Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's a dreary day here in NYC - dark and rainy. However, so far no construction cranes have fallen down this week, so I suppose that's something to be thankful for. Really -- they are all over the place, like storks on Dutch chimneys. And it's been so very and unusually windy these past few months - those things really scare me and it's hard not to walk under or next to one anywhere in midtown Manhattan.

In any event, I see a new Mystery Guest walking up to the mike.

Do you know me?

I made over 100 movies, and in many of them I played a detective of one sort of another. Perhaps I am the only such actor who can say that I actually was a private investigator in real life before I became an actor.

My New York family used to vacation at a popular spa that also had a racetrack, and I used to help out the bookmakers when I was a child. I was touted as the world's youngest bookie. In addition, on my summer vacations from school I often worked as an extra at a local movie studio. I worked my way up to slightly larger parts, and worked at many of the New York City movie studios, both in silents and then in sound.

When I went to Hollywood, most of my roles were either as heavies or as lovable lugs. I worked steadily, sometimes starring in B movies, and as a supporting player in As. I struck up a friendship with a distinguished British actor, who was instrumental in getting me several good parts. In fact, he lobbied hard to get me a really good role in a film in which he was cast as the lead, and I did test for it. Unfortunately, it was decided that the man who had played the part on Broadway (opposite the British actor) should get the part in the movie. He went on to stardom, but it took him a few more years to get there. I had no hard feelings, though; I named my son after my British friend.

I worked with another famous British star, one known for his sterling dramatic work, and his scene stealing. However, I was the only actor from that movie to be nominated for an Oscar. I did several years on radio as a private eye. Then I played another PI for a few seasons on a very early TV series. A second version of the series followed immediately after my stint, and the PI was played by one of my fellow Irish-Americans. I wasn't left out, though -- I produced it this time around.

My career was a long one, but not as long as it could have been. I became ill and as a result of my illness I was no longer able to perform as I had before. I spent the rest of my life as a spokesperson for an organization that helped people like me, but I had to do it in a slightly different way than others might.

Who am I?
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

A wild stab just from the TV detective series clue: Roscoe Karns?

Re:M*A*S*H, I would agree that they wore the bad hair for that reason in the movie version (still wouldn't fly with the Army!), but I'd argue that the TV show was just out of vanity and laziness. The gung ho series "Baa Baa Black Sheep" was similar, with a couple of characters having passable Marine haircuts, while the majority were non-reg. Remember the outrageous skin-tight jump suits the nurses wore in that one?! Yikes!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I was about to type Humphrey Bogart but he named his daughter after Leslie Howard not his son. Hmmm.....I'll have to ponder a little more.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Mr. O'Brady wrote:A wild stab just from the TV detective series clue: Roscoe Karns?

Re:M*A*S*H, I would agree that they wore the bad hair for that reason in the movie version (still wouldn't fly with the Army!), but I'd argue that the TV show was just out of vanity and laziness. The gung ho series "Baa Baa Black Sheep" was similar, with a couple of characters having passable Marine haircuts, while the majority were non-reg. Remember the outrageous skin-tight jump suits the nurses wore in that one?! Yikes!
True, of course. Authenticity on TV rarely happens because it's too expensive. How about hairspray, false eyelashes and lipstick in the Old West? That never fails to amuse.

But - Roscoe Kearns isn't the guy. Our MG was a little bit bigger a star than that, but never as big as Bogart. CCFan is on the right track, though, at least in terms of namesakes.

Our MG co-starred with a Really Big Star before she was too Really Big, and they both needed frequent clothing changes between takes.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Nothing yet? Try this:

Our MG was a member of Hollywood's "Irish Mafia."

His serious illness robbed him of a basic human function, one he would need in order to continue working as an actor. As a result, he was unable to perform, but did work tirelessly as an advocate for those similarly afflicted. A very popular actor living today had a similar problem, but has been able to continue to work on a limited basis, thanks to advances in medicine which our MG helped to put into place.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Frank McHugh?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

knitwit45 wrote:Frank McHugh?
Uh-uh. Think now, people.

What classic Hollywood actor's career was ended by a serious illness which required life-altering surgery? He lived on for 20 years, but was unable to act again because of what the surgery did to him. He devoted the rest of his life to working to raise funds for medical research on the condition. Another well-known and popular stage, movie and TV actor had the same surgery, but was able to continue working due to the advances in medicine spearheaded by our MG. This actor also does public service TV spots about it.

Big hint: something was removed, but not a limb.
melwalton

mystery

Post by melwalton »

Tough one, Judy. You've been thinking again. I guessed it was a singer who lost his voice box but I couldn't get any further. Phil Regan is too young, John Boles isn't from NYC.
Like the woman said, when applying for a job and told they wanted someone younger, 'I'll work on it'. .... mel
jdb1

Re: mystery

Post by jdb1 »

melwalton wrote:Tough one, Judy. You've been thinking again. I guessed it was a singer who lost his voice box but I couldn't get any further. Phil Regan is too young, John Boles isn't from NYC.
Like the woman said, when applying for a job and told they wanted someone younger, 'I'll work on it'. .... mel
You're hot on the trail, Mel. You have the affliction right. However, our MG was not a singer. Keep closing in; you're almost there.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I know the second man is Jack Klugman, would the MG be Lynn Overman?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

knitwit45 wrote:I know the second man is Jack Klugman, would the MG be Lynn Overman?
Jack Klugman is the contemporary actor I'm referring to, but Lynn Overman isn't the classic actor MG. You are all so close. How can I get you there? Hmmmm . . . . .

Our MG, playing his usual burly Irish-American, appeared in a film in the early 30s that its star didn't like and subsequently disavowed, but most of her fans tend to disagree with her.

Another big hint: Our MG was replaced in his early TV venture by Lloyd Nolan.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm so sorry that no one can identify our MG -- he was a popular, if minor, actor, and his charitable works were very well known in his time, although they seem to have been forgotten now. Here are some more clues:

His Oscar-nominated performance was as a co-star of Charles Laughton (who didn't get a nomination).

He was in one of Shirley Temple's "grown up" movies.

He was in an early talkie with one of Hollywood's biggest female stars. The weather gave the film its title.

He played Ellery Queen in two movies.

He was in a Philip Barry play on Broadway, and recreated the role in an early talkie.

He came from Brooklyn.

As they used to tell workers at IBM: Think!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Well, if you're going to give it away: William Gargan
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ChiO wrote:Well, if you're going to give it away: William Gargan
Phew. I thought you'd never get it. Gargan is the man.

His fight with cancer was well known in his day, and he lost his larynx to the disease in the early 1960s and had to learn to speak in a different way. He taught others this technique at the American Cancer Society, and was an active spokesman for research into oral and throat cancer. He made several public service spots for the ACA's anti-smoking campaign.

Gargan was a close friend of actor Lesie Howard, who tried hard to get Gargan the role of Duke Mantee in Petrified Forest. In the end, the producers went with the actor who had played the part on Broadway with Howard, Humphrey Bogart. Both Bogart and Gargan named children after Howard - in Gargan's case, a son, who is called Leslie Howard Gargan.

Gargan was in Philip Barry's Animal Kingdom on Broadway, and recreated the role in the film. He also co-starred with Joan Crawford in Rain, but didn't like the experience much. He was critical of Crawford's performance, criticism that she took to heart; she always said she hated her performance in the movie. Gargan got a supporting actor nomination for They Knew What They Wanted, playing opposite Charles Laughton and Carole Lombard.

Gargan had extensive acting experience from the time he was a child and worked in silents at the old Vitagraph Studio in Brooklyn. As a young man, he worked for a private detective agency, but decided he liked the stage and movies better. Gargan did a popular radio series called Barry Craig, Private Detective. He starred in the very early TV detective series Martin Kane, Private Eye for two years, beginning in 1949. The next two years of the series were produced by Gargan, and starred Lloyd Nolan as Kane. The series was revived later in the 1950s as The New Adventures of Martin Kane with Gargan again starring.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The weatherman is predicting a very hot and sticky weekend, with temperatures in the 90s. Welcome to New York in the Summer. While we are trying to stay cool, let's contemplate a new Mystery Guest:

Do you know me?

When I was cut from my high school basketball team, I wanted an extracurricular activity, so I joined the drama club. I liked it so much, I made it my career. Thanks to my deep and resonant voice, I got a job as a radio staff announcer in my Pacific Northwest home town, and then got a job on a serial drama that was produced in San Francisco. When that production moved to Hollywood, I went with it. I got more radio work, and starred for a while as a famous detective.

I got a studio contract. My first movies were made for a well-known director. Both he and I had blacklist troubles, but his were worse, and he left the country for good. During the filming of my first movie, I became involved with my glamorous co-star, who went on to become a major star. I married another actress, who already had a significant career, and we worked together frequently.

My second movie with the director mentioned above was a very successful one, and was filmed entirely on location, unusual for the time. It is still popular today, and even spawned a TV series, although I wasn't in that.

I went on to do a great deal of television work. I've had starring roles and regular supporting roles in several TV series. I had regular roles in two nighttime soaps. I have also appeared on TV many times with my wife, and we once had our own show together. She was also involved in production, and worked behind the scenes in one of my series.

Who am I?