sort. It's a genre piece about an 8-year-old Irish-American boy in Chicago, who decides the way to get to heaven is to convert someone to Catholicism. He has been told by the nuns at his school that he will probably not get into heaven, and that Jewish people can't get into heaven at all. So, he concludes that his way into heaven is to teach a Jewish person about Jesus, and that way they will both get in. The story unfolds without any cloying. It's very sweet, but not "cute."

Aidan Quinn and Bonnie Hunt are the boy, Pete's, parents. The story centers really, on Pete and his father, and on Pete's relationship with the local rabbi, whom Pete enlists in his summer "quest" to convert a Jew. The movie could be subtitled "It's tough to be a good parent, but it can be done." Quinn is very good as the gruff fireman with eight kids who is just trying to do right by them. Hunt is his super-efficient wife, who never loses her sense of humor.

I was also very taken with Kevin Pollack as Rabbi Jacobson. This is an actor I generally find rather hard to bear, especially since he usually plays obnoxious characters -- theatrical agents, high-pressure lawyers, overbearing political advisors. However, here he plays a very patient, low-key and supportive character; a conscientious rabbi and the father of a little boy dying of lukemia. Pete decides that the rabbi's son would be the ideal candidate to be converted so he can go to heaven, and he befriends the boy and gives him a goal to work for over the summer (a made-up "decathalon"). The rabbi encourages the friendship. He is very impressed with Pete who, at just 8 years old, already seems to have mastered Jesuitical logic.

The real star of the show is the amazing little boy who plays Pete O'Malley. His name is Adiel Stein, and in real life he is the son of a rabbi. He was perfectly convincing as an O'Malley, and he was entirely believable as a real little boy. This kid is a real talent, and he makes this movie more than just an indie curiosity.

One highlight of the movie is the flirtatious banter between the O'Malley parents. Small wonder they already have eight kids. I liked especially one scene in their laundry room, where Dad eyes Mom with great appreciation and asks "You wanna fool around?" She regards him for a second, and in perfect deadpan asks "With you?"

An excellent family movie, with something both kids and parents can appreciate.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday on the evening I had a small time off from my "apartment duties" and I went to the Pétit Cinema of my building, since I wanted to pretend I was attending the UCLA Paramount Pre-Code Festival :lol: ....., so I "screened" "Love Me Tonight" (1932).

What a joy to watch one fo my top five films on a big screen....and although it wasn't celluloid, but only a DVD projected on a screen...it felt like a premiere for me. I was totally delighted and I'm looking forward to more experiences of the sort!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a good apartment you've chosen Feaito :)
movieman

Post by movieman »

I watched "McLintock!" over two nights.
I wanted to see it because of the beautiful Stefanie Powers (in that regard I was not disappointed).
Otherwise I found the film foolish. Not much fun. It tried to be funny but didn't succeed. I didn't like Maureen O'Hara's character, I guess I weren't supposed to. I was delighted when Wayne finally gave her what she deserved (you know what scene I'm referring to).

The film was static (the camera most often was set up in one place, and when it moved it went up / down or panned sideways. None of it was slickly done.)

Wayne failed to impress me in this one too.

But Ms. Powers, aaahhh!! :wink:

Even B
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I just watched the movie "Smoke," from 1994, directed by Wayne Wang.

It was a good movie, with well-developed characters. It reminded me of John Sayles, but without the political attitude.

However, one thing amazed me. All the publicity about the movie made me think it was about Harvey Keitel and his relationship with his ex-wife (Stockard Channing) and daughter (Ashley Judd). Then when I watched the movie, I realized that it was really about William Hurt, who is a writer who comes out of the shell he has been in since his wife died years earlier.

It was almost as if the makers of the film did a bait-and-switch or they decided to punish Hurt or thought he would be box office poison so they tried to hide the fact that he was in the film. Very odd.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Gun Crazy - 1949.

Terrific noir with an unfortunate title. Bonnie and Clyde type pair on the run from life of crime. Jon Dall and Peggy Cummins are married couple who can't seem to make life work honestly. Both have "issues" and it creates conflict. Sexually charged and intense realtionship adds to regular crime spree story.

Peggy Cummins can flat out run. She is also not afraid to get dirty, literally. Lots of driving from back seat mounted camera adds to the real look of it. It has a "B" film look to it but is very well done.

Check it out.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."