The Christmas Album

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: Then there is the unfortunate fact that, as child, I heard my mother mention while watching a Durbin movie that Durbin had a stiff elbow (the left, I think), which didn't unbend. I could never take my eyes off that arm after that.
Did she lisp, too? :roll:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Nah. But lisping soubrettes don't bother me much.

And by the way, Mae Questal also had a stiff elbow, but I can't think of anything negative to say about Questal. I wouldn't like Durbin on the screen even if she were an Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics. Just a question of chemistry, not anatomy.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Actually, Deanna Durbin reportedly has or once had a semi-paralyzed left hand, though I've never noticed that it affected her on screen. And she appeared to be without a lisp. No hump on her back either or maybe she could have done a musical remake of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Tastes differ for each of us regarding performers, but I think I'll continue to like both Roy & Dale as well as Durbin. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, I knew we were in for a treat when you began this thread and indeed you went above and beyond my expectations.
Those images are fabulous, all of which I have never seen before (and believe me I've scouted enough images to choke a horse).
And those essays are the frosting on the cake filled with many tidbits of interest.
The thread is a holiday delight which I'm gonna hate to see end.
Good stuff!
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

The Christmas Album: Dorothy

Post by moira finnie »

Day Twenty of our Holiday ramble brings us to a meeting between Popeye the Sailor Man and Dorothy Lamour, just before a holiday parade was to commence outside Paramount Studios gates. Presumably, as the small fry enjoyed seeing those distorted forearms that one could develop from the ingestion of too much spinach, the adult males in the crowd could enjoy an eyeful of Miss Lamour wearing what appears to be some carefully arranged napkins. This face in the crowd found Dorothy a lovely sight and enjoyed the sound of her warmly honeyed voice in those Hope and Crosby "Road to..." movies between 1940 and 1952--even if she did play the straight woman to the pair.

Particular favorites from that series might be Road to Morocco (1942), since it was one of the threesome's funniest, and Road to Utopia (1946) since Dorothy never looked more fetching than she did in the Gibson Girl era clothes in that Gold Rush tale.

The Louisiana-born girl, a former Miss New Orleans 1931, came to prominence on the radio as a singer on a radio program with the memorable name of "The Yeast Foamers", presumably because it was sponsored by Fleischmann's Yeast. Lamour, who married the band leader on that show, Herbie Kay, heard the siren song of a New York cabaret career, appearing there with Rudy Vallee and eventually making a splash at El Morocco, where Louis B. Mayer's eagle eye fell upon her, and arranged a screen test, which eventually landed her at Paramount in 1935. Darkly exotic among the many bland blonde women who populate Hollywood in every decade, Dorothy or Dottie, as she insisted others call her, broke through in a movie called The Jungle Princess (1936) in which she played "Ulah", a distaff Tarzan who filled out a sarong nicely while Ray Milland and Ray Mala stood around in proper awe. This set Lamour on the path to more Gauguin-like fantasies in film, culminating in John Ford's The Hurricane (1937), a film that centers on the disastrous event of the title, but features a few truly ravishing shots of a natural looking beauty with little apparent artifice whenever Ford pauses to tenderly focus on her face.

This viewer is also partial to her appearances as a Latina temptress distracting Fred MacMurray from Carole Lombard in Swing High, Swing Low and in The Last Train from Madrid (1937) with Lew Ayres. Other, non-South Seas excursions that are remembered fondly were Spawn of the North (1938), with Dottie catching the eye of Alaskan fishermen Henry Fonda and George Raft and Chad Hanna (1940) with Lamour as Fonda's vixenish Lilith in a circus story set in the "wilds" of upstate New York in the 19th century. A film that is probably my true Lamour favorite and a recent re-discovery for me was Johnny Apollo (1940). In this movie Lamour's character, "Lucky Dubarry", falls hard for Tyrone Power, despite her entanglement with Lloyd Nolan. If you watch this one on the recently released dvd, look for one of the best, and quietest scenes in this enjoyable movie as Ty and Dorothy watch a bird while sitting on some steps. It doesn't sound like much on paper, but the pair of them, (under Henry Hathaway's careful direction), made that a memorable human moment in what is a rattling good gangster picture.

Another Lamour vehicle that deserves to be remembered is the obscure Wild Harvest (1947). The movie, centering on itinerant combine crews who move with the harvest featured three very likable actors toiling away: Alan Ladd, Lloyd Nolan and Robert Preston, along with Dorothy. For those of us who grew up in farm country, the life depicted quite vividly in this engaging film evokes many memories. Btw, according to Ms. Lamour's autobiography, My Side of the Road (1980), Dorothy showed exceptionally good taste in men when she and Preston fell deeply in love off screen. Alas, he was already married as was Dottie, so they simply said goodbye. Another factoid that will probably never be confirmed about Ms. Lamour's private life is that she and J. Edgar Hoover may have been an item at one time. Yes, you read that correctly. Dottie says that they were "friends" in her autobiography. (For the record, after her early marriage to the bandleader Herbie Kay, Dottie was married to one William Ross Howard III from '43 until his death in '78.)

Two more things that few of us know about Lamour is that she sold $300 million worth of war bonds during WWII, crisscrossing the U.S. tirelessly to support that cause. During her travels, none other than the shy author, E.B. White, the New Yorker's finest prose stylist and the creator of Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web, harbored a mad, passionate crush on the lady for fifty odd years! They met once, when she passed through Maine during a bond rally, a moment that White cherished, as did all those who enjoyed her company on film.

One Lamour film which apparently lies mouldering away in a vault is A Medal For Benny (1946) starring Dorothy, J. Carrol Naish (who was nominated for an Oscar for his role) and Arturo de Cordova. A John Steinbeck inspired story about the father of a Congressional Medal of Honor winner who was also a California "paisan", it may have aged, but modern audiences may never know until--as in the case of many of Paramount films--it is issued on home video.

While her star power has faded considerably since her death, Dorothy Lamour appears to have been one of the nicest and least pretentious of stars. Asked once if she had training as a singer and actress, she laughed, and replied,"No, can't you tell?" If anyone listens to Lamour's this lush recording of "You'll Never Know," that question will be a moot one.

No word, even a mumbled one, seems to have been recorded of Popeye's comments on the occasion commemorated in the above photo, though he does seem to be wondering where to look. ;-)
Above: Christmas, 1944 and team player Dorothy Lamour (4th from left) joins Virginia O'Brien, Frances Langford, Judy Garland, Ginny Sims and Dinah Shore to record a song for the troops overseas.
Last edited by moira finnie on December 20th, 2008, 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ahhh, Moira, each & every addition to this 'album' brightens my particular day.
They are truly Xmas gifts I'm choosing to give myself.
Thank you so much for "having us over"!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Mongo & Klondike,
This thread is helping me to enjoy the holidays more than I expected. Since it's probably as close to a "group caroling" as we can get and it is fun to see some of the touching and ludicrous images of Xmas past, Hollywood-style, I'm really tickled if it gives anyone a little of the fun that it has been for me. Some days, after looking at the headlines, I think the world is in sore need of more such foolish fun.
Thanks--moira

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

On the twenty-first day of our Holiday tour, we fly past Zero Mostel, a slightly off-kilter angelic talent, whose exceptional presence may have been too large for movies. Zero's seraphim, swathed in what looks like my grandmother's drapes, circa 1965, seems to be readying himself to help us celebrate all festivals of light at this darkest time of year, whether Christmas or, as is occurring at sundown this evening, the first night of Chanukah.

Brooklyn-born Samuel Joel Mostel was the son of a skilled vintner of sacred wines who struggled to make a living. Despite their economic straits, as a boy, Zero's mother dressed him in velvet suits and, taking advantage of New York City's artistic wealth, sent the artistically adept lad to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to copy the masters. Perhaps in self-defense, Mostel also developed a keen sense of the absurd laced with his occasionally ribald sense of humor as he grew up. One of his antics including enthralling amused gallery patrons by copying paintings upside down. Studying art at CCNY during the Depression, he eventually graduated and worked for a pittance from the Public Works of Art Project. Zero gave many art lectures for the PWAP, lacing his lectures with funny asides that made him extremely popular and encouraged his extroverted side.

However, it wasn't until 1941, when at age 27, Zero or Zee to his friends) found a way to utilize his rapid paced multi-lingual skills into routines that slayed cosmopolitan audiences at Cafe Society, a downtown supper club. Radio and Broadway followed, along with a serious attempt to play in The Beggar's Opera, as did, inevitably, attempts to make it in the movies, with DuBarry Was a Lady (1944), as a hokey seer, and later, as a cowed minion of Jack Palance's Mr. Big in Elia Kazan's Panic in the Streets (1950). The actor, who had worked with Kazan on stage, reportedly thought that the director's repeated demands for takes involving running was a bit unnecessary. Since the film did not lead to any offers of employment, it might have seemed fairly futile to Zero, had he not had a wife and two children to support by this time. He tried again repeatedly in two of Humphrey Bogart's outings, The Enforcer (1951) in which Zero played a flaky hit man, Big Babe Lazick, and in a warmed over serving of the Casablanca pie called Sirocco (1951), playing a duplicitous informer (is there any other kind?). I do like Mostel's turn as the understandably aggravated literary agent for that know-it-all Mr. Belvedere (Clifton Webb) in one of the more amusing entries in that series, Mr. Belvedere Rings the Bell (1951) and his milquetoast suitor in blessed Thelma Ritter's The Model and the Marriage Broker (1951).

Thanks to the unwelcome intervention of HUAC, who seemed to think that Zero's attendance at left wing meetings two decades before might constitute a threat to national security, Mostel's career on film took a long hiatus. It probably didn't help that, when asked during his reluctant appearance before them, where he worked in Hollywood, the actor quipped "18th Century Fox". Nor, one might surmise, would his creation of a pompous character for his nightclub act, "Senator Polltax T. Pellagra", have endeared Zero Mostel to the politicians.

Despite these setbacks, Mostel's best work, often transferred from the stage, beginning with a phenomenal appearance as Estragon in Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot (1961) that was broadcast several times in the '60s, and his triumphal and hilarious appearance as the slave/conman "Pseudolus" in A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum (1966) are treasured by those who've seen them. While many more people have seen The Producers (1968) that shapeless fitfully mirthful movie, while brilliant, contains some sparkling Zero moments, (such as his fervid courtship of Estelle Winwood), but even with affection for him intact, this viewer finds that abrasive movie trying at best. Better work came in some equally uneven films, including a brilliant turn as Potemkin in the forgotten movie, Great Catherine (1968) which starred Jeanne Moreau and Peter O'Toole. Another odd shaped gem from this period is the lively The Great Bank Robbery (1969), which I thought was similar to a Tex Avery cartoon come to life. Bernard Malamud's The Angel Levine (1970) was both beautifully acted and deeply flawed by the pacing and changes in tone of the film. Fortunately, Mostel's performance in Ionsesco's Rhinoceros (1974) still lingers in memory as his finest (and most controlled) performance. Still, after musing on Zero Mostel's memorable contributions to filmdom, I do wish that his ultimate role, Tevye in Sholom Alecheim's Fiddler on the Roof--so cherished by those of us who grew up listening to his magnificently nuanced performance on the lp of the musical--might have been captured on film. It seems to be one of those perennial "what ifs" of cinema history.

"Larger than life" is an overused phrase, but, when applied to the rotund, disheveled cherub whose unruly talents enriched the scene whenever they appeared on stage or screen, the empty phrase has meaning once again. At the beginning of his performing career, a press agent gave Mostel the cognomen 'Zero', referring to him as a "man who made something out of nothing." Laughter is never "nothing". Thank you, Zero and Happy Chanukah to all.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

The Christmas Album: Jane

Post by moira finnie »

The Twenty-Second Day of our Holiday rounds finds us dropping by a proud Jane Wyman's house. Ms. Wyman, resplendent in festive red, seems determined to show the world in the early 1950s that, despite her many years as a working stiff on the Warner's lot, playing dumb blondes, chorines and gold-digging ornaments on the arm of actors like Jack Carson or Dennis Morgan (or was it the other way around?) , she still had unplumbed depths of glam as well as surprising sensitivity.

A radio singer and chorus girl born to a struggling actress in Missouri, her lasting acting reputation may have been built on her eloquent if silent performance in Johnny Belinda, as well as her fine supporting work in The Lost Weekend (1945) as Ray Milland's girlfriend and her quietly detailed work as the backwoods mother in The Yearling (1946), but the fact that at the same time she was making The Yearling, she played a brashly amusing babe from burlesque who befriended Cary Grant's Cole Porter in Night and Day (1946) may have been one of her more challenging feats. Equally adept at comedy and drama, Wyman, who was wed to future prexy Ronald Reagan for some years, found herself at the top of the Hollywood heap just as they divorced, following, it is said, Reagan's deepening commitment to politics, the loss of a longed for baby. The couple, who were the parents of Maureen and Michael Reagan, found a way to have a public life without speaking ill of one another in public, saying only after his death that her ex-husband was "a great, kind and gentle man."

However, after five marriages, including two to Fred Karger in two decades), Jane, who became a Catholic convert, concluded that "I guess I just don't have a talent for it, some women just aren't the marrying kind - or anyway, not the permanent marrying kind, and I'm one of them."

Though she was in her mid-30s by the time that stardom came to her, this viewer thought Jane Wyman's ethereal presence in the role of the girl who owns The Glass Menagerie (1950) was unexpectedly touching, and her down to earth working girl in the unpretentious A Kiss in the Dark (1949) opposite David Niven was a surprise charmer. Some favorite film appearances in the fifties were directed by Douglas Sirk, who gave Wyman juicy roles in Magnificent Obsession (1954) and All That Heaven Allows (1955) with Rock Hudson. Many would like to see Jane's Oscar nominated role in The Blue Veil (1951), (though that film appears to be lost in litigation), since that is often said to have been her favorite role. Two other forgotten '50s roles that fit her like a glove were in So Big (1953) and Miracle in the Rain (1955) , which have their devotees, as does the fashionista fave, Lucy Gallant (1955), which offered Wyman a chance to wear some elegant duds and to pitch woo with Charlton Heston. A particularly enjoyable Wyman romp, directed by Frank Capra (with a minimum of Capra-corn), was the comedy, Here Comes the Groom (1951) in which a frisky Jane sang “In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening” with Bing Crosby.

After a long career, Jane shifted to television in her last years, notably in the amusing wine country soap opera, Falcon Crest, and a few choice made-for-tv movie roles, which included a beautiful performance in The Incredible Journey of Doctor Meg Laurel (1979) as an elderly mountain woman with a healing touch, a role that she chose carefully and played with great attention to detail. While still offered many parts as she aged, her standards for material remained fairly high. As Wyman explained it, “Nonexposure is better than appearing in the wrong thing.”
Above: A more relaxed looking Ms. Wyman before hitting it big.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira:

If I had never seen Jane in anything but The Incredible Journey of Meg Laurel, I would be a fan. Seeing her in Johnny Belinda is an experience. Liking her and Rock Hudson, I could never understand why I disliked All that Heaven Allows and Magnificent Obsession. It wasn't until I tuned in to see Magnificent Obsession a month ago on one of my movie channels and realized it was a Douglas Sirk movie, that I understood why they were both so sappy and foolish. He turned a couple of fine novels into soap opera movies and ruined the memory of the books.

The only thing I ever had against Jane was her hair dresser, I would have loved to get after him/her with a pair of scissors and do likewise to him what he did to Jane. She always looked like she was wearing earmuffs.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Anne,
I just caught the "Meg Laurel" movie within the last year and was wonderfully impressed with Wyman's flinty performance too. I agree about the hairdo, btw. I sometimes think that leading actresses, (i.e. Claudette Colbert, Wyman, et al), hit upon some 'do that is in fashion or suitable for one role and then, perhaps in part to avoid fussing with it, to maintain an identifiable look throughout their career, or perhaps to give their poor hair a rest after decades of harsh treatment being dyed and styled to a fare thee well at the studio, hung onto that style come hell or high water.

My eldest sister's mother-in-law had the exact same 'do as Jane and always made me think of her whenever I'd see her. She was a lovely woman, but had hair like a brillo pad.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Speaking physiologically, I feel you're both being far too kind!
My problem with Jane Wyman isn't her hair, it's south of there:

Her Face !

{Ohh, the humanity!!}

I could never understand how this woman even got into motion pictures with a face that would have taxed the aesthetics of RADIO!
She always looked to me like somebody slid an ice cube down her undies and then immediately slammed her flat-acrost the face with a 1x8 plank (y'know, kinda like what Bugs Bunny did to that napping lion's derrierre at the zoo?); talk about the dog who chased parked cars! My personal theory about her wooing of Ronny Reagan (not that he was ever the sharpest tool in the shed), is that she drugged him into matrimony, and that the seeds of his future memory loss started germinating the morning after as a form of mental self-defense . . which is a shame, considering that his eventual escape dropped him into the arms of Nancy Davis, another 'real looker'!
I suppose I should be kinder towards Ms. JW, especially as she starred in my Mom's all-time favorite movie: Johnny Belinda . . but then, she did fess up to me just before she died in '78, that the big reason she so loved that flick was because she a "mad crush" on Lew Ayres . . but not to tattle on her to Dad!
After 45 years of marriage & devotion, I think he could have easily dealt with that little newsflash . . but I kept my promise anyway.
But jeez, Ma . . Lew Ayres?!
Well, I guess there truly is NO accounting for taste!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Well, I guess there truly is NO accounting for taste!
Well, yeah, Klonnie.....we all love you.........go figure..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wow, Klonnie! :shock:

Lots of people like Lew Ayres, Klon. Even me.

As a matter of fact, if the movie is being broadcast, I will probably watch Johnny Belinda to see him and Charles Bickford as well as the beautifully made movie. Because of his principled stand as a conscientious objector in WWII with a lot to lose, Ayres seems to have been an admirable person. He served as a medic in the Pacific after winning a case against the Army that established the right of the conscripted to be pacifists on principle, without necessarily being affiliated with an organized religion. His belief was formed in part by his experiences after making All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). Oh, yeah. He was cute too. Your Mom had good taste.

I thought that Jane Wyman did her best to develop her acting skills, against terrific odds. I'm not crazy about many of her '50s movies, but do think that they reflected often difficult to express yearnings of women and some of what was happening beneath the surface of society, as in All That Heaven Allows. I think that people in audiences may have rooted for her because she was a hardworking actress and looked like someone they knew, not like someone unreal on a movie screen. There were always plenty of beauties in Hollywood, but too few plain Janes.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

See, Klonny - you shouldn't get so annoyed with me because I sometimes focus negatively on some particular star's physical features. There are some who, although touted as hot stuff, just make you want to run from the room screaming. I won't feel guilty about not liking some actor's features or manner of speaking. That's what he/she is presenting to us for approval, and sometimes I simply don't approve.

And -- I fully agree with you about Wyman. With those big apple-cheeks and too-small nose, she looks like one of the Campbell's Soup Kids, but a nasty one. Not a star whose work I'd deliberately seek out. Feh. I like Nancy better. (But maybe I'm influenced by the fact that Nancy is Ron the Younger's mother.)