WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

[u]RedRiver[/u] wrote:There's almost nothing going on other than ax wielding and heads rolling. The intelligent parts of the story have been conveniently excised. All that's left is the blood. And believe me, there's a lot of it!
And that's a bad thing? :shock:
Anyone who sees this terrible travesty will not want to read the book. I assure you, this is a case of apples and oranges. Raymond Massey, where are you?
Pssst...don't disturb Ray...he's out chasing vampires.

I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. Books, screenplays...two different animals. Did I like the movie 'cuz I didn't read the book? I had fun with it. The young man playing Lincoln looked like a young Liam Neeson. The parts with he and "Mary Todd" were good, quiet...serious, not camped up. I liked Anthony Mackie. Perhaps they could have said a little more on the treatment of Blacks back then. But naaaaaaah, I just want to have fun. I didn't expect Abe to be old though when he reached for the axe again. The idea of the Confederacy loaded with vampires was interesting. (Kind of like now, no? At least three of those Supreme Court judges ARE vampires, right?) The train ride at the end of the film was exciting. ("There's more than one railroad.") I thought the director had a unique p.o.v. Look, nobody here at the Oasis is crazy enuf to see it, but I'm game for different things...and concepts. See, I don't know if I could read the book now, knowing what happens. The North wins the war.

What's the next ( modern ) movie on your list to see?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

On Monday I saw another good Bob Hope comedy, produced by Samuel Goldwyn and released by RKO Radio: "They Got Me Covered" (1942), in which he plays an inept WWII Correspondent looking for an exclusive -who has won the Pulitzer prize in the near past due to the help of a mysterious man who sells political information- :wink: Hope's character is quite unnerving most of the time, but at the same time he succeeds at making the audience laugh at his stupidity. Dot Lamour is his girlfriend and fellow co-worker at the newspaper and makes a very fine couple with him. I must say I like Bob and Dot alone together, much more than with Bing inn the "Road" pictures. Lenore Aubert plays a sexy spy who lures Hope.

Something that captured my attention is that both Adrian and Edith Head worked in this film, only that Adrian was credited for the general costume design and Head was only in charge of Miss Lamour's wardrobe. It's somewhat odd that somebody of the stature of Adrian was not chosen by Lamour, the feminine star of the film, to design her wardrobe. But I wonder if this has to do with the fact that, as it was stated in an Edith Head documentary included as an extra in the "To Catch a Thief" (1955) DVD and Blu Ray releases, that when during the 1930s Head was put in charge of the wardrobe of the younger and not yet established starlets or lesser magnitude stars at Paramount, she was much liked by them because she listened to what they wanted (unlike Travis Banton) and included their feedback in her designs, making them feel more secure and comfortable. Thus, when those ladies became big stars later in the 1940s they were faithful forever to Head. I guess Dot Lamour was one of those ladies! :wink:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote:On Monday I saw another good Bob Hope comedy, produced by Samuel Goldwyn and released by RKO Radio: "They Got Me Covered" (1942), in which he plays an inept WWII Correspondent looking for an exclusive -who has won the Pulitzer prize in the near past due to the help of a mysterious man who sells political information- :wink: Hope's character is quite unnerving most of the time, but at the same time he succeeds at making the audience laugh at his stupidity. Dot Lamour is his girlfriend and fellow co-worker at the newspaper and makes a very fine couple with him. I must say I like Bob and Dot alone together, much more than with Bing inn the "Road" pictures. Lenore Aubert plays a sexy spy who lures Hope.
I love this film feaito! :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

I am glad Kingme :)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Why do u love this film, King Me?

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CineMaven wrote:Why do u love this film, King Me?
Because this is a classic Hope Movie ... and I'm always been a Bob Hope Fan ... it has everything ... romance, drama, slap kick comedy, craziness, and everything under the "sun". And, I like the chemistry of Aubert and Hope together just as well as Dot and Hope ... that made Bob a Comedic Superstar that he is. What feaito wrote earlier ... jarred my memory bank and that is why I responded it in a positive way!

I wanted to see more of Aubert and Hope ... and this was the only film that I saw of them together.

I haven't seen this movie in years ... CineMaven ... but, I hope I do in the near future!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx for the detailed substantive answer, Kingme.

feaito

Post by feaito »

Lenore Aubert was quite a dish; she also has talent, personality, allure, but she did not become a star.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]feaito[/u] wrote:Lenore Aubert was quite a dish; she also has talent, personality, allure, but she did not become a star.
Hmmmm, someone who has everything...except that undefinable "IT" that puts them over the edge in audience's hearts and minds. So many had everything but.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I must say I like Bob and Dot alone together, much more than with Bing inn the "Road" pictures

So do I. The Road pics are OK. They're funny. Musical. But so Hollywood. My favorite Hope comedies came in the late 1930's and 40's. NEVER SAY DIE, MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE, CAUGHT IN THE DRAFT. I also like THEY GOT ME COVERED.

The parts with he and "Mary Todd" were good, quiet...serious, not camped up.

I do concede that about about the Lincoln film, Theresa. The young lady who played Mary was charming and lovely. And those brief moments were blissfully without exploding arteries or dizzying visuals. But this Benjamin Walker looks more like Lord Byron than the lanky, marfanoid Lincoln. His acting didn't impress me. Neither, as I have mentioned, did the script. I'll take SON OF DRACULA anytime!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF]CineMaven[/color][/u] wrote:The parts with he and "Mary Todd" were good, quiet...serious, not camped up.
[u][color=#800000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:I do concede that about about the Lincoln film, Theresa. The young lady who played Mary was charming and lovely. And those brief moments were blissfully without exploding arteries or dizzying visuals. But this Benjamin Walker looks more like Lord Byron than the lanky, marfanoid Lincoln. His acting didn't impress me. Neither, as I have mentioned, did the script.
[u][color=#4000BF]CineMaven[/color][/u] wrote:I hear ya, Red. Exploding arteries in a movie about vampires. What were they thinking?
[u][color=#800000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:I'll take SON OF DRACULA anytime!
[u][color=#4000BF]CineMaven[/color][/u] wrote:...And "I'LL TAKE SWEDEN" yah yah yah.

feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I saw the handsome, exotic production "Lady of the Tropics" (1939) with gorgeous Hedy Lamarr as a highly improbable "half-caste" (she's named as such in the picture) of French father and Vietnamese mother, who gets to wear the most incredible, elegant and sophisticated outfits designed by Adrian. Bob Taylor portrays a playboy who falls in love with this amazing creature in Saigon, Indochine. The plot is reminiscent of the story of the Opera "Manon Lescaut" -and Hedy's character is named Manon- which is also shown within the film. Joseph Schildkraut plays a powerful and rich half-caste who is obsessed with Lamarr. The Code imposes punishment upon "sinner" Lamarr **spoilers** because she cheats on her husband, she manipulates situations and lies, although with an air of innocence. Interesting film with high production values, but with rather uneven performances.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I didn't know there was such a movie. Cute song. I'll say that!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I liked it. (Lina Lamont voice)

It was way better than I expected and Peter Noone was actually pretty good at acting.