Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Ollie

Re: Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Post by Ollie »

Buy you a drink, aye. Any time, and for all of those who honor the rest of us by their kind agreement to be on TCM. As others have commented, I'd have probably not accepted, so thank you all for donating your faces and your film-choices to TCM's good reputation.

I'd be interested in hearing if you have alternative choices that you MIGHT have preferred to 'host', and what happened in those circumstances.

As for MrsL and her "this is a nothing week on TCM" comment, I agree. But for me, these seldom-interspersed occurrences are welcome times for me so I can do something else rather than pay attention to TCM and TV recordings! I am snagging a lot of these Ginger Rogers films because I don't know them and our experience is that if we don't know a film yet TCM picks it, it's usually pretty good.

I almost like seeing TCM schedule a few bad films for that reason, too. "I can do something else! Finally!"

Like clean up the TV area from my wild throwing attempts to hit the Guest Programmers as they continue to smile across the screen. Darn - where's a nice old peach when I need it?!!

(Over on the GARBO thread about older actresses avoiding screen-time because of aging... this is why I love Gloria Swanson and Marlene D, Myrna Loy, Angela Lansbury, Elsa Lanchester, Margaret Rutherford, Bacall and so many others - they didn't avoid it, they embraced the years and I love all of their "over 40" appearances just because of that. As poor as some of those films may be, their appearance alone makes them watchable.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Anne,
How funny, we all have such different tastes but that's what makes TCM so great. Today is a pink-letter-day for me, so named because I wrote MOVIES in hot pink letters on the calendar. In fact, I was almost late to work because it was time to switch DVDs and I had cut it down to the minute so all afternoon could be recorded!

Anyway, I hope you have a day that lights your fire soon.
Wishing you the best,
B
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

It looks like I'll get good recordings from the 6 Ginger Rogers films. Four down, 2 to go...
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ollie please! I get myself into so much trouble by not phrasing things correctly - I said "this is a bad week FOR ME for TCM". Actually your idea is great because a 'made for TV' movie premier is on Saturday night based on my favorite authors' latest book and I did buy it so I could read it first and thus . . . I have the time! Also, I find lately when TCM shows a movie for the first time, it is repeated within a couple of weeks in order to make full use of the rented time. It used to be you had to wait a year or so, but since they rent just like we do now, they have their limited time to return the movie also, just like us. There are some things this old brain of mine catches on to quickly. :wink:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Birdy wrote:How funny, we all have such different tastes but that's what makes TCM so great. Today is a pink-letter-day for me, so named because I wrote MOVIES in hot pink letters on the calendar. In fact, I was almost late to work because it was time to switch DVDs and I had cut it down to the minute so all afternoon could be recorded!
I was thrilled with Tuesday night too. I finally was able to catch The 49th Parallel, a Powell/Pressburger film that I've long been curious about. It was gratifying to finally be able to watch this curiosity. Yippee! Hail TCM!

Wow, we're really on the countdown now, aren't we?! Just days until our friends' appearance. I feel like you're representing all of us next week, and feel proud to be represented by such wonderful film fans.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moraldo,

I've already told Mr. C that we will have to open all the windows and doors so that we can hear your shouts of joy from up the coast!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

MrsL, my "Nothing on TCM Week" was fairly destroyed by yesterday's 7 Ginger Rogers films - I ended up paying more and more attention to them, and recorded them all. It was great to see a pre-Hoppy "Bill" Boyd. Edgar Kennedy was in several of them, too. I enjoyed this 'troupe-like' effect of some of these, making people assume different names while protecting an innocent storyline. ha ha... fortunately, the rest of the week is full of Commercially-Available DVDs or I've got recordings for the remainders! This way, I really don't have to pay attention to TCM and their nasty ability to sneak in so many hidden gems on me!
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Forgive me for not posting something new. I've just found that I need a resource where I can quickly refer to the who's and when's for this week. If my middle-aged memory weren't dissipating, this wouldn't be necessary. Be that as it may... All times listed are Pacific (and specific!). Now, where are my housekeys?

Monday, April 13

5:00pm

[Cinemaven]Theresa Brown
The Letter (1940)

7:00pm
Lani Golstab
Grand Illusion (1937)

9:00pm
[Filmlover] Peter Bosch
Those Lips, Those Eyes (1980)

Tuesday, April 14

[Miss Goddess] April Lane
Gone with the Wind (1939)

Lisa Mordente
Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

11:00pm
Rome Mendheim
Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

Wednesday, April 15

[Mongo] Joe Buonocore
Double Indemnity (1944)

Juan Castro
Swing Time (1936)

[LZCutter] Lynn Zook
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

Thursday, April 16

Anna Seager
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

Jeff Hoyak
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

9:15pm
[hlywdkjk] Kyle Kersten
Meet John Doe (1941)

Friday, April 17

Monica Elliott
The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Philip Himberg
So Long at the Fair (1950)

8:30pm
Jay Looker
Silk Stockings (1957)
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on April 13th, 2009, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thank you for this, Marco. I hadn't focused on the fact that some of our own are on the air so early, i.e., before I get home from work. I will have to contrive to record them.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Judith---if you're in Brooklyn keep in mind Moraldo's time postings were Pacific.
All the Fan Programmer slots start at 8:00 p.m. Eastern. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:Thank you for this, Marco. I hadn't focused on the fact that some of our own are on the air so early, i.e., before I get home from work. I will have to contrive to record them.
Caveat Judith! All times are Pacific. So they'll start at 8 for you. No worries for East Coasters.

[Addendum: Ah Miss Goddess: quick on the draw. Thank you!]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Also tonight's broadcast of "The Letter" is being hosted by "Cinemaven."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Also tonight's broadcast of "The Letter" is being hosted by "Cinemaven."
And our fellow member here and on the TCM board, "Filmlover" is hosting the broadcast premiere on TCM of "Those Lips, Those Eyes" (1980) at 12AM ET. You can see a sample of this little known but promising film here.

Can't wait guys and gals!!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Congratulations on the BIG DAY for filmlover (Peter Bosch) and CineMaven (Theresa Brown)!!
If this is too small to read, you can see the full-size version at TCM:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... 8&tstart=0

-- Will Rogers