WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Ugh. If G. Page did all those T. Williams movies or plays, I never would have become an actress!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4040BF]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:Maven, I somehow knew that you and Born Yesterday were a good match, if not a great one. The writing I think is what keeps us hooked on this movie. There's a lot of wit here, and I thought you might enjoy it....

Girl...you knew more than I did 'cuz I did go in there with kind of sort of slight reservations. ( You know how it is...when you hate something you know nothing about for so long... ) I enjoyed it very much, along with your post below. I do tend to gravitate towards that alpha male. But again, the movie kind of kept me wobbling between my cinematic expectations ( beat him to a pulp! ) and wondering what was going to happen next.
[u][color=#400080]movieman1957[/color][/u] wrote:One of my favorite lines that I can't remember the first part of but is when Judy offers Bill "or would you like a little action?" Kind of bold but somehow not to sleazy. It's more flirtatious...
I remember that line...my eyebrown raised. I was kind of shocked, but you're right MM...bold. Direct. She put it out there. Was she really putting it out there? I couldn’t believe my ears ( what year is this movie? )
Now, Maven if you want more Holliday you should go get "It Should Happen To You" and "The Solid Gold Cadillac." There isn't a lot more though so love what you can.
You know, I blew it...twice. I forgot to look at my schedule for when "It Should Happen..." would screen at Lincoln Center, and when I woke up with the tv on, I awoke to Judy and Jack in the same moving, missing much of it. Aye yi yi! :( I'll be on the lookout for it.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

RedRiver wrote:G. Page and K. Stanley were born to do Tennessee Williams!
ImageImage
JackFavell wrote:Ugh. If G. Page did all those T. Williams movies or plays, I never would have become an actress!
Why don't you like her?

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's one of those things that is completely irrational. Her style is interesting, but it bugs the heck out of me. The mannerisms that reveal character are ones that drive me crazy. I've heard the same thing about Sandy Dennis, but she doesn't make me want to turn off the TV. It might actually be her voice that bothers me, now that I think about it. Anyway, I do understand she's a good actress, but I can't watch her. She plays the kind of person I would RUN from in real life. Some would say that's good acting. But I don't want to be confronted with it if I don't have to. Maybe I'm afraid it hits too close to home, since I am a naturally talkative person... don't want to be Geraldine Page!

As for It Could Happen To You, the scene that I always turn around to watch is the all too brief song "Let's Fall in Love" sung by Holliday and Jack Lemmon, who also gets to play the piano for once in a movie. I only wish it were longer, and that they got to sing the song just once all the way through. Charming.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ahhh. Okay. :)

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Do you like Page?
feaito

Post by feaito »

After this interesting exchange I'm going to make a point of seeing a film with Geraldine Page to see my reaction to her; I don't remember seeing any in the recent past.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

NOOOOOOO!

I'm just kidding Fernando. I'd be quite curious what you think of her. For me, she's like nails on a chalkboard. There aren't too many people I feel that way about. The only movie I can stand with her in it is Summer and Smoke.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's said that when Page arrived on the set of HONDO, she was treated as if she was nobody. She was a Broadway star! But this was the movies. Who cares about Broadway?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I really like her in Hondo and The Trip to Bountiful, in both, she was a woman...not a Movie Star..just a woman, with all the quirks and baggage that most of us carry around with us.

:lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I forgot Hondo, that one is OK for me, too, maybe because she's like you say, a normal woman.

I haven't ever seen the whole movie of Trip to Bountiful.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:Do you like Page?
She's okay. She doesn't really bother me. She IS kind of actressy. Pent up. Uptight. Tremulous. Unhinged. You might like her in "Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?" She's still crazy...but she gets hers in the end.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll have to see how far I can get with it.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

just a woman, with all the quirks and baggage that most of us carry around with us.

I think Page is usually like that. She's not glamorous. I like the actress just fine. My issue with SUMMER AND SMOKE is the character.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Yes, you just want to smack that character; but more likely I'd smack Laurence Harvey - the character and in real life (he was an a--hole)...

I like Geraldine Page alright but haven't see all her movies. A glamourized Geraldine can be seen as the bitchy, snobby mother of John Davidson in "The Happy MIllionaire"...

And I'm with you Wendy about Una Merkel in "Summer and Smoke" - - "I want chocolate, not strawberry; I said I want CHOCOLATE".... I love Una in all her movies, even when she's only in it for 5 minutes.....

Another love of mine is Lee Patrick - she's the blousy card sharp mother of Pamela Tiffen, who tells Laurence Harvey in her best Elvira Powell voice, "If I catch you tampering with my baby, I'll cut off your knackers!!".... Ya just gotta love her!!!!

Larry