Forrest Tucker--Anton Schugg
Matthew Boulton--Inspector Stevens
Kurt Katch--Gustav Soessel
Morton Lowry--Kurt Weil
Stanley Logan--Sir Stafford Hart
Lesley Denison--Harvey Leeds
Billy Bevan--George Barrow

Taglines:
The Lone Wolf turns spy to make Nazis turn pale....and cops turn green with envy!

The Lone Wolf is back again!

Plot: When the film opens it appears as if the Lone Wolf has returned to his old habits as a burglar. We see him breaking into Sir Stafford Hart's (Logan) mansion and stealing some documents. The documents are plans for a Beam Detector which is crucial to England's defense from the nightly German bombing runs (during WWII). After the Lone Wolf's escape his meets up with his gentleman's gentleman Jameson (Blore).
Jameson, "Did you get what you went after, sir?"
Lone Wolf (patting his breast pocket), "Right here. Snug and secure!"
Jameson (in his unique nasal tones), "It's been a horrible ordeal waiting for you here, sir. Place is bristling with uniforms and I'm positively bathed in perspiration, if you'll pardon my vulgarities!?"
Lone Wolf, "You have both my pardon and my sympathies, Jameson!"
Jameson, "I wish I had your iron nerve, sir. My parents let me down badly, I'm afraid."

The air raid sirens blare and everyone heads to the nearest air raid shelter. The Lone Wolf is never one to waste an opportunity, so he chats up the hostess at the air raid shelter as she is serving tea. While seeming very distracted she accidentally dumps a cup of the hot liquid on him.
Hostess Pamela Hart (Brooke), "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to! I wasn't looking!"
Lone Wolf, "I'll forgive you, if you'll tell me what's worrying you. The way you keep looking at that entrance one would suppose that you expected to see Hitler hopping through it at any moment!"
Pamela is really worried about her missing fiancé, Harvey Leeds (Denison). Unbeknownst to her, he is being held captive by a Nazi spy ring.

Instead of Hitler we see Inspectors Stephens (Boulton) and Crane (Hall). Stephens is the Scotland Yard detective assigned to investigate the theft of the plans and Crane is the American Inspector who just happens to be visiting England at the precise moment to get involved with his old friend, the Lone Wolf. As soon as the Inspectors spot the Lone Wolf they assume him to be guilty. He cleverly ditches the plans at the bottom of a stack of sandwiches before the inspectors come over to apprehend him. They take him in for questioning while Jameson is left behind to retrieve the plans.

Jameson (to the hostess), "Oh, miss, I want a sandwich, please."
She tries to hand him the one on top.
Jameson, "No..no..no, thank you. I'm going to have this one on bottom. (As he slips the plans into his jacket) Yes, it's a pip of mine, I've always been in favor of the underdog!" (How droll)

The Lone Wolf manages to escape detention, but as more facts come out he is a hunted man. The entire force of England is looking for him as they assume him to be a spy working for the Nazis. This is exactly what he wants them to think.

The Lone Wolf makes a call to Inspector Crane, fishing for a little information, but only gets lectured.
Crane, "Well, you've bitten off more than you can chew this time, haven't you!? You're the British Government's public enemy number one! You show your face anywhere in London and your goose is cooked! Every cop in London is on your tail, Lanyard! You're not dealing in jewels this time, but human lives...including your own!"

The Lone Wolf is attempting to connect with a Nazis spy ring which is pilfering valuable information out of London and sending it back to Germany. The spy ring is run by the ruthless Gustav Soessel (Katch). The Lone Wolf hopes to trap these rats using the Beam Detector plans as bait, only he foolishly hasn't bothered to inform the authorities of his intentions. I guess that's why they call him the Lone Wolf.

We learn that the Lone Wolf was secretly commissioned by Sir Stafford Hart's government agency to steal the plans and expose the spy ring. The spy ring has been forwarding information that has helped the Luftwaffe target strategic London locations during their nightly air raids. Can one man stop this deadly spy machine? Well, he is the Lone Wolf.

Forrest Tucker has a small role as an ambulance driver who is working with the spies. Matthew Boulton as Inspector Stephens is a distraction every time he appears on screen, he has eye-brows the size of hamsters. Eric Blore as the droll Jameson is simply the best detective sidekick around, many are just comic relief and distractions, Blore is a huge addition, and livens up the sometimes comatose Warren. He's hilarious with his bone-dry humor and running commentary.

The background of the nightly bombings with the threat of devastation from above combined with the general Nazis threat give this entry a depth and seriousness not normally associated with the genre. The use of stock footage of real bombings just adds to the feeling that this time it's no joke. People are really dying out there.

8* (out of 10) This is the best in the series that I have seen so far. The chemistry between Warren and Blore is wonderful and more than makes up for any logically challenged areas of the script. Warren plays the Lone Wolf as a man of strict convictions and the authorities constantly strive to add a lengthy conviction to his record.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 20th, 2008, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Ace Drummond Review #287

Post by cinemalover »

It's time to once again visit our flying friend, Ace Drummond....

Date watched: 10/22/2007
Title: Ace Drummond 12 chapter serial Made: 1936
Genre: Action/Serial Studio: Universal/Filmcraft Inc.
Format: DVD Extras: 12 chapters on 2 discs. (Watched the middle 4 chapters)
Number of times viewed: 2

Stars:
John King--Ace Drummond, G-Man of the Air
Jean (Dale Arden of Flash Gordon fame) Rogers--Peggy Trainor
Lon Chaney Jr.--Ivan (henchman for the Dragon)
Noah Beery Jr.--Jerry
Guy Bates Post--The Lama
Jackie Morrow--Billy Trainor
Robert Warrick--Winston
James Leong--Henry Kee
Chester Gan--Kai-Chek
Arthur Loft--Chang Ho, the Drahgon
Montague Shaw--Dr. Trainor

Tagline: Amazing exploits in the sky!

Outline; Ace Drummond (King) is a G-Man of the air and he is sent to Mongolia to solve the problems that International Airlines is experiencing. International is trying to establish a base in Mongolia and include Mongolia as part of their international flights. The Dragon (Loft), a mysterious and intensely evil man, is determined to keep International Airlines out of Mongolia because he fears the additional foreign businesses coming into the area will interfere with his plans of acquiring a mountain of jade that has been discovered by the archeologist, Dr. Trainor (Shaw). We don't see the Dragon, we only hear his voice as he is able to transmit anywhere through fan-like devices. One of his lead henchmen is Ivan played by Lon Chaney Jr. (6 years prior to his classic role in The Wolfman).

Chapter 5: Bullets of Sand
Billy is sneaking around Bauer's camp, hoping to find clues to the whereabouts of the missing Dr. Trainor. When a group of workers show up Billy is forced to hide in a huge clay pot. The workers turn a torch on the pot to fire the clay, not knowing that Billy is hiding inside. Does this mean that flame-broiled Billy will be on tonight's menu?

Chapter 6: Evil Spirits
Chang Ho is helping Ace translate an ancient book that may help unlock the Dragon's secrets. Ace is summoned by the Grand Lama, or so he thought. It was a ruse to draw him away while the room Chang Ho is in is gassed. The Dragon's minion rushes in to take possession of the book. Ace realizes that he was tricked and races back to check on Chang Ho. Seeing his inert body, Ace attempts to carry him to safety only to succumb to the gas himself.

Chapter 7: The Trackless Trail
Jerry and Ace are searching for the Dragon in a series of caves. They discover the Dragon's store of explosives when Ivan (Chaney, Jr.) leads a group of the Dragon's flunkies to open fire at our heroes. The bullets set off the munitions pile that is surrounding Ace and Jerry. An explosion fills the screen.

Chapter 8: The Sign in the Sky
Ace drives like lightning to the airport so that he can radio the incoming clipper plane to turn back. Ace has learned that the Dragon is going to shoot the plane down and he wants to warn them before they are in range. Once Ace gets on the radio the Dragon's men focus their electronic shock machine on the source of the radio signal. The radio crackles and Ace hits the ground as though he were shot....

Here are some of the lyrics from the song that Ace loves to break into at any given moment:

Give me a trail to blaze,
For the rest of my days,
I'm gonna fly,
And it's gonna be high,

Give me luck and a happy landing,
And a tailwind good and strong,
Give me the open sky,
Give me a ship to fly,
Give me a song,
Give meeeee a ship and a soooong!

Cole Porter look out! The song may be very tacky, but Ace sings it with such dedicated earnestness that you gotta love him.

6* (out of 10) This is an above average serial with enough goofy characters to get your attention. The prologues to the episodes are shown, panel by panel, as a full page comic strip. A nice touch to tie the material to its original source.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 20th, 2008, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thanks for this, Chris. I'd heard of Ace Drummond, but I've never seen any of it. Your descriptions make me want to. I sounds like just the thing to help pass a chilly, dank, rainy day (such as we are having in NYC right now).
JDB
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Chris. Love your reviews, I've found some great films to watch because of them (and some to avoid, too!)

When you mentioned the Dragon transmitting his voice thru "fan like devices" it triggered an old, old memory. I remember my 2 older brothers watching a serial on TV, when the "bad guy" did the same thing. For some reason I thought it was "Terry and the Pirates", but now you've got me wondering. Have you ever come across another serial like the "Ace Drummond"'s that did this? I'm pretty sure it wasn't "Ace". This was in a tropical setting. Of course, we're talking lots of years ago.

Thanks
Nancy
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Judith,
You're most welcome. It is quite the wacky serial. I don't like to plug retail outlets but Alpha Video has put out numerous serials at very cheap prices. The quality is never great, but always very watchable. Sometimes they put an entire serial on one disc for about $5, sometimes they spread the serial over two (like Ace is), and then it would cost you $10 for the entire serial. They can be found at many major retailers or at OLDIES.Com. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone uses them, but that is where I've picked up a dozen or so entertaining serials at reasonable cost. They also have some higher quality serials listed at higher price points. Commercial over.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Nancy (I'm glad I don't have to address you as knitwit, I would feel quite guilty about that),
I have never seen the Terry and the Pirates serial, though I would love to. Another absolutely looney serial set in the jungle with electrical devices of all sorts is The Lost City, but I don't specifically remember if there was some form of communicating device that might fit the bill.

In The Phantom Empire (Gene Autry) there is an advanced civilization that lives underground that has television sets that can see just about anywhere, I believe they could listen in on conversations but I don't think it was two way communication. Another wild one with sci-fi overtones was Undersea Kingdom with Ray "Crash" Corrigan. It had lots of do-dads and gadgets. And who could forget the immortal Radar Men From the Moon?

Some others that I haven't seen that may fit the description: Captain Video, Tailspin Tommy, Robinson Crusoe of Clipper Island, Sky Raiders, Phantom, Queen of the Jungle, Jungle Girl or the Drums of Fu Manchu.

So many fun titles to tempt you! Unfortunately, sometimes the titles are the best part of the serial. I hope I wasn't more confusing than helpful.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

But I AM a knitwit :lol:

Thanks, Chris, a couple of those sound vaguely familiar, I think I will rattle the brothers memory banks (if they aren't already "overdrawn" :lol: )

And keep watching...you're better than a movie guide, because you tell us how YOU feel about the movie under review.

Thanks,
Nancy
cinemalover

The Trouble With Girls Review #288

Post by cinemalover »

As a kid I derived a perverse pleasure in teasing my Mom about some of the performers she cared for. I'd tease her about her Roy Rogers records, or maybe tease her about liking Elvis music. Well, life's a funny thing sometimes because my kids could choose to tease me for those same two artists if they chose. As I got older I developed an appreciation of both Roy and Elvis. Elvis movies rank right up there with Annette and the Beach Blanket movies in terms of esoteric worth, but they are fun in their own way. I have been able to enjoy every Elvis movie I've ever watched on some level, until now. Some would say that any Elvis is better than no Elvis at all, but after suffering through this film, I would beg to differ.

Date watched: 10/23/2007
Title: The Trouble With Girls (and how to get in to it) Made: 1969
Genre: Musical Drama Studio: MGM
Format: DVD-R Source: TCM
Number of times viewed: First

Stars:
Elvis Presley--Walter Hale
Marilyn Mason--Charlene
Nicole Jaffe--Betty
Sheree North--Nita Bix
Edward Andrews--Johnny
Vincent Price--Mr. Morality
John Carradine--Mr. Drew Colt
Joyce Van Patten--Maude
Dabney Coleman--Harrison Wilby
Duke Snider (yes, that Duke Snider)--The Cranker

Tagline: Elvis '69. Elvis crosses the country into trouble! Trouble! Trouble!

Plot: Walter Hale (Elvis) is running a Chautaugua Company (which is a word I was totally unfamiliar with. It is basically a bible-thumping medicine show/carnival that was popular in parts of the bible belt). This is a period piece set in the 1920's. Elvis dresses for the part but his haircut and sideburns make him appear to be a time-traveler just passing through. The Chautaugua travels from town to town and one of the big draws is a talent contest for the local kids. It is always in the Chautaugua's best interest when the town's important people's children win these contests, regardless of their complete lack of talent. The company's current stop is lovely Radford Center.

I am baffled at what the purpose of this film is. The period setting does nothing for Elvis, who has very little singing to do. There is a subplot with Harrison Wilby (Dabney Coleman in an early role that helped define the self-centered weasel of a character that he would form his career around) who is drooling over an employee in his pharmacy. When he finally goes overboard and attacks her she has to shoot him in self-defense. Her confession becomes the highlight of the Chautauga as the show sells tickets to see the murderer confess! Elvis feels like a guest star in his own movie, he gets so little screen time.

The only two fun performances are by a couple of hammy old pros. Vincent Price plays Mr. Morality who lectures on his namesake. He's a big blowhard as he blows into the hotel to check in.
Mr. Morality, "I'm certain that you remember that I always sleep with four pillows!"
Hotel Clerk, "No...but I'll get them for you. Why do you sleep with four pillows?"
Mr. Morality, "I sleep propped up then when I think of something immortal I'm in a better position to write it down!"
Duh!

John Carradine plays Mr. Drew Colt who recites Shakespearean quotations while attempting to never face a day sober. This must have been a big reach for Mr. Carradine.

When the woman that murdered Wilby shows up at the Chautaugua and collapses from consumption at Walter's feet he is asked, "What do you do when a girl you're out with gets this drunk?"
Walter, "I've never been that lucky!"
Okay, that's just an EEEEHHHHWWWWW moment, and one more reason to completely avoid this film.

Charley says a line to Walter that I might pass on to the producers of this film that was marketed as just another fun Elvis picture, "Don't smile, they might see your forked tongue!"

Another total inconsistency in the film is the random choice of odd camera angles and jostling the camera for strange effect. It's like they thought they were filming an episode of The Monkees, but only for an occasional scene here and there. Just dumb, yet it somehow makes sense in this mindless entry in the Elvis filmography.

2* (out of 10) Run, don't walk, to your remote when this film comes on and find another option. ANY other option.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 20th, 2008, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Hey Chris, going back to the Lone Wolf movie and basically Warren William in particular what do you think of him as an actor?

I've seen quite a few of his movies thanks to TCM and I must say while he wasn't the GREATEST actor around he just oozed coolness. I watched one of his Perry Mason movies and boy is it different then the Perry Mason I know LOL!

William seemed to be the guy that was cast as either the uncaring, get it done no matter what type or the playboyish, "I can get any woman I want" type of role as well.

Very interesting guy from what i've seen tho. A lot of his roles have a sameness to them but he infuses a vitality that makes it fresh and the movie fun.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hey Bogie,
Warren William seems to me to be playing the same character in almost every role I've seen him in. (Admittedly, there are huge chunks of his filmography that I've yet to explore). He is generally the suave, self-assured man with a plan. The emotional range I've seen him display has been very limited, not that these parts called for huge dramatics. I like him, but does he bring anything to the table that a George Sanders or Tom Conway doesn't? I'm not sure. On the other hand when you get a Chester Morris playing one of these roles he has a much more humorous, playful side to his personality.

When you place a somewhat dry personality like Warren next to a comic ham like Eric Blore, that just exaggerates his lack of pizzazz, at least for me. I'm rambling now and am not sure if I answered your question.
Chris

cinemalover

Blondie Has Servant Trouble Review #289

Post by cinemalover »

Blooooonnnnndddieeee! as Dagwood would say....

This is from Blondie Volume II
A single disc set that contains the following five Blondie features:
Blondie Has Servant Trouble 1940
Blondie Plays Cupid 1940
Blondie in Society 1941
Blondie Goes Latin 1941
Blondie Goes to College 1941

These are the TV prints, which only differ in that some preview scenes have been added to the beginning of each movie and the Screen Credits have been altered. The movies appear to be complete and are in outstanding condition.

Date watched: 10/24/2007
Title: Blondie Has Servant Trouble Made: 1940
Genre: Comedy Studio: Columbia
Format: DVD Extras: None
Number of times viewed: 3

Stars:
Penny Singleton--Blondie
Arthur Lake--Dagwood Bumstead
Larry Simms--Baby Dumpling
Jonathan Hale--J.C. Dithers

Daisy--Herself
Danny Mummert--Alvin Fuddle
Arthur Hohl--Eric Vaughn
Esther Dale--Anna Vaughn
Ray Turner--Horatio Jones
Irving Bacon--Mr. Crumb, Mailman

Based on the comic strip created by Chic Young.

Tagline: The most delirious of all Bumstead adventures!

Plot: Blondie (Singleton) has long desired a maid and when she again reminds Dagwood (Lake) of her desire for domestic help, he reminds her that the subject of a maid was supposed to be off limits.
Blondie, "That's right. There wasn't supposed to be any talk about a maid until you got a raise!"
Dagwood, "Now, wait a minute, Blondie, there wasn't supposed to any talk about a raise either!"
Blondie, ".....and until you get a raise...., well, until things are different we're never going to mention the word maid or raise in this house!"
Just then the brat from next door (Alvin played by Danny Mummert) bursts into the kitchen to inform them, "Well, the Williams finally got a maid!"
If evil glares could kill Dagwood would be facing the death penalty.

Dagwood eventually gets up the courage to go ask Mr. Dithers (Hale) for a raise so that he can hire a maid for Blondie.
Mr. Dither's reaction, "With you around the house it's a wonder she doesn't want a bodyguard!"

Mr. Dithers won't give Dagwood a raise but he does have another problem that he might be able to help Dagwood out with. He is the executor of the Batterson Estate that is currently empty. The neighbors are giving him headaches complaining about the mansion being spooky and haunted. Mr. Dithers figures that if he can con Dagwood and his family into staying at the mansion that would prove to the neighbors that nothing is wrong at the place. Dithers sells Dagwood on the idea of taking a vacation at the mansion, heck, he might even pony up for some servants to appease Blondie. How could slow-witted Dagwood turn an opportunity to make Blondie happy down?

The Bumsteads quickly pack up and are on their way to the estate. Of course, they arrive after dark as a thunderstorm is brewing. When they enter the place is dark and creepy. Suddenly a sheet seems to be floating towards them, oh my gosh, are the rumors true about this place being haunted? The "ghost" turns out to be Horatio Jones (Turner) who has been instructed that he must spend the night in the mansion as part of his fraternity initiation. Horatio has mastered the art of having his eyeballs stick so far out of his head that they threaten to pop out. He gets to use this look repeatedly as he is in a constant state of fear.

Dagwood to Horatio, "Man to man. You don't think this place is haunted do you?"
Horatio (teeth clattering), "No sir.....I knows it is!"

Someone is knocking at the front door. It is Mr. and Mrs. Vauhgn (Hohl and Dale) whom the Bumsteads assume are the servants that Mr. Dithers was going to send over. The Vaughns don't say anything to contradict those assumptions. Eric Vaughn is really there to take possession of the house that he feels is rightfully his. He thinks that Batterson got rich from all the magic tricks that Vaughn had created for him. The estate is filled with magician props and tools. Vaughn is completely mad and possibly homicidal. As he and his wife pretend to be servants his wife has to restrain him several times from going postal on Dagwood. Vaughn views the Bumsteads as just one more expendable roadblock to his rightful claim on the mansion.

Blondie and Dagwood land right in the middle of the Old Dark House scenario and Dagwood is usually two steps behind what is transpiring. We get trap doors, revolving walls and secret passages. And as is often the case, Baby Dumpling may be the smartest one in the room. Ray Turner fits all the stereotypes of the frightened black men that so many films from the 30's and 40's portrayed. Arthur Hohl really looks like he's got a screw loose and I certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near the kitchen cutlery. Arthur Lake and Penny Singleton continue to be absolutely perfect for their parts and bring the popular comic strip to life. This is a very good entry in the long-running series.

Baby Dumpling manages to get off my favorite line of the film when observing the constant bickering of his parents: "When I get married, I'm gonna be a bachelor!"

7* (out of 10) One of the most dependable of the comedic series. You always know what you’re getting, and I always want to go back for a second helping.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 20th, 2008, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Fractured Review #290

Post by cinemalover »

Karie and I had a chance to sit and enjoy a recent thriller....

Date watched: 10/25/2007
Title: Fractured Made: 2007
Genre: Crime Thriller Studio: New Line Cinema
Format: DVD Extras: None
Number of times viewed: First

Stars:
Anthony Hopkins--Ted Crawford
Ryan Gosling--Deputy D.A. Willy Beachum
David Straithaim--D.A. Joe Labruto
Rosamund Pike--Nikki Gardner
Embeth Davidtz--Jennifer Crawford
Billy Burke--Lt. Robert Nunnally
Cliff Curtis--Det. Flores
Fiona Shaw--Judge Robinson
Bob Grunton--Judge Foster
Josh Stramberg--Norman Foster
Zander Berkley--Judge Moran
Zoe Kazan--Mona

Taglines:
If you look close enough you'll find everyone has a weak spot.

I shot my wife...prove it!

Plot: Ted Crawford (Hopkins) is a genius who runs his own areonautical firm. He has a younger, beautiful, trophy wife, Jennifer (Davidtz). She has been having an affair with police Lt. Robert Nunnally (Burke), but it has been an affair of first names only, meeting two days a week at the same hotel room. Ted discovers the affair and is determined to break it up the old-fashioned way. He'll kill his wife and frame Nunnally.

Ted shoots his wife in cold blood one evening when she comes home from her regular tryst with Nunnally. Ted has planned out everything to minute detail. His gardners are in the yard when he shoots her so that there is someone to alert the police. Ted has even checked to see what shift Nunnally was working, because he wants him to be the officer in charge of the investigation. When Nunnally arrives Ted allows only him to come into the house to see what happened and hear his confession.
Ted (calmly and completely devoid of emotion), "It was just like I suddenly snapped. I got the gun and I shot her in the head. I know it was wrong."

So Lt. Nunnally believes he has caught one of the easiest cases in his career. He has the murder weapon, he has a willing confession, but he hasn't identified the victim yet. When he looks at the face of the victim he suddenly realizes that the love of his life has been murdered. Since the two of them had been on a first name basis only (by her mandate), Nunnally had no clue that she lived here when he received the assignment. It's all part of Ted's master plan.

The prosecution case is given to Deputy D.A. Willy Beachum (Gosling), even though he is about to quit the D.A.'s office to go to work for the prestigious private firm of Wooton Sims. Willy is all about the conviction rate, because he knows a high conviction rate will bring him the riches he so desires. At first he doesn't want the case because he's half-way out the door already. But when Willy goes to the hearing, Ted manipulates him into taking this case by playing dumb and insisting that he doesn't need a lawyer, he'll defend himself. Willy's eyes light up like a Christmas tree at the prospect of adding another easy tally in his win column. Ted is just laying back, like a cat playing with a mouse, knowing that the result of their little contest is a foregone conclusion.

Once the trial starts Willy begins to realize just how brilliant Ted is. The confession is thrown out when Ted reveals that the arresting officer, Lt. Nunnally, was having an affair with his wife. Not only that but when he was the only one in the house with Nunnally, the Lieutenant coerced a confession out of him. When the ballistic results come back the gun that they had from the scene doesn't match the bullet from the victim. What the hey? Willy and the police know that the gun used has to be hidden somewhere in Ted's house because there were witnesses surrounding the house after the shooting and no one entered or left.

The police tear the house apart looking for the gun.
Willy (beyond frustration, venting at Detective Flores [Curtis]), "I could be wrong, but I don't think that the gun grew little gun legs and walked out of here!"

The stew thickens as this case becomes an embarrassment for the D.A.'s office and threatens Willy's new job. There are several more twists and turns approaching the finish line, many of them unpredictable. This is a wonderful thriller that showcases Hopkins' thespian skills. He is just as creepy as his Hannibal Lecter character, but in a different way altogether. He knows he's so much smarter than everyone else and he basks in taunting them with his brilliance. I wasn't familiar with Gosling prior to this movie but he took to this part of an ego-obsessed lawyer looking for life's big score like frost in the winter. The support cast capably fulfills their obligations, but few can escape the shadows of these two central figures.

Karie 9* (out of 10) Karie thought it was absolutley thrilling and a must see.

8* (out of 10) The fact that I figured out the final twist quite awhile prior to it being revealed (and I would think that many people paying attention to the details would be able to) is the only slight tarnish on this otherwise impeccable piece. Bravo! Well done, Mr. Hopkins and company!
Last edited by cinemalover on May 20th, 2008, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Support Your Local Gunfighter Review #291

Post by cinemalover »

And now for the third entry in the James Garner boxed set....

Date watched: 10/27/2007
Title: Support Your Local Gunfighter Made: 1971
Genre: Western Comedy Studio: MGM/ Cherokee Productions
Format: DVD Extras :Anamorphic WS
Number of times viewed: 8

Director--Burt Kennedy (who also directed the companion film Support Your Local Sheriff)

Stars:
James Garner--Latigo Smith
Suzanne Pleshette--Patience Barton
Harry Morgan--Taylor Barton
Jack Elam--Jug May
Joan Blondell--Jenny
John Dehner--Colonel Ames
Henry Jones--Ez
Dub Taylor--Doc Schultz
Marie Windsor--Goldie
Kathleen Freeman--Mrs. Perkins
Willis Bouchey--McLaglen
Chuck Connors--Swifty Morgan

A very plucky, upbeat score by Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson that leaves no doubt in your mind from the opening scene that there will be humorous activity upcoming.

Tagline:
The story of a man who took the law into his own finger!

The fastest finger in the west returns with dynamite!

Despite the similar title, same director and many of the same cast this is NOT a sequel to Support Your Local Sheriff. To add to the confusion even the advertising lines (see above) seem to indicate that the same character is returning. Once again James Garner and Jack Elam are paired together, but as completely different characters. As we see right from the get-go Garner's Latigo Smith is nowhere near as honorable as his Jason character in the previous film.

Plot: Latigo Smith is on a train bound for Denver with his bride to be. It should be one of the happiest days of his life, instead he's desperate to sneak off the train and be rid of his betrothed. She is a woman of means that he has been romancing solely for her money. Latigo is quite the gigolo and con-man. Apparently his bankroll is big enough now that he no longer needs her. He bribes the assistant conductor to sneak him off the train in the middle of the night at Pergatory, a grungy little mining town.

Our first impression of Pergatory involves seeing the fiery-tempered Patience Barton (Pleshette) shooting up the town because one of the miners offended her. Her brother, Orville, and her father, Taylor (Morgan), have to disarm her and calm her down before she fills somebody with holes.

Patience (in her own defense, but still shouting), "I only shoot riff-raff!!!"
Orville, "You shot at us!"
Patience (logically), "I missed you!"
Orville, "You couldn't hit a bull in the a** with a banjo!"
Taylor, "Watch that smart mouth, Orville! Take her home! (Patience tries to complain) I said home! And don't let her stop at the China man's for a beer, she gets mean when she's drunk!"

Patience is pretty much mean all the time. She hates this hick-water town and all the hicks in it and is just waiting to get to a lady's finishing school in New York.

As Latigo lands in Pergatory he's got two issues. One, he's on the lam from his former fiancé, and two, he has a big tattoo emblazoned with her name that he is desperate to remove. He goes in search of Doc Schultz (Taylor) to see if it can be taken off. Doc gets Latigo up to speed on the town's dynamics.

Doc, "Pergatory sits back on the top of two mines. Taylor Barton owns one of 'em, Colonel Ames (Dehner) the other. Been fightin' each other tryin' to tunnel their way to the mother lode goin' on two years now."
Latigo, "The mother lode?"
Doc, "Dead center of town according to them geologist fellas. Kinda' like building the railroad connecting East to West. whoever gets there first gets to drive the golden stake!"
Latigo, "And the other one gets the shaft!"
Doc (smirking), "Gets the shaft!"

As Latigo starts to familiarize himself with the town he meets Jug May (Elam) in the gambling saloon. Latigo informs Jug of his disdain of gambling.

Latigo (eyeing the roulette wheel), "Dimwits!"
Jug (suspecting the worse), "Who?"
Latigo, "Idiots playing roulette!"
Jug, "Oh....some people like it."
Latigo, "Suckers! The worst kind of suckers! The house has got all the best of it. Now they oughta' take all the roulette dealers out and string 'em up! House got 8% the best of it. That means one out of every twelve times the house is gonna take your money and you haven't a chance! Nah, anybody who plays roulette oughta' have their head examined, they oughta' just take them out and lock them up. They oughta' burn all roulette wheels."

Latigo and Jug are now staring at the roulette wheel with utter contempt. Then Latigo calmly strolls over to the wheel and slams down $4600 on #23. When the ball stops on #22 Latigo quietly faints. He has now lost the bankroll he had amassed from his gigolo duties.

There has been a rumor floating around town that one of the two mine owners had sent for notorious gunfighter Swifty Morgan to help settle the mining differences. No one knows what he looks like and since Latigo seems to be a smooth talking stranger the townsfolk assume that he is Swifty. This makes him a target for any local boys looking to enhance their own reps with a gun. One such youth tracks Latigo down while he's shopping with Jug and his latest lady friend and challenges him to a gun duel in the street. Latigo tells him to go on outside and he'll join him momentarily. As soon as the kid's back is turned Latigo clubs him with his gun butt, sending him to dreamland.

Jug (incredulously), "You hit him from behind!?"
Latigo (bragging), "Just as hard as I could!"
Latigo then picks up an iron and smashes the guy's trigger finger. Just a little preventative medicine. When Jug points out that the kid was a lefty Latigo goes back and crushes his other trigger finger.

Latigo is still flat broke but his manipulative mind now has a plan to get back in the black. He is going to tell everyone that Jug is really Swifty and that he is Swifty's manager. This will allow Latigo to play the two mine owners against each other to outbid each other for Swifty's "services". The plan hits a slight snag when Colonel Ames figures out that Jug is an imposter. He sends a telegram to the real Swifty to tell him that someone is imitating him and destroying his rep. That will bring Swifty quickly and in a nasty mood. Once the town knows the truth Latigo and Jug are asked to depart.

Latigo (philisophically), "Ah...like I said...man should spread the happiness as he walks through life."
Jug (sarcastically), "I think we been spreadin' it a bit thick!"

They don't get out of town quickly enough as the real Swifty (Connors, making fun of his tough guy image) arrives. Swifty is such a tough, always ready gunfighter that he wears his gunbelt on the outside of his suit jacket. Now that's mean. Swifty and Latigo meet for a showdown in the streets of Pergatory for an explosive finale!

With so much of the same cast as Sheriff you've already got a comfort level set. Pleshette is a nice addition to the cast as the ill-tempered and ill-named Patience. Elam, once again, gets to play the comic dimwit, and does so to perfection. Garner is outstanding, though his character is not as sympathetic as in the previous movie. He can play the con man with the best of them, and had plenty of practice in his series, Maverick. Released two years after Sheriff it was obviously trying to ride on those box office coattails, so while technically not a sequel it suffers most sequels' fate by paling in comparison to the original. They failed to catch lightning in a bottle for a second time, but what they did catch is still a good 75 watt bulb and pretty entertaining.

7* (out of 10) Very good, but it never scales the heights of greatness like the first one did. Anytime you get Garner in a western, a comedy, or any combination of the two, you want to find time for it in your viewing schedule.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 20th, 2008, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't seen this one in awhile but I will soon as it is currently on my cable's "On Demand."

One thing that threw me is that so much of the cast of "Sheriff" is here but they are all playing different characters. When you get that many the assumption is that it is a sequel. (Which it is not.) I seem to remember Pleshette being a bit broad (for my tastes) in her acting.

Once you get past the cast being a completely different set of characters it is quite enjoyable.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

For anyone who gets the Western Channel both of the Support movies are being broadcast numerous times in the month of November. Sheriff makes its first appearance on November 6th and Gunfighter shows up on the 21st. If you've never seen these films give yourself an early Christmas present and enjoy! And if you have seen 'em, see 'em again!
Chris