WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]SUE SUE APPLEGATE[/color][/u] wrote:Gong Li was also good in Shanghai Triad.
[u][color=#800000]MR. ARKADIN[/color][/u] wrote:
Not to mention:

Red Sorghum (1988)
Ju Dou (1990)
Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
The Story of Qiu Ju (1991)
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
To Live (1994)
Temptress Moon (1996)

Can you tell I'm a fan?
I can see why. She's a very good actress. Why d'ya s'pose she hasn't really broken big here in the States? Ooooh, we don't want to count "Miami Vice" do we? Does Gong Li need Hollywood, Mr. A?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The early collaborations with Zhang Yimou under communist oppression were easily her greatest achievements, but they are rarely talked about, or shown in this country. My favorite film, Ju Dou is currently OOP. If those films were given the recognition they deserve, there is no doubt in my mind that she would be chosen for more prominent roles that would better represent her talent. A very similar situation to Ingrid Bergman, but unlike Ingrid, she has not had the opportunity to have a major lead role in a blockbuster American picture. The other issue is that she is growing older (she refused to work outside of China for years) and despite all the lip service that Hollywood gives, they have always had a shelf date for female actresses that has not been applied to their male counterparts. I do think that injustice is slowly changing, as there are a lot more roles for mature actresses now than ever before, but I don't know that it would help her at this point. Does Gong Li need Hollywood? Judging by the majority of modern American films I see today, I'd say no.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:) Nicely said.

"...lip service" made me smile. I thought of Botox. Well without doubt, Gong Li is a treasure.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

[youtube][/youtube]
feaito

Post by feaito »

Count me in as a fan of Gong Li or Li Gong; I saw her years ago in "Ju Dou" (1990) and "Red Sorghum" (1988), two masterpieces which I haven't watched again and I revisited recently "Raise the Red Lantern" (1991) and "Farewell My Concubine" (1993), both superb films. One of my favorite "more" recent films is "The Curse of the Golden Flower" in which she plays magnificently the adulterous Empress. Wasn't she also featured in "Memoirs of a Geisha"?
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

feaito wrote:I watched these films on Saturday and Sunday:

Brief Ecstasy” (1937) Thanks to Christine I was able to watch this very interesting British film directed by Edmond T. Gréville, with a very adult story, which would have been un-filmable that same year in Hollywood (under the Production Code). The very attractive Linden Travers plays a woman in between love and loyalty to her husband. She found love –by chance- once and lost it (a young Hugh Williams plays his love interest), so she married an older professor (Paul Lukas) who was her mentor at the University where she studied. His husband’s household is run by a jealous spinsterish housekeeper (brilliantly portrayed by Marie Ney). The film’s adult approach to its subject matter impressed me and so did the imaginative camera angles and superimposed shots. I had read about this taut melodrama on William K. Everson’s book “Love on Film” and I wasn’t let down at all.
Found this on YTB yesterday - nice example of a quota quickie with enjoyable stars, good direction and some interesting montage and camera work, but basically the cinematic equivalent of a Harlequin Romance novel. At only 65 minutes, who can resist a little BRIEF ECSTASY?

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you for posting that, Jez. I am a Hugh Williams fan but somehow he's always gone under the radar for most people. This one looks like something I would like.
Last edited by JackFavell on May 22nd, 2012, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Jez, Thanks for reminding me of that film. I should revisit it soon! I'm glad it is available on YT. I saw Williams on the WE in the 1930 version of "Charley's Aunt".
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Count me in as a big Gong Li fan too. I'm wholeheartedly agree with you Mr Arkadin about her needing Hollywood, if she'd have spent her time in Hollywood I'm sure I woludn't be as acquainted with her as I am now. I find what ever role she's playing she has a serene quality and I like the parallel to Ingrid Bergman who's Italian movies are comparable for me to the qualities of Gong Li's.

I had fun today watching Dangerously They Live made in 1941 starring John Garfield and Nancy Coleman (who looks to me like a cross between Ingrid Bergman and Ava Gardener) and very convincingly plays a girl with amnesia who suddenly remembers that she's carrying some very important information and that the man posing as her father is the guy who is trying to get the information. Garfield plays her doctor who gradually starts to believe her story. Some improbable situations ensue but it's all quite fun and not overly predictable and the ending must have been very stirring to the war time audiences. Although some studios weren't willing to side on one side or the other in the time before Pearl Harbour, Warner Brothers doesn't shy away here and any German American must have been squirming a little in the audience. Raymond Massey is completely chilling as the doctor and mastermind.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Cool! Sounds like a silly, but fun pulp novel!
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

JackFavell wrote: I am a Hugh Williams fan but somehow he's always gone under the radar for most people.
Count me as a fan too! I guess most, like myself recall him only as that unlikable wuss Hindley in WUTHERING HEIGHTS, and as I saw him in more films I'd say to myself "Oh, there is Hindley". But then with the advent of the internet and IMDB I came to realize he was the father of Simon Williams aka James Bellamy whom I had adored all those years on UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS! If you watch Hugh in some very early 1930's films where he has a moustache, he looks (and sounds) exactly like James Bellamy. So now when I see old Britflick's on Youtube, I search for Hugh Williams in the cast - that's how I came across this one.
Last edited by Jezebel38 on May 22nd, 2012, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OMG!Get out of town! I love Simon Williams! I had no idea they were related! I can't believe it, no wonder I love them both. James was my favorite character on any tv show for a long long time. Still might be, now that I think of it.

I first came to love him as Steerforth in David Copperfield(1935). He gives this smarmy role a real touch of class, making Steerforth a man who simply can't help himself, rather than an out and out bounder...kind of like poor James Bellamy. It's a lovely performance. For years I didn't realize he was even the same actor as awful Hindley, but when I did realize it, the impact was huge, I knew he was a great actor at that point. Now I see him in all sorts of films, An Ideal Husband, One of Our Aircraft is Missing... etc. I now have to go watch them all over again to see his resemblance to his son!

And Alison, I think Dangerously They Live is one of the best B programmers Warners filmed that I have seen. It really keeps you on the edge of your seat, and I just love John Garfield in the film. It has a lot of energy and his charisma just makes you want to watch even more. One tight spot after another. And Raymond Massey is so evil, playing the kindly mentor so well. Ack!
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

feaito wrote: I saw Williams on the WE in the 1930 version of "Charley's Aunt".
Oh gosh - this looks like it is his first film role. I believe it just played recently on TCM, but I don't have that channel right now, so didn't catch it. The earliest film I've seen Hugh Williams in is the excellent ROME EXPRESS (1932).
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

CineMaven wrote:Allison, where are you getting to see these movies ("Down Three Dark Streets" etc.)? Are you renting the DVDs, your local library, aired on TCM in England? Just curious. I love "B" movies. In fact, I ordered and received yesterday my first time Warner Archive purchase. I've got "HIGHWAY 301." Look, I don't have high hopes or great expectations for that one. I have my own reasons for wallowing in Cochran's muddy waters.

Wally Cox was explained nicely by Knitty, but why R.R. injected him into the conversation in the first place, is his own brand of humor.

And less you think the Maven is just a low-brow kinda gal, (I am...or I should say I have my moments) I also got in the mail my order of Henri-Georges Clouzot's "QUAI DES ORFEVRES" which I've been wanting to see again, for years. I can't wait to settle in for a night, and watch and see if it's as good as I remembered. I'd been blown away.

Now, for a film I've seen lately (here on TCM)...it was last night's screening of: "WRITTEN ON THE WIND."

Ohhhhhh sure...it's a 1950's hyper melodramatic soap opera all the way. And that's a bad thing??? Naaaaah!!! Not bad at all. I love the way the movie starts...with its BIG MUSIC and the Universal logo (oh my...even the earth looks so gorgeously blue and glamorous as it slowly rotates!) We see Robert Stack tear down the road in his little banana-colored roadster, guzzling a whole bottle of Scotch (or is it whiskey? What DO the rich drink? We already know they eat caviar every night) before the title of the film appears. I like that way of introducing a movie. I remember "The Tattered Dress" used that formula too. It's like the movie and I are saying:

THE MOVIE: "Let's get this party started...quickly!"
CINEMAVEN: "Well boy, I'm ready...let's go go go!!!"

IAGO as a hot blonde.

In "Written on the Wind" I revel in the goings on of the dipsomaniacal siblings played by Robert Stack and Dorothy Malone...both suffering from self-esteem issues. And they're the hoot of the movie. (Not that I'm laughing at them; I just enjoy their shenanigans soooo much!) Stack is all glassy-eyed with booze, jealousy, feelings of inadequacy and his love/hate for his childhood friend, played by 6'4", stalwart, slightly boring, but g*^$#@!!! handsome Rock Hudson. Yeah, Stack chews up the scenery but he's great in the role. A tortured man...with millions!!! (I should be so tortured!) I like when the old classics pit the lead and the second lead a bit against each other; think Paul Newman and Robert Vaughn in "The Young Philadelphians." Vaughn and Stack had similar tortured whiny roles and I liked them both in their respective movies.

I like the bi-play between Hudson and Stack...their healthy competition for girls. I like that Hudson never lords it over Stack that he really is the better man. He knows he has Stack's dad's admiration (just wonderfully played by Robert Keith who I LOVE in this), but never threw it in Stack's face.

I find Rock Hudson so very natural in this movie...and very subtle too. He's not over the top at all. (Oh, maybe when he shouts at Stack to "GET OUT BEFORE I KILL YOU!!!!!") But all in all his quiet longing for Lauren Bacall is handled well. He gives her quiet and quick looks, glances. I like how he quietly sits in a dark room, fiddling his ukelele while the raging Mambo engagement party was going on downstairs. Very convincing. I believe him. I like when the reporter, twangy William Schallert (love that guy) says "Don't look now, but your torch is burning." He's got it bad and that's so goooood...for a soap opera.

Lauren Bacall...I think she's solid in this. Smart gal. Now, she doesn't have her smoldering panther-like persona of her early forays as Bogey's baby ("To Have & Have Not" or "The Big Sleep"). Here, she's a smart career girl; love her tailored outfits, the muted gray skirt and blouse. She's so angular...her feline eyes, shock of red lipstick and still that voice. She could have been quite the "career girl" in movies; more appropriately: business woman. Could've been an Executive (not merely an Executive Secretary). I like her confident way in the office scene with Hudson in the beginning of the movie. I love how they're both slightly sanctimoniously contemptuous of the monied "Hadleys." They have that in common. Yet they stay hangin' with the Hadleys. Wassup with that?! I didn't see them shrinking away from a $500 martini because it smells of grease. She switches gears once she's picked up by Stack. All that sharp confidence is gone, though the gauzy camera filter she's shot with remains on her throughout the film.

Image Image
She should have followed her gut. Now she has buyer's remorse.

I never could figure out WHY she married Stack in the first place, so quickly. After all, she saw his desperation...the full court press he put on her in sweeping her off her feet for some "fun." That over-the-top hotel suite spelled over-compensation if I ever saw it. And she wasn't that kind of a girl. (At least for one night Betty Bacall??? Well, I guess not. Ack! Principles...so over-rated). She rejects him...but then he quickly wins her over, woos her (in all of five minutes of screen time). I never figured that out. Trust me, I accept it...but I never fully understand that as anything more than a plot point. And even at that, it doesn't really bother me. (I took the Sirkian Pledge back in 1968 before I was allowed to watch ANY of his movies). But before you think the movie blands her out in soapy 50's style...I like her sharpness in her scene with Dorothy Malone. They're both competing for Hudson's affections through talk of Stack. (And yes, I'm sure you know the movie trivia of a brunette Malone appearing with Bogart in "The Big Sleep"). Bacall and Malone...a little circling each other...sizing up each other...brushing one out of one's hair, and killing plants with alcohol. Nice edge to that scene.

But heck, we all know this is DOROTHY MALONE's picture. I have to IMDB her and see where in her filmography this movie comes. I've got to see what comes before. Maybe that'll help me see WHY she won an Oscar for this. Hey, I think the Oscar was well-deserved. (Yeah, let me IMDB Oscar nominees that year too. Oh wait, I can look it up in my Robert Osborne book on Oscar history). Dorothy Malone played the hell outta that role. She is truly a house on fire in this movie. Is Malone's glass half-empty or half-full? You can say she plays a poor spoiled little rich girl. I prefer to say she's a woman whose unrequited love for childhood friend Hudson is so intense, that it practically destroys all around her including herself. (That's part of the Sirkian Pledge I took). Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...I ask you. How does this poor girl spend her days? (We already know how she spends her nights). She spends her days pining for Hudson's Mitch.

"I love you Mitch. I'm desperate for you...I'll wait and I'll have you. Marriage or no marriage."

NO MARRIAGE? WHOA!! She wants what every girl of the 50's was indoctrinated to want. A husband, a home...children. Well, maybe not the kids. To me that just means she recognizes she hasn't got the maternal instinct. Geeez Rock Hudson (I call him by his first and last name). He should have been a gentleman and just put her out of her misery by taking her on a nice Club Med weekend getaway rendezvous (paid for with her daddy's money). She could have "worked" it out of her system and be done with it. I even think Freud would have recommended that bit of therapy. (Or is that Karl Jung's stand?) But noooooooo. His character has to be an upright, stand-up guy; not stringing her along...pining for his friend's wife. Ha! Some friend.

And with Malone's transference of lust and emotion, ev'ry cheap temporarily thrilling and satisfying/unsatisfying dalliance is just another nail in her poor ol' Dad's coffin...and in her self-esteem. Mitch could've bitten the bullet for the good of the Hadleys and just gone to bed with MaryLou. Integrity. Sheesh! Underrated. (Loved when the cops bring her home from the Motel and through the window we see her fix her mink wrap. Can she peripherally see her father looking at her through that window?)

But then here's my half-empty/half-full conflict...Could she not learn a trade? (A different trade). Couldn't she have learned the oil business, become a secretary, a teacher? A NURSE for corn flakes? No other option? No other fish in the sea? No other fish to fry?

I guess Malone's Mary Lou was of stronger stock. She wasn't going to go out like crazy Sister Ruth in "Black Narcissus." She wasn't going to go out batty with desire. This is what happens when a woman's potential is limited. The Supreme Court should remember that.

I had a great time watching "Written on the Wind" last night. TCM should add this film to their film festival roster this April...and bring out DOROTHY MALONE!!!! It's a double triangle, and the triangles are intertwined. With lights out, my comfy bed, a drink, some popcorn and Douglas Sirk. Mmmmmm. I can't think of a better time.

I didn't read the review at the time because I knew very little about the movie and just had to wait until I could get hold of a copy. I love the colour of Sirk's movies and this is no exception. I thought Dorothy Malone's character the antithesis of Lana Turner's character in Imitation of Life, the same look but very different morals, her's is the best part in the picture and wow does she steal the movie.

I can see why Lucy went with Kyle, he was such a little boy, scarred by his rich childhood and by his enforced friendship with Mr Perfect. He was far more exciting than his buddy. Lucy kept Kyle happy for a year but with the witch of a sister in law working against her, what chance did they stand? They should have got out of that house. Brian Keith is wonderful as th father, who could have a problem with having him as a father? Unaware of his daughter's tramp lifestyle, actually he was too nice to give support to the dipsimaniac tendencies of his children. Lucy was too perfect but it's good to see Bacall in a later role showing she's just as capable without Bogey. I thought Robert Stack was perfectly over the top and never would I have thrown him over for his best friend, I think I'd have walked out and left them all behind and gone back to advertising. A great melodrama and a visual joy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin