The Unjustly Neglected

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Unjustly Neglected

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Herbert Lom is overlooked a lot as an actor! He was always cast as gangsters, but seemed rather too expressive to be cast that way all the time. He was able to convey something different inside each one. I like him in Night and the City as well as The LadyKillers. He was the original KIng in the London version of The King and I, which seems like inspired casting. He also wrote two historical novels. A good looking man whom I fear will always be remembered in the U.S. anyway, as Chief Inspector Dreyfus, with no nose.
I just realized that you and Alison had both mentioned admiring the versatile Herbert Lom. Ever since seeing him as the shrink trying to keep from falling in love with his patient Ann Todd in The Seventh Veil, I've enjoyed him whenever he pops up in a movie, though I don't find The Pink Panther movies very funny (sorry).

I recently discovered that a 1960s program called The Human Jungle on British television featured Lom as a psychiatrist again, which he enjoyed according to his comments later. It also employed some good British actors, including Roger Livesey, Rita Tushingham, Flora Robson, and Margaret Lockwood, among others. The show also had an innovative jazz theme that is apparently still played by musicians. Many of the episodes of this series are on youtube and can be seen in their entirety there (the video quality is not great but the stories are engrossing). Enjoy!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you, I love Herbert Lom, even though I'm not keen on the Pink Panther movies either.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the series, I can't wait to see some of the episodes.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wen,
Is your new avatar Joseph Calleia?

Alison,
I thought I was alone in not finding The Pink Panther movies killingly funny.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira, add me to that short list of those who don't find the Pink Panther movies funny. (Well, the nudist camp :shock: :shock: episode is funny, but other than that....)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, my new avatar is Joseph CalleiaImage, I think from the movie Wyoming.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like it, Wendy! Very rugged. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think so too. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey,Moira... your avatar killed my avatar...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Hey,Moira... your avatar killed my avatar...
What a revoltin' development that would be! I think your new avatar is very elegant. My new boy would never hurt a hair on Joe's sleek head. Besides, he's too busy typing.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

And I thought I was the only one who didn't find the Panther movies funny too. It just shows, great minds think alike :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bill does look remarkably sweet in that picture...what is it from? I can't think of another actor who could play as lovable as William Bendix, and then turn around and break someone's arms for kicks in his very next picture. :D

[youtube][/youtube]

"You talk to much with your mouth, Jeff."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Bill does look remarkably sweet in that picture...what is it from?
I think it is from A Bell for Adano (1945) in which Bendix plays John Hodiak's down-to-earth side kick in emancipated Italy.
JackFavell wrote:I can't think of another actor who could play as lovable as William Bendix, and then turn around and break someone's arms for kicks in his very next picture. :D
Oh, Bill is horrible in The Glass Key and in The Dark Corner, in which he had the most rumpled white suit I've ever seen. Come to think of it, he always looked rumpled--even when dressed up.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

But then he's SOOO incredibly wonderful in Lifeboat, among others. I cried for a week after I saw it the first time.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Dear JF, CCFan, Moira, and rest of SSO:

William Bendix is a favorite of mine too. His role as Babe Ruth in the Babe Ruth Story was legendary. To me, he is one of the best character actors around and I find him a REAL JOY to watch ... a REAL JOY to watch because his speaks to me. He is so wonderfully expressive. I wanted thank both JF and Moria to reminding me how good he's really is. Moira great avatar too! Bendix's face is unforgettable Moira! Unforgettable!

I love all your avatars ... Every Time ... I see Allison's its reminded me of the fun I had watching Gold Rush ... Moira's avatar reminded me of Bendix's wonderful performance as Babe Ruth. I also enjoyed reading more comments about Hebert Lom. He is another favorite of mine. This subject matter stirs my good memories growing up watching movies. I watched a lot of Bendix and Lom growing up.

I also wanted to say thank you JF for your comments about my avatar in the Rita Hayworth's thread. The reason that I changed it to that ... the background colors, Rita reading to Rebecca, and her magnificent red hair. It's also one of my favorites too! I love yours too! Really do.