WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
MikeBSG

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "The More the Merrier" (1943) directed by George Stevens.

I had tried to watch it about 10 years ago and quit on the movie. I made it all the way through today, but I thought the movie never rose above moderately amusing. I liked the first breakfast of the three stars, and I liked McCrea and Cogburn reading comic strips, but that was about it. The movie could have used a quicker pace.

I was surprised to find that I was just annoyed with Jean Arthur through much of the movie. I love her in Capra's films and in "Only Angels Have Wings," but here she was just whiny. Indeed, she was crying and whining for what seemed like the last 15 minutes of the movie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You know, Maven, I remembered that Carol Hughes was married to Frank Faylen about a minute after I found her picture there.... the reason I already knew this? Because my dad actually knew one of the Faylen's daughters in college in St. Louis. In fact, Frank Faylen gave him his first alcoholic drink. He went to their home, was greeted by Ms. Hughes, then as he waited for the daughter to come downstairs, Mr. Faylen asked him if he wanted a drink. Embarrassed and nervous, he said yes, but then didn't know what kind of drink to ask for. He stumbled through a brief conversation with the famous actor and was never invited back. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm six degrees of separation from Carol Hughes through you and your dad!!! How lucky am I. Cute story. I'm picturing your father as a young man uncomfortably waiting for a girl while being entertained by her father. That you even have that connection blows my mind. Cute.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That I even have that connection blows my mind!

When I grilled asked my dad what he and Mr. Faylen talked about, he couldn't remember. I'm like, "You MET Frank Faylen and you can't remember?" Sheesh.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Parents! << Sigh! >> What can you do with 'em? :roll:

is that "Dracula's" Helen Chandler, outward bound with Doug Jr.? I think she's one of the Robert's Lost Women if I have the right actress. Wait, is that even Fairbanks?

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mike:

Sorry you didn't like "The More The Merrier" better. I'm a big Jean fan, though I find her hair a distraction here, but I think the chemistry between McCrea and Coburn is the best part of the movie. However, the stoop scene with Jean and Joel is a winner.

Have you seen "Walk, Don't Run"? If so, which do you like better?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I missed Outward Bound this morning, but I think it was Helen Chandler and Doug.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx!!

feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:I missed Outward Bound this morning, but I think it was Helen Chandler and Doug.
How uncanny you mention it this week; last Monday I began to watch it and fell asleep, because I was too tired....Will try to watch it soon. I'd like to own a copy of "Between Two Worlds" (1944) to compare.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Agggh! I wish I'd known. It was just on here!
feaito

Post by feaito »

MikeBSG wrote:Today I watched "The More the Merrier" (1943) directed by George Stevens.

I had tried to watch it about 10 years ago and quit on the movie. I made it all the way through today, but I thought the movie never rose above moderately amusing. I liked the first breakfast of the three stars, and I liked McCrea and Cogburn reading comic strips, but that was about it. The movie could have used a quicker pace.

I was surprised to find that I was just annoyed with Jean Arthur through much of the movie. I love her in Capra's films and in "Only Angels Have Wings," but here she was just whiny. Indeed, she was crying and whining for what seemed like the last 15 minutes of the movie.
I'm just the opposite; it's one of my favorite comedies along with "Midnight" (1939), which is more of a screwball comedy; it's indeed my favorite romantic comedy now that I think of it. I find it too perfect. 10/10.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Agggh! I wish I'd known. It was just on here!
Thanks WEN!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm a big fan of The More the Merrier.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

King Rat, I haven't seen 1941, but it doesn't sound bad to me. Like you, I've heard negative things about it. They can't all be classics!