Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by JackFavell »

LOL Nah, that's the other Arnold! Stang is sidekick "Pretzie". (because he sells pretzels -- who knew?)
Of course. I should have known. Pretzels.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yep, and apparently it was his real name -- he didn't have to change it from Elmer Humperdick or something. Great cult figure -- the first and the best of the bodybuilder action heros!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

JackFavell wrote:
LOL Nah, that's the other Arnold! Stang is sidekick "Pretzie". (because he sells pretzels -- who knew?)
Of course. I should have known. Pretzels.

When I was growing up, the men selling those large, soft, hot, salty street-cart pretzels looked wonderfully like Ed Brophy. That's the kind of little guy I want to have handing me such an appetizing treat, not bespeckled Mr. Turtle.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I love Ed Brophy! What a guy. Even when he's playing a baddie, I suspect a warm heart lies underneath his holster.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Ditto! :D :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Bronxsie wrote:
and apparently it was his real name -- he didn't have to change it from Elmer Humperdick or something. Great cult figure -- the first and the best of the bodybuilder action heros!
You're referring to Arnold Stang, right?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I suspect a warm heart lies underneath his holster.

Either that or he's just glad to see you!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:shock: D'0hhh! :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I know exactly how you feel about CAVEMAN ... Masha! :)
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

So bad it's good, great even -- Joe Versus the Volcano (1990). Script by John Patrick Shanley, and Meg Ryan plays three characters. :D :P :D
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

A new Bad fave -- R.P.M.! (1970) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Directed by that socially conscious hepcat Stanley Kramer. Anthony Quinn is "Paco" Perez, sociology professor living with half-naked grad student Ann-Margret. Quinn (with his memorable whine) "Put on some clothes!" and, "Can't you wear a bra?" She tries to raise her aging lover's testosterone levels by doing some typical Ann-Margret Vegas-style shimmy moves in the living room, but this hardly elicits any reaction from Paco, who can barely work an exercise bike without looking like he's going to have a heart attack at any moment. This is not the lusty, over-the-top Tony Quinn we've come to know and (sometimes) love. We are constantly told that Perez, at 53, has practically one foot in the grave. Ann: "Flab IS reality!" She has a colorful background: "My father was a schmuck, and Mom burned her brains under a hair dryer!" Quinn is also, for reasons never explained, constantly breaking out in his signature nervous laugh. I'm glad Jason Robards wasn't also in this movie. Imagine the cynical-giggle fest.

Liberal Perez, born and raised in Spanish Harlem, which further establishes his street cred, is chosen by the desperate, hilariously buttoned-down and prissy college board to "get down" with a group of grubby power-to-the-people student activists who are threatening to destroy the school's computer system unless their 12 demands are met. An administrator huffs: "Number 9 is the frontier for freakishness!" Perez assures them he'll do his conciliatory best: "I'll talk until my wazoo goes limp". Great dialogue.
I have the feeling Kramer was going for Mike Nichols-type irony and black humor, but only succeeds in making himself look ridiculously out of touch.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hey Possums!!

Speaking of Anthony Quinn:
I've suddenly just remembered a 'BMYL' - "Portrait in Black" (1960) with Lana Turner.....
L & A are lovers, who may or may not have killer her rich husband; and are being blackmailed...
Blonde Lana and dark Anthony look marvellous together; sort of a latter-day Lana and Tyrone Power!!

Has TCM ever played this; and if not, why not???

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Liberal Perez, born and raised in Spanish Harlem, which further establishes his street cred, is chosen by the desperate, hilariously buttoned-down and prissy college board to "get down" with a group of grubby power-to-the-people student activists who are threatening to destroy the school's computer system unless their 12 demands are met. An administrator huffs: "Number 9 is the frontier for freakishness!" Perez assures them he'll do his conciliatory best: "I'll talk until my wazoo goes limp". Great dialogue.
I have the feeling Kramer was going for Mike Nichols-type irony and black humor, but only succeeds in making himself look ridiculously out of touch.
Jeez, and I missed seeing this movie the other day, Bronxie. Your description of Ann-Margret as a co-ed would have rated a 9 on my bomb-o-meter, but the comments on Tony Quinn's nervous laugh and lack of his usual physicality makes this sound deliciously off. However, do you really think that Stanley Kramer made this movie as a dark satire on the turbulent campus life of that period. Stanley? Kramer? Yuk-Meister? Come now....but maybe...?
Vecchiolarry wrote:Hey Possums!!

Speaking of Anthony Quinn:
I've suddenly just remembered a 'BMYL' - "Portrait in Black" (1960) with Lana Turner.....
L & A are lovers, who may or may not have killer her rich husband; and are being blackmailed...
Blonde Lana and dark Anthony look marvellous together; sort of a latter-day Lana and Tyrone Power!!

Has TCM ever played this; and if not, why not???
TCM has shown this epic more than once, Larry. It is a real gem. My favorite scene is when Lana tries to drive (was this a signature of all her roles after The Bad and the Beautiful?). The only person who got out of this movie without losing his credibility with me: Lloyd Nolan--but he left early.

In the past, we reveled in Portrait in Black and several other latter-day Lanas in this thread here: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... ack#p94755
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks