What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: What are you reading?

Post by moira finnie »

Not that I have much use for Charles Higham's taking target practice on people who aren't around to defend themselves, but, curiously, his early books were actually well-researched and revelatory interviews with Hollywood veterans. One of the best books I've read on the subject of cinematography was Hollywood Cameramen: Sources of Light (Indiana University Press), written by Higham in 1970, which followed The Celluloid Muse: Hollywood Directors Speak in 1969, which was also terrific reading. Apparently, Higham only started to dish the dirt later when he needed the money.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's interesting to know Moira.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Moira for that piece of info.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Thanks for the information, Moira. It's really sad that publishers are only interested in dirt....
charliechaplinfan

....It's such a shame. I wish I were rich enough to be a publisher, I could commission each of you to write a book on your favorites. We can all dream I suppose.

I've read Bogie - A Celebration of the Life and Films of Humphrey Bogart a 50th anniversary of his death publication. The author is Richard Schikel and the foreword is by Stephen Bogart, it's respectful, giving a detailed but not overlong account of Bogie's life and career, packed with pictures and details of all the films he made. It seems he made some turkeys whilst he was on his way up. I've no desire to watch him in a hoedown musical or in a western but most of his other films sound worth watching.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:....

I've read Bogie - A Celebration of the Life and Films of Humphrey Bogart a 50th anniversary of his death publication. The author is Richard Schikel and the foreword is by Stephen Bogart, it's respectful, giving a detailed but not overlong account of Bogie's life and career, packed with pictures and details of all the films he made. It seems he made some turkeys whilst he was on his way up. I've no desire to watch him in a hoedown musical or in a western but most of his other films sound worth watching.
It's ironic ... I just finished reading that book (I've checked it out at my Local Library) and what you said in your quote is absolutely profound. I find that Richard Schikel did a great recap of Bogart's career as an actor and I for one ... recommend it for all Bogie's fans here in Silver Screen Oasis. It's has great stuff in it.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ann Harding wrote:Thanks for the information, Moira. It's really sad that publishers are only interested in dirt....
I agree . . . but it really does get down to a simple matters of sales; I believe that the entire trend would come to a squealing halt virtually overnight if a majority of readers just stopped buying books for the dirt advertised as being dished in their contents.
charliechaplinfan

kingme wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:....

It's ironic ... I just finished reading that book (I've checked it out at my Local Library) and what you said in your quote is absolutely profound. I find that Richard Schikel did a great recap of Bogart's career as an actor and I for one ... recommend it for all Bogie's fans here in Silver Screen Oasis. It's has great stuff in it.

What a coincidence, I'm not a massive fan of Bogart, I like him, for me when I watch one of his movies I remember how good an actor he is and how much I enjoy watching his movies. The book illustrates how I feel about him, it's not idolatry but a respectful and honest appraisal.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Finished last week Scott O'Brien's Bio on Kay and it's definitely superior to the other Bio I had read before. Scott's writing skills are better; his insight has more depth and more "heart" -not just academical- and the valuable information he obtained from Jetti Ames was most informative and touching. I was truly moved.

I began reading a totally different kind of booK: "Nephilim and the Pyramid of the Apocalypse" by Patrick Heron.
charliechaplinfan

I'm just thinking about buying the Kay Francis book, thank's for your post, it's pursuading me :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm glad Ali, I heartily recommend the three Bios written by Scott (Kay, Virginia Bruce & Ann Harding).

Last week I bought on-line the out-of-print Bio of Norma Shearer by Gavin Lambert, which I have read is superior than the one written by Lawrence J. Quirk, which I bought (second-hand, as well) years ago.

I also bought Fred MacMurray's Bio by Charles Tranberg and I plan to get afterwards Bob Taylor's Bio by the same author. Bear Manor Media rocks!
charliechaplinfan

You're like me, I got through spells of buying books, I think I'm going to order the Kay Francis book and perhaps the Virginia Bruce book after that.

I've just ordered Simon Callow's book on Charles Laughton and I've ordered a book on Peter Lorre which has had lots of positive reviews on Amazon.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I've just ordered Simon Callow's book on Charles Laughton and I've ordered a book on Peter Lorre which has had lots of positive reviews on Amazon.
Did you order The Lost One - A Life of Peter Lorre by Stephen Youngkin? It's the best I've ever read about Peter Lorre.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Simon Callow wrote a book on Laughton??? wow.
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:You're like me, I got through spells of buying books, I think I'm going to order the Kay Francis book and perhaps the Virginia Bruce book after that.

I've just ordered Simon Callow's book on Charles Laughton and I've ordered a book on Peter Lorre which has had lots of positive reviews on Amazon.
Indeed and I need more shelves to place my books!! Those books on Laughton & Lorre sound interesting! :wink: