Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
feaito

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by feaito »

Did anyone record today: "The flirting Widow" (1930), "The Lady of Scandal" (1930), "A Feather in her Hat" (1935) and/ or "Confession" (1937)?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm afraid I didn't Feaito.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

mrsl wrote:.
The Women has me so hooked that even though I have my own copy on DVD which I watch every now and then, I still watch it whenever TCM runs it. I don't think I will ever get tired of that movie or any of it's actors. The only thing that might turn me off s Virginia Weidler's ' oh Mother dear , please do something '. Except for cell phones, that movie could be transferred directly to today, but that scene of that child is so phony it makes me want to shoot her. The idea of no men on screen was absolutely brilliant. That alone adds something so special to the film. There never was anything quite like it before.[/b]
I enjoy "The Women" very much too, and mute Virginia Weidler's closet scene. But as for: "that movie could be transferred directly to today..." Meg Ryan and Annette Bening did do a re-make of "The Women" that was abominable. Yuk!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for replying Theresa.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm REALLY excited about Ellen Barkin's choices tonight on TCM (Monday, June18, 2012)!

First up is a movie I've been wanting to see forever, FAT CITY, starring Jeff Bridges, Stacy Keach and Susan Tyrell: directed by John Huston. This one is a POSITIVELY DO NOT MISS! I believe some SSO members will be pretty happy to see this one in the lineup.

After that is NIGHTS OF CABIRIA, which I also haven't seen yet, and am really looking forward to. It's my third Fellini film and I think it has a great reputation here at the SSO. So far, in my limited experience, Fellini has been an absolutely fantastic director, but I have to gear up my emotions for this one. I think Alison said she liked it better than LA STRADA, which means it must be great indeed.

These are followed by WHO"S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF and finally, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, both of which are incredible ensemble acting pieces. If you haven't seen them yet, then you must not have been watching TCM.

I guess Barkin is a heavy duty drama fan. It may be rough watching these 4 films all in a row, but I am excited to see the showcase for some brilliant acting.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

First up is a movie I've been wanting to see forever, FAT CITY, starring Jeff Bridges, Stacy Keach and Susan Tyrell: directed by John Huston. This one is a POSITIVELY DO NOT MISS!
Great advice. FAT CITY is my favorite John Huston film (and I like Huston) and my favorite of Barkin's choices (and I like them all). And tonight is an opportunity to see Jeff Bridges at the start of his career, before anyone would think he'd be the actor of his generation. Watching these two performances now, we should have known.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh gosh! Thanks kingrat! I didn't see the Ida Lupino day coming up.

Don't miss Deep Valley. At last I can get a recording of it.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks for the heads up about Ida, kingrat.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I thought June was going to be a month of wandering in the desert of Teen Idols for me on TCM, but fortunately, they have scheduled several hours of Ida, Ida, and more Ida. Below are the Lupino films throughout the month. I hope you'll write about your faves for this actress too as I am surprised we don't already have a thread devoted to this actress-filmmaker. It's not just June 21st that is going to spotlight Lupino--there's more on June 29th! And there are some intriguing DVDs in the offing featuring some obscure Ida flicks.

Since I can't believe we have neglected the existing Ida Lupino thread in the section devoted to Movies and Features on TCM for so long, I'll be jumping over there with more about her movies this month, setting the bracing presence of Ida the Film Titan on that pedestal where she belongs...or, as Ida might mutter under her breath..."Oh, brother."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Just found out that Susan Tyrell (see FAT CITY tonight) died yesterday.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:Just found out that Susan Tyrell (see FAT CITY tonight) died yesterday.
I'm sorry to see her go, but from what I have read this talented, eccentric actress suffered for years with poor health. The irony of her Academy Award-nominated performance for Fat City (1972) being showcased tonight would not be lost on anyone with her sense of dramatic timing.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh no! It really is sadly ironic timing. I am so glad we will get to see her in what I've heard is a great performance.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

King Vidor, a few years after The Crowd (1928), examines another aspect of urban life in playwright Elmer Rice's take on the petri dish that was NYC, circa 1930. Street Scene (1931) marked the film debuts of Beulah Bondi and John Qualen. More details about this movie can be seen here on the TCM website.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks