CHARLES BOYER

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: CHARLES BOYER

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think De Sica's character is fickle and no great depth to it whereas Boyer's has depth and he's a thinker and a schemer, I find De Sica much like Madame De, they're well suited to one another.

I didn't engage on such a level with La Ronde, although I like the movie very much, the appearances of each character are in episodes so one doesn't get the chance to be as drawn in. Letter From An Unknown Woman or Caught are films in which I've really engaaged with the characters to the same degree as Madame de.

I can't wait until you've watched Mayerling, it's a film I really liked.

Today, courtesy of Christine, I watched Orage in French. I don't speak French although can pick up some words. Well, I got the wide meaning of the plot and I wasn't bored. Boyer speaks French as attractively as English, Michelle Morgam played his mistress and the film really is a showcase for her, I found the woman who played his wife more attractive. Boyer plays a man who intercedes for his brother in law with the brother in laws girl only to fall in love himself, there are some touching scenes, even when you can't speak French. The love scenes were more daring than Hollywood's and Boyer is allowed to be unbuttoned and have his sleeves rolled up, something I haven't come across in his Hollywood films, in those he's always presented very correctly and romantically but i like the slightly ruffled Boyer too. Although the plot was something of a melodrama, it looked and felt good.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, unbuttoned Boyer sounds great! And the plot also sounds really interesting.
charliechaplinfan

You might want to check out Arch of Triumph his second pairing with Ingrid Bergman. It's much better than I'd been led to believe and Boyer is very good as the refugee doctor trying to evade capture whilst trying not to fall in love with Ingrid's character.

My husband likes Charles Boyer as an actor saying he's better than most although he has pointed out to me that he always portrays men that don't exist, you know, the unashamedly romantic type. Well I don't know if they exist or not but I'm not married to one :lol: He can't even do the accent :lol:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, you are killing me! I'm not married to one either. :D

I am going to try to catch up on Boyer - I just keep getting distracted - we have been having a lot of stuff going on at home the last couple of weeks and then the new season started on regular TV, so Andrew is watching all the new shows. I am getting irritated that he doesn't even ask anymore if I have something I would like to watch. At least he keeps out of trouble. :D
charliechaplinfan

I think Chris is pleased when I'm watching something that isn't foreign or silent, he's not a big TV watcher. The Boyer movies mostly carry a strong romantic theme, he's just trying to convince me that men like that don't exist, ever. Not that I'd ever have time to search for one.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! One existed.... Charles Boyer. :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I had one but after a couple of months, I realized he was still in love with his ex-wife, so I told him to go back and find a way to make it all up. I never saw him again, so he must have found the way.

Charles Boyee - yuk, ppttuuii. I've seen him in a few good roles, and he does make me laugh in some comedies, but why does he have to use a full tube of Brylcreme on his hair for every scene???????
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

For those who have never seen it...or have not recorded it...or just want to luxuriate with a sweeping camera: THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE... is on TCM tonight (or tomorrow) at 2am (EST).

That's six hours after the start of the greatest film ever made :D and immediately preceding another Ophuls masterpiece, LOLA MONTES.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, The Earrings of Madame de....is a wonderful movie - I just recently saw it and I would say it's one of thegreats.

Not as great as the greatest movie ever made, but still.... :D
charliechaplinfan

Without the benefit of the TCM schedules can you tell me what is the greatest movie ever made and was it by Max Ophuls?

Madame De is simply wonderful, I feel I need to watch Lola Montes again to get a better appreciation of Ophuls genius.

Charles Boyee - yuk, ppttuuii. I've seen him in a few good roles, and he does make me laugh in some comedies, but why does he have to use a full tube of Brylcreme on his hair for every scene???????

Anne, are we thinking of the same guy? I just can't remember the brylcreem. Maybe I can't get past the eyes and the accent.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

CCF asked:
Without the benefit of the TCM schedules can you tell me what is the greatest movie ever made and was it by Max Ophuls?
No, not by Ophuls, but by Orson -- a little thing called CITIZEN KANE!!!

Sorry. Now back to the fourth Boyer brother (you know, the one other than Ken, Clete, and Cloyd).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sorry. Now back to the fourth Boyer brother (you know, the one other than Ken, Clete, and Cloyd).
Hahahahaha!
charliechaplinfan

Ah, I thought it might have been an Ophuls night on TCM, silly me of course it's Citizen Kane.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Above: Charles Boyer, our internationally minded pal, in front of a map at the French Research Foundation in Los Angeles in 1945. You can read more about this organization that Boyer helped to found in the late '30s here.

Alison, and all our friends here and abroad, do you have access to http://www.tcmuk.tv/ on the internet ? If you do, if you go to the bottom of the main page on the TCM site you can see the following:
Newsletter | About TCM | Links | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Other TCM Sites | Get TCM | Terms of Use | Competiton T&C's | Advertise with us | Contact us | Turner Jobs

When you click on Other TCM Sites you will see these as hyperlinks to TCM worldwide (though there are actually more for individual countries, but these must be the most readily accessible):
OTHER TCM SITES

TCM USA
TCM France
TCM Spain
TCM Latin America
TCM Australia
TCM New Zealand
TCM Asia Pacific

American users can see the following near the bottom of the main page of the US TCM site:
Our International Sites: TCM UK TCM UK | TCM Spain TCM Spain | TCM France TCM France | TCM Latin America | TCM Asia | TCM Germany

That way, if you see something listed on the schedule on the USA site or any other, we should be able to see each other's schedules and perhaps we can ask each other to make you a copy of films that interest us, (that is, if we have recorders, which leaves me out right now). It might also give us a better idea of the kind of programming that you guys are getting abroad. Hope this helps a bit.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.