Noir Alley

Andree

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

I am going to try through sheer will power and maybe even a dash of self-hypnosis to persuade myself that I will
actually miss Eddie during the month of August. :lol: :lol: :smiley_oneglass:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Andree wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 4:27 pm I am going to try through sheer will power and maybe even a dash of self-hypnosis to persuade myself that I will
actually miss Eddie during the month of August. :lol: :lol: :smiley_oneglass:
You are sleeping with one eye open, right?
Meanwhile, "Drink in the darkness."
Hope I'm quoting Eddie properly. :smiley_cocktail:
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Andree

Post by Andree »

jimimac71 wrote: August 5th, 2023, 3:30 pm

You are sleeping with one eye open, right?
Meanwhile, "Drink in the darkness."
Hope I'm quoting Eddie properly. :smiley_cocktail:
No, that would keep me awake at night and I don't have to worry about anyone going out to
have a look see, but I do try to stay, at least sometime, in the shadows. I've watched a couple
of flicks on YT that are just as good as some of the movies Eddie has shown lately. They're
probably more crime films than pure noir, but they're still pretty good--Outside the Wall
starring Richard Basehart and Tight Spot starring Ginger Rogers.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Fans of Noir Alley might be interested in an interview with Eddie Muller that was released this week as part of the Lions, Towers, and Shields classic cinema podcast. The interview is primarily intended to promote Eddie’s recent “Noir Bar” book which matches Noir films with cocktail recipes. In addition, Eddie also briefly discusses recent events at TCM.

The podcast audio file with Eddie’s interview is available at:

https://www.theincomparable.com/lts/79/
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

I'm reading the above biography of Charles MacGraw. It is as much about filmmaking and noir as it is about MacGraw. Very enjoyable.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

What is Eddie's first film after SUTS? Anyone know?
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Looking at the early October guide:
12:15 AM Deception (1946)
A woman tries to protect her refugee husband from her rich and powerful ex-lover.
Dir: Irving Rapper Cast: Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains
Runtime: 110 mins Genre: Drama Rating: TV-PG CC: Y
12:15 Midnight October 7/10 AM Sunday October 8.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Let’s not forget about September. :)
(We don’t want to miss Labor Day weekend.)

Eddie returns a week from Saturday late on the evening of September 2 at midnight with the Claudette Colbert / Robert Ryan film The Secret Fury (1950).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042935/

Plus a Noir Alley rerun at 10 AM on the 3rd and another showing (without Eddie) as part of a Claudette Colbert birthday tribute at 12:45 PM on the 13th.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

DOH!
Sorry!
Oh the days dwindle down, to a previous few ... September!
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: August 25th, 2023, 7:38 pm I'm looking forward to seeing The Secret Fury again. Mel Ferrer does a pretty good job of directing. One scene is more violent than you might expect in a film from this era. Vivian Vance has an important supporting role, and Jane Cowl, a famous Broadway actress of earlier years, has an even larger role.

To me, the weakness of the film is that Claudette Colbert and Robert Ryan have little romantic chemistry. They did not particularly like each other in real life and had different political views. Still, this is much better than the likes of Shockproof. It's a good choice to get us back to Noir Alley.
The Secret Fury also features Dave Barbour, jazz guitar playing husband of Peggy Lee.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: August 24th, 2023, 4:34 pm Let’s not forget about September. :)
(We don’t want to miss Labor Day weekend.)

Eddie returns a week from Saturday late on the evening of September 2 at midnight with the Claudette Colbert / Robert Ryan film The Secret Fury (1950).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042935/

Plus a Noir Alley rerun at 10 AM on the 3rd and another showing (without Eddie) as part of a Claudette Colbert birthday tribute at 12:45 PM on the 13th.

Thanks! I've seen this but it was a long time ago. A pretty good Gaslight type noir.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 25th, 2023, 8:35 pm
kingrat wrote: August 25th, 2023, 7:38 pm I'm looking forward to seeing The Secret Fury again. Mel Ferrer does a pretty good job of directing. One scene is more violent than you might expect in a film from this era. Vivian Vance has an important supporting role, and Jane Cowl, a famous Broadway actress of earlier years, has an even larger role.

To me, the weakness of the film is that Claudette Colbert and Robert Ryan have little romantic chemistry. They did not particularly like each other in real life and had different political views. Still, this is much better than the likes of Shockproof. It's a good choice to get us back to Noir Alley.
The Secret Fury also features Dave Barbour, jazz guitar playing husband of Peggy Lee.
Isn't Vivian Vance also in the film???
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: August 28th, 2023, 11:07 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 25th, 2023, 8:35 pm

Isn't Vivian Vance also in the film???
Yes, along with her husband at the time, Philip Ober.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

My last post seems to have disappeared! I seem to remember VIv in a slip in one scene. Her character was very unlike ETHEL!