Noir Alley

Dargo

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: October 8th, 2023, 10:44 pm ...Then this pipsqueak of a music writer for a newspaper stole my thunder. He remind me a bit of Snooky Lanson.
kingrat wrote: October 8th, 2023, 11:17 pm You realize you get extra points for references to Snooky Lanson?
laffite wrote: October 8th, 2023, 11:24 pm Yes, points for the town geezer.
Yes laffite, but I hope you realize you lost a point or two by not naming the actor who reminded you of Snooky Lanson in this film.

This of course being long time character actor Richard Erdman whose career would last nearly eight decades until his recent death in 2019...

(...although I'll bet you did actually know this, didn't ya)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Btw, another of the young music students in this film's opening scene and who would also go on to have a very long career in the biz, and who would also live well into her nineties until passing in 2016, was...

Patricia Barry
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: October 9th, 2023, 12:40 am
laffite wrote: October 8th, 2023, 10:44 pm ...Then this pipsqueak of a music writer for a newspaper stole my thunder. He remind me a bit of Snooky Lanson.
kingrat wrote: October 8th, 2023, 11:17 pm You realize you get extra points for references to Snooky Lanson?
laffite wrote: October 8th, 2023, 11:24 pm Yes, points for the town geezer.
Yes laffite, but I hope you realize you lost a point or two by not naming the actor who reminded you of Snooky Lanson in this film.

This of course being long time character actor Richard Erdman whose career would last nearly eight decades until his recent death in 2019...

(...although I'll bet you did actually know this, didn't ya)
Actually, I did not. But thanks for the photo. Ii didn't occur to me to name the actor. I didn't even know his name. I apparently thought that it enough that he would be safely recalled when mentioned. Pipsqueaks should remain anonymous anyway.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: October 9th, 2023, 9:06 am
...Pipsqueaks should remain anonymous anyway.
So, would this mean character actors such as Percy Helton and Donald Meek should never be mentioned by name as well? ;)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: October 9th, 2023, 1:14 am Btw, another of the young music students in this film's opening scene and who would also go on to have a very long career in the biz, and who would also live well into her nineties until passing in 2016, was...

Patricia Barry
Always been a fan of Patricia Barry. I'm seeing her fairly often on 50s and 60s westerns like The Rifleman, Tales of Wells Fargo, Gunsmoke etc...

On Tales of Wells Fargo she plays a wealthy young woman who lies to Jim Hardy, nonstop, but she is a good gal at heart so Jim bails her out.

She could plays serious parts like on Gunsmoke where she is held hostage by mean man Claude Akins, who treats her really badly.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: October 9th, 2023, 10:24 am
laffite wrote: October 9th, 2023, 9:06 am
...Pipsqueaks should remain anonymous anyway.
So, would this mean character actors such as Percy Helton and Donald Meek should never be mentioned by name as well? ;)
With names like that, heck no!

:shock:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 9th, 2023, 12:08 pm
Always been a fan of Patricia Barry. I'm seeing her fairly often on 50s and 60s westerns like The Rifleman, Tales of Wells Fargo, Gunsmoke etc...

On Tales of Wells Fargo she plays a wealthy young woman who lies to Jim Hardy, nonstop, but she is a good gal at heart so Jim bails her out.

She could plays serious parts like on Gunsmoke where she is held hostage by mean man Claude Akins, who treats her really badly.
One of my favorites was her portrayal of a famous actress who along with Robert Culp does away with her backmailing first husband in an episode of 'The Alfred Hitchcock Hour' titled 'Goodbye, George'...

(...oooh, she WAS a sexy little vixen, wasn't she!)
Last edited by Dargo on October 9th, 2023, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I haven't seen Deception in a while, maybe ten years or more.
Even though Bette kills someone, I feel some sympathy for her, stuck
in the middle between a teeny tiny control freak and a thin-skinned
hubby. No wonder she shot one of them. Claude Rains was a hoot, looking
and sounding like he just came from Dorian Gray's. And the A picture look
and top of the line production values certainly helps with what is basically
a romantic triangle pic with three over the top people, though I think it's
not something I'd want to watch every year.

What happened to this site. The formatting is messed up and hard to
decipher, unless it's just my computer.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: October 9th, 2023, 4:15 pm ...And the A picture look
and top of the line production values certainly helps with what is basically
a romantic triangle pic with three over the top people, though I think it's
not something I'd want to watch every year.
So, how about if instead of her shooting Claude Rains, she wishes she was never born and an angel then comes down from heaven to show her the error of her thinking, OR she will do anything necessary and go to any lengths to get her hands on a Red Ryder repeating BB air rifle in order to shot him with that?

(...would you want to watch this flick every year THEN???)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: October 9th, 2023, 4:35 pm
So, how about if instead of her shooting Claude Rains, she wishes she was never born and an angel then comes down from heaven to show her the error of her thinking, OR she will do anything necessary and go to any lengths to get her hands on a Red Ryder repeating BB air rifle in order to shot him with that?

(...would you want to watch this flick every year THEN???)
I would have shot Rains twice, just to be on the safe side. At least
she didn't shoot his eye out. I've seen A Christmas Story so many
times I can take it or leave it.

Yeah, Patricia Barry really got around, especially on TV. She's on an
episode of Perry Mason tonight, the one where she butters him
up for most of the episode. Oh Perry darling, I need your help so badly.
Andree

Post by Andree »

kingrat wrote: October 9th, 2023, 7:40 pm [
Or what if she wakes up and realizes it was just a dream and she's in Kansas and Paul Henreid and Claude Rains are only farmhands? I'm guessing that Bette would say she wasn't spending her blankety-blanking life in blankety-blanking Kansas with any blankety-blanking farmhand, takes some magic elixir, goes back to sleep, and even when she's being tormented by a control freak composer, she thanks her lucky stars she's not in Kansas anymore.
If Paul Henreid and Claude Rains were my farmhands I'd sell that farm ASAP.
Or....Bette could go on a cruise and meet Henreid, who is playing in the ship
band, the ship being captained by a Bligh-like Rains. Oops, never mind.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Are making fun of this remarkable movie? I loved it.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Who doesn't love the screen pairings of Bette and Claude? But come on, DECEPTION is not noir. Meanwhile the station casually throws in a definite noir, the 1946 CRACK-UP, as part of some Art Forgery theme line-up. Has this even been shown on the Alley? It should be! I'm beginning to think 40 years of elbow-bending has finally started to affect EM's choices, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I always remember Patricia Barry (who I used to confuse with Janet Blair) in that TWILIGHT ZONE episode with George Grizzard, "The Chaser".