Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by moira finnie »

This morning, a family spokesman representing the children of Eddie Fisher issued a statement that said "Late last evening the world lost a true America icon. One of the greatest voices of the century passed away. He was an extraordinary talent and a true mensch." Clearly, his children appear to have loved him, as well as those who enjoyed his music.

In his 1999 autobiography, Eddie Fisher characterized his voice as a “golden sound,” that enabled him to rocket “from the streets of Philadelphia to the White House. Harry Truman loved me. Ike loved me.” To many of us, this is one more piece of evidence that the past is another country, with more than musical tastes that seemed different. Though he sold 32 hit records in the '50s, the death of Eddie Fisher at 82 within the last 24 hours brought forth headlines from all over brimming with breathless accounts of his scandalous past, rather than his singing. Married five times in total, his former wives included Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor, Connie Stevens and two show biz "civilians," Terry Richard and Betty Lin. His four children include Carrie and Todd Fisher (by Reynolds) and Joely and Tricia Leigh Fisher (by Stevens), all of whom have had some experience in show biz too.

Above: Eddie Fisher is accompanied by Mike Todd Jr. (L), and UPI Hollywood reporter Vernon Scott as the singer arrives at the county court in Las Vegas on May 12, 1959, to obtain a divorce from Debbie Reynolds. After the divorce, Fisher wed actress Elizabeth Taylor at Temple Beth Shalom in Vegas. Ms. Reynolds told him that Taylor would shed him within 18 months. She was right. (UPI Photo)

The full obituary for Mr. Fisher can be seen here at The New York Times.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I share your sentiments Larry regarding Mr. Fisher.
I recall his golden voice from the 1950s. I still have many of his 45s which I play on my jukebox every so often, especially "Oh! My Pa-Pa" and "Anytime".
May the CocaCola kid rest in peace.
Joseph Goodheart
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Another example of why a slightly tarnished personal life should not govern a talent. I too, recall his beautiful singing voice and dancing to some of his songs. I often let a personal vision obstruct my opinion of talent, but I do always give myself the opportunity to see further work and possibly change my thoughts. Eddie was a weak man, but that doesn't mean bad. I only hope Carrie was able to come to some terms with him before his death so she will not have that bad memory in her head and on her heart for the rest of her life. R.I.P. Eddie.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Gloria Stuart has died, age 100 with her life spanning a century, she went from a WAMPAS Baby Star in '32 to the The Invisible Man (1933) to a Best Supporting Actress Nomination for Titanic (1997). In her spare time, she was also an artist and bibliophile. An envelope pusher, a globe trotter, a good actress, and a woman with a curious nature, Ms. Stuart always kept learning.

Here is her obit from The New York Times
September 27, 2010
Gloria Stuart, Actress, Dies at 100
By ALJEAN HARMETZ and ROBERT BERKVIST

Gloria Stuart, a glamorous blond actress in Hollywood’s golden age who was largely forgotten until she made a memorable comeback in her 80s in “Titanic,” died on Sunday at her home in West Los Angeles. She was 100.

Her daughter, Sylvia Vaughn Thompson, confirmed the death.

Ms. Stuart received her only Academy Award nomination, for best supporting actress, for her performance in James Cameron’s “Titanic” as Rose Calvert, a 101-year-old survivor of the ship’s sinking. The oldest person ever nominated for an acting Oscar, she lost to Kim Basinger. Kate Winslet, who was nominated for best actress, played Rose as a young, well-to-do, romantically restless passenger in first class who falls in love with a poor would-be artist in steerage, played by Leonardo DiCaprio.

The movie, which won 11 Oscars in 1997, was the top-grossing film of all time until it was overtaken by “Avatar,” also directed by Mr. Cameron, in 2009.

When Ms. Stuart was rediscovered by Mr. Cameron and cast as Rose, she was 86 and had long since given up on Hollywood. From 1932 to 1946 she made 46 films, but she abandoned her screen career after growing tired of being typecast as “girl reporter, girl detective, girl overboard,” Ms. Stuart told The Chicago Tribune in 1997.

“So one day, I burned everything: my scripts, my stills, everything. I made a wonderful fire in the incinerator, and it was very liberating.”

In the best of her early movies, Ms. Stuart, a petite and elegant presence, was forced to seek shelter with Boris Karloff in James Whale’s classic horror film “The Old Dark House” (1932) and was horrified when Claude Rains, her mad-scientist fiancé, tampered with nature in “The Invisible Man” (1933), also directed by Whale.

She was James Cagney’s girlfriend in “Here Comes the Navy” (1934), Warner Baxter’s faithful wife in John Ford’s “Prisoner of Shark Island” (1936), Shirley Temple’s cousin in “Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm” (1938) and the spoiled rich girl who falls in love with penniless Dick Powell in “Gold Diggers of 1935.”

“Few actresses were so ornamental,” John Springer and Jack Hamilton wrote in “They Had Faces Then,” a book about the actresses of the 1930s. “But ‘undemanding’ is the word for most of the roles she played.”

After a small role in the limp 1946 comedy “She Wrote the Book,” Ms. Stuart had had enough and left the film world, not to be seen again until she appeared in a television movie 29 years later.

Although Screen Play magazine had called Ms. Stuart one of the 10 most beautiful women in Hollywood, she was more than a pretty face. She was a founding member of the Screen Actors Guild and helped found the Hollywood Anti-Nazi League, an early antifascist organization.

After she left Hollywood, Ms. Stuart taught herself to paint. In 1961 she had her first one-woman show, at Hammer Galleries in New York.

In 1983 the master printer Ward Ritchie taught her to print, and she started a fresh career as a respected designer of hand-printed artists’ books and broadsides. She produced illustrated books and broadsides under her own imprint, Imprenta Glorias, including “Haiku,” “Beware the Ides of March” and “The Watts Towers.”

Ms. Stuart and Mr. Ritchie also began an autumn romance that lasted until Mr. Ritchie’s death in 1996 at the age of 91. Her print work is in the collections of the Getty Museum in Los Angeles and the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

Gloria Frances Stewart was born in Santa Monica, Calif., on July 4, 1910, two years before the Titanic sank. When she started in movies, Ms. Stuart wrote in her autobiography, “I Just Kept Hoping” (Little Brown, 1999) , a collaboration with her daughter, she shortened “Stewart” to “Stuart” “because I thought — and still do — its six letters balanced perfectly on a theater’s marquee with the six letters in ‘Gloria.’ ”

She attended the University of California, Berkeley, where she met her first husband, the sculptor Gordon Newell. Settling in Carmel, Calif., in 1930, she and Mr. Newell joined a bohemian community that included the photographer Edward Weston and the journalist Lincoln Steffens. Ms. Stuart acted at the Golden Bough Theater and wrote for a weekly newspaper.

In 1932 Mr. Ritchie, Mr. Newell’s best friend, drove Ms. Stuart to Pasadena, where she had been offered a role at the prestigious Pasadena Playhouse. “The morning after I opened in Chekhov’s ‘The Sea Gull,’ ” Ms. Stuart remembered, “I signed a seven-year contract with Universal.”

Soon came movies like “The Girl in 419” (1933), in which she played a mysterious woman who witnesses a murder. Her social circle included Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley and other New York intellectuals who had settled at the Garden of Allah hotel while writing and acting in movies. A gourmet cook whose oxtail stew with dumplings was praised by M. F. K. Fisher in her book “The Gastronomical Me,” Ms. Stuart liked to cook Sunday dinners for them.

Ms. Stuart and Mr. Newell divorced in 1934; later that year she married Arthur Sheekman, a screenwriter who worked on Marx Brothers movies.

After Ms. Stuart gave up on Hollywood, the Sheekmans sailed around the world and settled in New York. She had a daughter with Mr. Sheekman and later moved to Italy with them and started to paint. Mr. Sheekman died in 1978.

Besides her daughter, Ms. Thompson, Ms. Stuart is survived by four grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

Ms. Stuart made brief returns to film and television acting in the 1970s and had a cameo role in the 1982 film “My Favorite Year,” in which she danced with Peter O’Toole, who starred as a worn-at-the-edges film idol.

But it was “Titanic,” 15 years later, that made Ms. Stuart a celebrity again. She was nominated for a Golden Globe, interviewed on television, invited to Russia for the opening of the movie there and chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world. Her newfound fame resulted in more film and television work into her 90s.

If she had been more famous as an actress, Ms. Stuart would never have won the role of Rose Calvert, the survivor whose memories of her love affair aboard the ship form the frame of “Titanic.” Mr. Cameron wanted a lesser-known actress for the part, one who, as Ms. Stuart said in a 1997 interview, was “still viable, not alcoholic, rheumatic or falling down.”

Ms. Stuart was so viable that it took an hour and a half each day to transform her youthful 86-year-old features into the face of a 101-year-old woman.

When the script of “Titanic” was sent to her, Ms. Stuart told The Chicago Tribune, she thought, “If I had been given plum roles like this back in the old days, I would have stayed in Hollywood.”

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

A LEGEND PASSES:

Say Goodbye to Mr. AFL !!!

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)

George Blanda, who played longer than anyone in pro football history and racked up the most points in a career that spanned four decades, mostly with the Chicago Bears and Oakland Raiders, died Monday. He was 83.

TRUE IRONMAN
Playing 26 seasons in the NFL is unheard of. Now imagine playing two positions. We take a look back at the late George Blanda's long career.
''We are deeply saddened by the passing of the great George Blanda,'' the Raiders said Monday in confirming his death. ''George was a brave Raider and a close personal friend of Raiders owner Al Davis.'' The Pro Football Hall of Fame said on its website that Blanda died Monday after a brief illness.

Blanda retired a month shy of his 49th birthday before the 1976 season. He spent 10 seasons with the Bears, part of one with the Baltimore Colts, seven with the Houston Oilers and his final nine with the Raiders.

He held the pro scoring record when he retired, with 2,002 points. He kicked 335 field goals and 943 extra points, running for nine touchdowns and throwing for 236 more.

He also threw for 26,920 yards in his career and held the pro football record with 277 interceptions until Brett Favre passed him in 2007. His points record stood until it was topped by several players in recent years.

''It certainly doesn't bother me,'' Blanda said about losing the scoring record. ''The one record I was happy to get rid of was the one for the most interceptions, when Brett Favre got that one.''

It was a five-game stretch for Oakland in 1970 that is the lasting imprint of his career. As a 43-year-old, Blanda led the Raiders to four wins and one tie with late touchdown passes or field goals.

Later that season, he became the oldest quarterback to play in a championship game, throwing two touchdown passes and kicking a field goal in Oakland's 27-17 loss to Baltimore in the AFC title game. His performance that season earned him The Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year.

Blanda joined the Oilers of the new American Football League in 1960 and played 16 seasons before hanging it up for good following the 1975 campaign. He led the Oilers to the first two AFL titles, beating the Chargers for the championship following the 1960 and '61 seasons.

He nearly won a third straight title when he led the Oilers back from a 17-0 halftime deficit to the Dallas Texans in the 1962 title game before losing in double overtime.

''George Blanda will always be remembered as a legend of our game,'' NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement, ''including his amazing career longevity of 26 seasons in four different decades. George's multi-talented flair for the dramatic highlighted the excitement of pro football during an important period of growth for our sport.''

Blanda began his memorable run in 1970 by throwing three touchdown passes in place of an injured Daryle Lamonica in a 31-14 win over Pittsburgh on Oct. 25. The following week he kicked a 48-yard field goal in the final seconds to give the Raiders a 17-17 tie against Kansas City.

Blanda was just getting started. He threw a tying touchdown pass with 1:34 remaining and then kicked the game-winning 52-yard field goal in the final seconds the following week in a 23-20 win over Cleveland.

He followed that with a 20-yard TD pass to Fred Biletnikoff in place of Lamonica in a 24-19 victory over Denver the next week, then kicked a 16-yard field goal in the closing seconds to beat San Diego 20-17 on Nov. 22.

''The game that I remember the most was playing against Cleveland in 1970,'' he once said. ''We were down 20-13 and I came in and we got a touchdown and then we got a field goal in the last three seconds.''

Blanda entered the NFL out of Kentucky as a 12th-round pick (119th overall) of the Chicago Bears in 1949. He spent most of the next decade with the Bears, leaving to play one game for the Colts in 1950. After winning the Bears starting job in 1953, Blanda promptly lost it the following season because of injury. His playing time at quarterback quickly diminished and he retired in 1959 at age 31 when Chicago planned to make him a full-time kicker. It was a short-lived break because he then joined the AFL's Oilers the next season.

Blanda was one of the new league's many prolific passers, throwing for 19,149 yards and 165 touchdowns in seven seasons for the Oilers. He was the AFL Player of the Year in 1961, holds AFL single-game passing record of 464 yards on Oct. 29, 1961, against Buffalo, and was chosen the league's all-time kicker.

''We did all the strategy right on the field,'' he once said. ''Today, the coaches call all the plays, so all the quarterbacks have to do is perform. They are more or less programmed.''

Oilers owner Bud Adams said Blanda's flair was a reason the AFL attracted so much attention.

''He was the perfect fit for the start of the AFL, joining our league from the NFL and displaying the ability to lead a high flying offense,'' Adams said in a statement. ''His play garnered our league a lot of attention and fans. We had a celebration last year in Houston for the 1960 and 1961 AFL championship seasons and the team hall of fame members and it was great to have George join us and remember fondly those early years.''

In 1967, the Oilers thought Blanda was at the end of his career, but the Raiders picked him up as a backup quarterback and kicker and he lasted nine more seasons.

''A seemingly ageless wonder, George inspired legions of fans over a 26-year career, with his clutch performances as a quarterback and place kicker. He will be truly missed,'' said Steve Perry, executive director of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Last month I was in Minneapolis watching a game in a bar and the guy next to me starts yapping about Favre and how great he is even though he's old (if you know what I mean).

Oh, yeah?, sez I. Let's see him kick like George Blanda.

Who's he? Never heard of him.

I left the bar.

He's still in 5th place for all-time Bears scoring. And more importantly, he was never a Cheesehead or Bratbreath Packer.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

P.S. Da Bears won it for you, George.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Up at the bar in heaven, my dad is buying one of his heroes, George Blanda, whatever he wants to drink.

I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to that conversation.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

George deserved it, but I'm not sure Lovie did.
I sobbed a little goin' to bed last night, as my customized Lucky Shirt had failed, but the hard truth was that we had beat ourselves with a near-league-record eleven penalties.
Sheboygen! :x :x :x
With that crap goin' on, the 49ers could beat us! :evil:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Gloria Stuart has died, age 100 with her life spanning a century, she went from a WAMPAS Baby Star in '32 to the The Invisible Man (1933) to a Best Supporting Actress Nomination for Titanic (1997). In her spare time, she was also an artist and bibliophile. An envelope pusher, a globe trotter, a good actress, and a woman with a curious nature, Ms. Stuart always kept learning.
And what a lovely life she had. RIP, Ms. Stuart.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I liked Gloria Stuart in "The Old Dark House" very much. My wife, however, found her performance in "The Prisoner of Shark Island" to be a bit over the top. Still, it is great that she lived so long and could be in "Titanic."
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

The photos of Gloria Stuart, when she was young and a star, prove that she was indeed "Quite a dish" as she exclaimed in the movie "Titanic"...

Brava Gloria!!

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Director Arthur Penn has passed away. He was 88 years old.

The stage, film and TV director was a three-time Oscar nominee who won a Tony for 'The Miracle Worker.' His role in shaping the graphic violence in 1967's 'Bonnie and Clyde' helped usher in a new era in American filmmaking.

Arthur Penn, the three-time Oscar-nominated director best known for "Bonnie and Clyde," the landmark 1967 film that stirred critical passions over its graphic violence and became a harbinger of a new era of American filmmaking, died Tuesday, a day after he turned 88.

Penn died of congestive heart failure at his New York City home, said his daughter, Molly.

A veteran of directing live television dramas in the 1950s, Penn made his film directorial debut with "The Left Handed Gun,"a 1958 revisionist western starring Paul Newman as Billy the Kid.

Further reading at:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 3066.story
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I just heard on the news that Tony Curtis has died. :( I always enjoyed his bubbling personality.

The little guy from Brooklyn co-wrote a very interesting book of memoirs with Barry Paris. I was impressed by his assessements of his own films. RIP
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you so much for posting that handsome picture of Tony Curtis along with this sad news, AH.

If others would like to read comprehensive obituaries reflection on this actor's life and work, there are several links to some below. I was happy to see that the New York Times posted their notice written by Dave Kehr, on the front page. He was a hard-working and often exceptionally good actor, who gave millions enjoyment. One thing that I admire about him was that he was also someone who was always trying to be better. When the inevitable change to the TCM schedule that will be made to compose a fitting tribute to him is available, I hope that one of us posts it.:

"Tony Curtis, Hollywood Icon" from the NY Times

Tony Curtis on the LA Times

Tony Curtis on The Guardian

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks