WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:D Oh yeah, I am all for a Renee Adoree Day! That would be fabulous! She was one of the best! Incidentally, you did not mention THE MATING CALL, or THE TIDE OF THE EMPIRE? I assume that you have seen, or have those? Haven't you? If not, let me know?

:) There are still several of her films locked away that we have not seen yet. MAN & MAID (Fox, 1923) with Lew Cody, AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES (1925) also with Eleanor Boardman, THE FLAMING FOREST (1926) with Antonio Mereno. A blockbuster film at Paramount that year called TIN GODS with Thomas Meghan, and Eileen Pringle. This ranked in the top 10 money makers of then year according to exhibitors herald. he aforementioned FORBIDDEN HOURS (MGM, 1928) with Ramon Novarro, and a few more.

:roll: Some of these may be lost, but I think the majority still survive. THE SPIELER, and THE MICHIGAN KID have both been offered by second-tier DVD companies. I have not seen those yet.

8) At long last, THE BLACK BIRD makes it's North American TCM debut next Sunday. So I will finally be able to get a copy without those bold Spanish translations. As this movie was released in January of 1926, it might very well be considered a 1925 film. To me this movie is better than several of the better known Chaney's and I am hoping it will be a part of the next Warner's Chaney DVD Collection. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Gagman 66 wrote:Fernando,

:D Oh yeah, I am all for a Renee Adoree Day! That would be fabulous! She was one of the best! Incidentally, you did not mention THE MATING CALL, or THE TIDE OF THE EMPIRE? I assume that you have seen, or have those? Haven't you? If not, let me know?

:) There are still several of her films locked away that we have not seen yet. MAN & MAID (Fox, 1923) with Lew Cody, AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES (1925) also with Eleanor Boardman, THE FLAMING FOREST (1926) with Antonio Mereno. A blockbuster film at Paramount that year called TIN GODS with Thomas Meghan, and Eileen Pringle. This ranked in the top 10 money makers of then year according to exhibitors herald. he aforementioned FORBIDDEN HOURS (MGM, 1928) with Ramon Novarro, and a few more.

:roll: Some of these may be lost, but I think the majority still survive. THE SPIELER, and THE MICHIGAN KID have both been offered by second-tier DVD companies. I have not seen those yet.

8) At long last, THE BLACK BIRD makes it's North American TCM debut next Sunday. So I will finally be able to get a copy without those bold Spanish translations. As this movie was released in January of 1926, it might very well be considered a 1925 film. To me this movie is better than several of the better known Chaney's and I am hoping it will be a part of the next Warner's Chaney DVD Collection. :wink:
Jeff,

I have not seen either of the films you mention, because I don't have them.

I did not have any trouble with the Spanish Subtitles, since it's my native language :wink:
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:? I'm sorry I didn't realize you had not seen those movies. Well, don't worry I'm sure you will be seeing them soon. :wink: James Cruze THE MATING CALL is great, with Thomas Meighan, and Evelyn Brent. Renee plays third fiddle here, but has much more to do than in THE PAGAN. Meantime, in Allan Dwan's THE TIDE OF THE EMPIRE she receives top billing. Opposite Tom Keane. Yet another highly under-rated feature.You will definitely want to see these films!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Today I watched (thanks Alison) the lurid, decadent, exotic Lon Chaney movie "West of Zanzibar" (1928). I felt its plot was like "Queen Kelly" meets "Trader Horn". Chaney is a master of disguise and expression. It's amazing how realistically he protrayed a cripple. Mary Nolan has a special quality, too bad her career was so short. She reminds me of Anita Page. I'd like to watch the 1932 remake (Kongo) which it's said is even more decadent and salacious. The plot was rather predictable to me, but thanks to Chaney's portrayal it did not matter.

Sadly the print is in poor condition, this film needs restoration.
Last edited by feaito on October 20th, 2008, 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:? The print of WEST OF ZANZIBAR is scratchy, but does have very good contrast. At least my Laser-disc transfer has. I know of no other print? They could go in and digitally erase artifacts, but it's unlikely that we will ever see this happen. I would like to be proven wrong.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the feedback Jeff.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm glad you enjoyed it Fernando. Thanks to you I got to see The Love Parade and Monte Carlo. The former is the best film I've seen from 1929, I've cast around in my mind but I can't think of any other film that is as good. Jeanette MacDonald was a Lubtisch discovery with her hair down she's a completely different actress fom her MGM films.

I loved all the songs, they are so catchy.

Thanks to Christine, I got to watch Bardelys the Magnificent It's very different to the other Vidor silents I've seen, it has the MGM stamp firmly on it, perhaps Vidor made this film for MGM to get one of his other projects off the ground. It has many highlights, the river bank scene is magnificent and the stunts are really good especially John Gilbert flying trough the air.

I for one am glad it's been found.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I re-watched "The Love Parade" on the past weekend & I marveled at its inventiveness & freshness. A delight from start to finish; a witty, risqué Pre-Code, although not as "naughty" as "The Smiling Lieutenant" (1931) IMO :wink:
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

Last night as part of the Austin Film Society’s tribute to the comedies of Frederic March, the Alamo Drafthouse theater showed Design for Living originally released in Dec 1933 just months before the production code began to be rigidly enforced. The story of two men living with one woman in a sometimes non-platonic way makes this one of the raciest and funniest of the pre-code films. It was based on Noel Coward’s play but screenwriter Ben Hecht and director Ernst Lubitsch changed practically all the dialogue and took out the bisexual context between the two males that was present in the play. This film was mostly forgotten for a long while b/c it was not recertified to be shown again during the production code era. That’s unfortunate b/c while it’s not one of my fave of Gary Cooper’s films, it is a funny movie and a good way to spend 90 minutes. My only real beef with this one is Miriam Hopkin’s acting style. She seems too stagey, especially next to the very natural styles of Gary Cooper and Frederic March.

There was a big turn out and the theater was nearly full. There were people of all ages ranging from teens to the old folks and everyone really enjoyed it. There was near constant snickering to full on laughter. My friend and fellow Coop addict, Theresa and I were so excited to get to see another one of his films on the big screen (High Noon being the first we saw this past February) and we behaved ourselves very well and only became giggly during one scene. Gary and Frederic are getting drunk to forget their sorrow of being left by Miriam’s character and while Gary’s talking he hiccups and it’s just so cute. Anytime Gary’s character, a tempermental painter, would pout that got big laughs too.

When Frederic’s playwright character gets a gig in London he leaves his pals in Paris and it doesn’t take long (literally it’s later that day) for Gary and Miriam’s hormones to get the better of them. While all three were together they had a gentleman’s agreement that there would be no sex.

Once the two of them are alone however, Miriam throws herself down on the sofa very suggestively and says to Gary, ‘we may have made a gentleman’s agreement, but I am no gentleman’. That’s one of my fave parts and it got big laughs.

After a while Gary becomes very successful and while he’s away doing a portrait, Frederic comes back for a visit and now he and Miriam also put aside the ‘gentleman’s agreement’. As she and Frederic are having breakfast the next morning, they are discussing how to break the news to Gary. He has a bit of a temper and is known to break furniture when he gets mad. Miriam says ‘he is a little barbaric’ and then she gets this little smile on her face as she drifts off no doubt remembering a time he has been ‘barbaric’ with her before. Frederic gives her quite a jealous glare and this also got a big laugh out of the crowd.

When Gary does return, Miriam sees that she is breaking up the long friendship between the two men and not able to choose between them, she leaves to marry Max Plunkett, her boss and friend who has been pining after her played wonderfully by Edward Everett Horton. This is where Gary and Frederic proceed to get drunk and this scene also went over big. Besides Gary’s cute hiccup, the best part is when they have run out of things to toast too and Gary suggests something but Frederic rejects it and says very calmly but drunkenly, ‘I refuse to be silly’.

Miriam and Edward’s marriage is a loveless one, much to his chagrin, but she has helped to boost his advertising business by playing the dutiful wife and good hostess at parties. Gary and Frederic decide to come to her rescue and they crash a party at their home. Frederic walks in first wearing white tie, tails and a top hat. When Gary came in after him in the same outfit, nearly every woman in the audience went ‘oooohh’. I’m pretty sure there was never anyone who looked better in formal wear than Gary.

They sneak up to Miriam’s room and hide behind her changing screen when they hear her coming. She’s had enough of playing parlor games with one of the more influential guests and soon the trio are happily reunited.

Edward comes in and the men very playfully get off the bed and hide behind the changing screen again which also got big laughs.

When Edward is unable to convince his wife to rejoin the party, Gary and Frederic go down to bust it up. We don’t see what happens in the parlor, but we can hear the commotion and when Edward goes to down to find only Gary and Frederic with mussed hair and all the guests gone, he knows they ran them all off. Miriam explains to Edward that he can tell his guests he left his wife b/c of her association with those hooligans and it will likely triple his business which makes him quite happy as he loved his business more than her anyway.

In the final scene we see Miriam, Gary and Frederic in their fancy duds pile into a cab and they decide to move back to their little run down tenement in Paris where they first lived together.

First she kisses Frederic on the lips with Gary jealously looking on until she then turns to him and does the same. Then they make another gentleman’s agreement and happily drive off into the sunset.

Everyone cheered afterwards and I heard many people making comments about how well the film was written and how great the acting was and it seems everyone had a good time. It’s really wonderful to get to see these films on the big silver screen with a crowd of people; that’s how they were meant to be enjoyed. We are very fortunate here in Austin to have two theaters that show classic films and there is always a good turnout. I’m really looking forward to Nothing Sacred with Frederic and another of my faves, Carole Lombard in a couple weeks.
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks for the review, I watched it recently and loved it. It's very risque but lots of fun. I only differ from you on two points, I like Miriam Hopkins acting style and more importantly I much prefer Frederick March :wink:

Enjoy Nothing Sacred, I'll look forward to reading your review.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I have Nothing Sacred on dvd and already love it but I’m sure I will enjoy it even more on a big screen. This will be the oldest color film I’ve seen in a theater so far just beating Gone With the Wind by a couple years.

Miriam Hopkins isn’t bad, I’ve seen much worse, but she just seems a little too rehearsed for my liking. Usually if there is something about one of Gary’s movies that I don’t like, it’s the leading lady. Some were pretty bad and usually those were the ones who were inexperienced but the studios thought being in a high profile film with him would help kick start their careers. This blew up in their faces about as often as it worked. Sometimes the supporting actors were pretty bad too like Akim Tamiroff. I’m sorry if he’s someone fave but I can barely watch him. I can’t believe he actually got an Oscar nod for The General Dies at Dawn and For Whom the Bell Tolls, both with Gary. He chews more scenery than a termite in a forest. :lol:
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Thanks for the review Ang, Design for Living is probably my favorite pre-code (well that or Waterloo Bridge), so I am envious that you got to see it on the big screen. I'm a big fan of Miriam Hopkins, but I can see how she would be an acquired taste for some. She can be pretty earnest. If you get a chance you should check out The Story of Temple Drake, which she carries from start to finish. That's probably her best role.

I still have no idea how Lubitsch was able to get away with that ending though. Incredible.

I've watching a couple silents and pre-codes the last week or so with varying results. I watched the 1932 Claudette Colbert vehicle Misleading Lady, and was not impressed. It wasn't Claudette's fault though, the film was just oddly placed, and the whole premise is kind of offensive. Essentially Colbert makes a bet that she can seduce Edmund Lowe and get him to propose marriage. Well he gets wind of her insincerity, and kidnaps her and holds her hostage in his cabin. The problem with the whole sequence is that I think it's supposed to be for laughs, but it's all so uncomfortable, because you have Claudette screaming for her life, and him just mocking her, and eventually he chains her to a wall. I think it's supposed to be her comeuppance, but it's all so uncomfortable, and I just felt bad for her, rather than sympathized with Lowe's character. I guess the moral is that it is ok to kidnap and terrorize a woman as long as you love her. Ugh.

I also checked out Bardelys the Magnificent, and was impressed. I mean it's hokey studio fare, but King Vidor handles it very well, and John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman are both very good. The highlights for me were the scene of Gilbert and Boardman on the boat(the scene from Show People), which was beautifully lit, and had a great score, and the action sequence at the execution with Gilbert doing his best Douglas Fairbanks. It's a fun movie all around, and certainly worthy of Vidor.

Last night I watched Josef von Sternberg's first talkie Thunderbolt. I wouldn't say it was really good, but it was fascinating to see and hear how von Sternberg adapted to sound technology. He shows a comfort with the technology that is pretty remarkable for 1929. He uses music, overlapping sound, off-screen dialog, and even moves the camera around a bit. It all works pretty well. The story is pretty weak, and most of the performances are pretty bad, Fay Wray especially, but it's interesting simply to see how comfortably von Sternberg used the new technology.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
drednm

Post by drednm »

I like DESIGN FOR LIVING but for Miriam Hopkins.... I think both March and Cooper are ok but it's Miriam's movie....
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

Well, I'm guess I'm in the minority when it comes to Miss Hopkins :wink: . I do want to see Frederic March's version of Jekyll and Hyde and maybe I'll like her better in that.

Speaking of early talkies from Von Sternberg, I nearly forget that Morocco came out in 1930 each time I watch it. Technically and stylistically it looks like it should belong much later in the decade. Everything flows very smoothly and the sound is great. It has none of the creakiness or clunkiness (which I like sometimes, don't get me wrong) of a lot of other early sound films. I'm not much of a fan of Dietrich either (again probably in the minority) but she is good in this film; if only she didn't sing :P
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is fantastic, March is great, Hopkins is great, and Rouben Mamoulian's direction is phenomenal. An absolute classic.

I really need to watch Morocco again. I'm a big Dietrich fan, but was underwhelmed when I watched it. I know it's blasphemy to say, but I don't really like Gary Cooper very much(sorry), but in the right role I find him to be effective (Man of the West springs to mind). So I think my disappointment with Morocco was mostly due to Cooper. But I'll give it another shot.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields