WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

Well I'll be waiting to read what you think of the film.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Put her there pal! Put her there!!

Cinemarific! Only you would quote this cute little song from the Hope/Crosby repertoire. Long a favorite of this "Road Warrior."

Don't put it in your pocket.
Don't put it in the air.
Don't put it in the paper.
Put it there, pal! Put it there!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

RedRiver wrote:Cinemarific! Only you would quote this cute little song from the Hope/Crosby repertoire. Long a favorite of this "Road Warrior."

Don't put it in your pocket.
Don't put it in the air.
Don't put it in the paper.
Put it there, pal! Put it there!
Whoa! That was just a shot in the dark Red. I didn't know that song. I can't believe in the haven of the Maven where I'm ravin' and a cravin'...that I hit on Bing and Bob. :shock:

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think it's ROAD TO UTOPIA, but I'm not sure. After a few years, it's hard to tell one from another!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I went to see Blue Jasmine last night, and thought it was a really fine movie. I haven't read any of the reviews here yet, because I wanted to write my feelings about the film first.

I thought that Cate Blanchett was perfect, as usual, digging deep into another character that fit her personality and acting style like a glove. Or is it that she slips into characters so well that I simply THINK the role was written for her? Anyway, she captures this woman so perfectly, from the upper crust tone-y trappings and relaxation of the Hamptons to the fear and loathing when she shows up in San Francisco at her sister's low rent apartment.

I found much to think about with this movie. I thought that underneath it all, the sisters were actually quite alike in their responses to men, following a sort of will o' the wisp existence with no thought of what the future might bring. Grasping at whatever came their way, which was mighty slim pickin's. I thought every actor in the film did a great job. I thought the directing was incredible, not a superfluous scene in the whole thing, it was very tight. I loved the script. All in all, one of the best serious Allen films I've seen.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

not a superfluous scene in the whole thing

This is a concept all but lost in modern filmmaking. If we don't need to see it, don't show it! I haven't seen the Woody film, but I will.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It really was a crisply directed film. SO nice to see that nowadays!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I get the distinct impression that a lot of moments in today's movies are there simply to fill time. If you only knew that, you could get up and go to the bathroom!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hear ya, red. Totally agree, the bigger the budget, the more time wasting scenes get inserted.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:I went to see Blue Jasmine last night, and thought it was a really fine movie. I haven't read any of the reviews here yet, because I wanted to write my feelings about the film first...

I enjoyed "BLUE JASMINE." Cate Blanchett did a great job as a woman whose life was imploding. She was in free fall. She looked like she needed to be rich because she couldn't do the simplest chore that us "simple folks" could do. You're right about the "sisters" being alike. Both seemed to be a little desperate for a relationship. Well...the Sally Hawkins character was satisfied and with Cate's egging on became dissatisfied with her grease monkey. Wendy, did the movie make you think at all, of "A Streetcar Named Desire"?? Cate as Blanche DuBois and the Kowalskis ( Andrew Dice Clay & Bobby Carnevale. )

For those San Franciscans looking for San Francisco in this Woody Allen movie in San Francisco, will be looking for a needle in a haystack. The last shot was so UN-Woody, it made me say "WoW!!!"

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I did see the comparison to Streetcar, and it wasn't in retrospect, it was right during the movie. But I thought it was very worthy of being made over in this incarnation. Hey, when was the last time you saw an even adequate remake/transposition of such a movie? I say he did a great job.

BLUE SPOILERS

What I really REALLY liked about Blue Jasmine was that I could feel sympathy for each sister, and also feel that they were each selfish as well.

As for Sally Hawkins being satisfied at the beginning, I'm not so sure. I don't think she could have been convinced so easily if she were all that satisfied. I think she thought Chili was the best she could get. Just as I didn't see Cate's character as completely selfish and bad, I didn't see Sally's character Ginger as completely put upon or influenced by her sister. When Ginger had just been in that huge fight with Chili where he ripped the phone out of the wall, Jasmine didn't even think twice about whether to take that phone call from the rich politician, or go comfort her sister. She took the call, and pretended to be in the midst of decorating or something. But Ginger was also not much of a sister. Though she generously lent her place to Jasmine to stay at indefinitely, she also talked about her sister behind her back to her boyfriends/kids. She was so easily swayed by anyone and everyone that she continually was bad mouthing someone, just to agree with the person she was with at the moment. So they were more alike than a first glance would have them be. Both blown by the wind, and the person doing the blowing had power over them, if you know what I mean. Both seemed a bit wrecked.

Now I'll ask you something. Did Cate remind you at all of Charlotte Rampling in Stardust Memories?

I think Cate would make a fantastic Tallulah Bankhead if they ever did a biopic....
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I didn't see "Stardust Memories" so I don't know if she's like Charlotte Rampling.

Like your review. You're spot on about what you say about those sisters. They were going to throw each other under the bus, for the sake of getting a man. Ginger was dumping her brother, and then wound up with Louis C.K., who then dumped her. Ack!! Luckily ( for her...in her eyes ) she was still able to get the boyfriend back. Poor Jasmine didn't have a back-up plan ( or is that back-up man. ) They were not good sisters for each other nor good friends to each other. ( Their friendship for anyone else would be in question as well. You know these type of gals. You'd be dropped like a hot potato for the first guy that looked at them. ) They were interesting train wrecks to watch...from afar. For Woody, this film was a stretch.

As for Cate being Tallu....interesting.

Watching the Kim Novak interview again on TCM. Candid, heartbreaking, genuine & real! And that "VERTIGO" is still breath-taking to me. What a dirty rotten trick Elster played on Scottie. And what typical human nature from Scottie at the end - losing her...for real. That Hitchcock; played a joke on everyone.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There's a scene about halfway through Blue Jasmine where they dolly in on a huge closeup of Cate, chewing her lip, her head resting low on her arm, she's planning what to do. She is bitter and kind of funny and her voice is very low... I looked at her and tried to think who it was she reminded me of so much. It finally came to me last night - Tallulah, a kind of toned down Tallulah.

Watched the beginning of Vertigo, but knew I couldn't go there for the whole thing..I was just too tired and it would have been too much for me. I may watch today so I can get the full effect. Agreed about Ulster, I was watching him in his scenes now that I know his secret, and a cooler customer there never was. It's funny, he's so unlike any other villain that I can think of... hidden in plain sight, as innocuous as they come. By the end of the picture you don't even remember what he looked like.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:Watched the beginning of Vertigo, but knew I couldn't go there for the whole thing..I was just too tired and it would have been too much for me. I may watch today so I can get the full effect. Agreed about Ulster, I was watching him in his scenes now that I know his secret, and a cooler customer there never was. It's funny, he's so unlike any other villain that I can think of... hidden in plain sight, as innocuous as they come. By the end of the picture you don't even remember what he looked like.
Intriguing, as usual. Last night, the cruelty done to Scottie Ferguson, really hit home for me. Hopefully a discussion can be had when no one is tired. ( Oh look...it's Friday.-------> ) Or will have been drinking. :oops:

( ...And by the way, what made you put Peggy Cummins as your latest avatar? )