POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

Swithin

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button?

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 1:04 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 12:48 pm
Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 12:40 pm

ANTI is so over! Like old fogies, you are dying out! LOL.
:smiley_cheer:
So you're Swithin? Didn't realize.
Yes. I tried to be Swithin here, but they wouldn't let me. So I had to pick another Anglo-Saxon saint.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 1:55 pm
Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 1:04 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 12:48 pm

:smiley_cheer:
So you're Swithin? Didn't realize.
Yes. I tried to be Swithin here, but they wouldn't let me. So I had to pick another Anglo-Saxon saint.
LOL. Who is that guy?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 3:23 pm
LOL. Who is that guy?
Alan Turing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: December 14th, 2022, 4:11 pm
LOL. Who is that guy?
Alan Turing

Thanks Lawrence, I wasn't sure which guy Hibi meant. Thought possibly he wanted to know more about St. Cuthbert.

I visited Bletchley Park in Buckinghamshire in October and took that photo of a photo of Alan Turning, who did much of his renowned work there.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 4:27 pm
Thanks Lawrence, I wasn't sure which guy Hibi meant. Thought possibly he wanted to know more about St. Cuthbert.

I visited Bletchley Park in Buckinghamshire in October and took that photo of a photo of Alan Turning, who did much of his renowned work there.
You're right, I didn't even think of Cuthbert. Oops!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuthbert
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LawrenceA wrote: December 14th, 2022, 4:11 pm
LOL. Who is that guy?
Alan Turing

Thanks.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Never heard of St. Cuthbert. When was he canonized? The dark ages?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 4:53 pm Never heard of St. Cuthbert. When was he canonized? The dark ages?
St. Cuthbert's dates are ca. 634-687. He is associated with Northumbria in the northeast of England (St. Swithin is associated with Winchester, in the south). St. Cuthbert is also associated with Durham Cathedral, which I've visited; and with the monastery at Lindisfarne.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Isn't that the dark ages? I get my dates mixed up. Or was that before the dark ages?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 5:17 pm
Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 4:53 pm Never heard of St. Cuthbert. When was he canonized? The dark ages?
St. Cuthbert's dates are ca. 634-687. He is associated with Northumbria in the northeast of England (St. Swithin is associated with Winchester, in the south). St. Cuthbert is also associated with Durham Cathedral, which I've visited; and with the monastery at Lindisfarne.
Cuthbert is mentioned a few times in the Canterbury Tales. A brief Google search says he is mentioned in the Reeves Tale but also the one where the Princess beheads a man with a curse. The tale is set in Pagan Northumbria I believe.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Old fogie, huh? Anti is so out, huh? We are only down by two votes , so don’t give me none of that corn. I think we still have a good chance of winning. And really, when you look back on it all, Hibi made the button obsolete with his very cool LIKE! post. That’s what I wanna see from a fellow poster — LIKE!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 14th, 2022, 6:11 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 5:17 pm
Cuthbert is mentioned a few times in the Canterbury Tales. A brief Google search says he is mentioned in the Reeves Tale but also the one where the Princess beheads a man with a curse. The tale is set in Pagan Northumbria I believe.
:smiley_heartbounce:
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

After briefly searching the Web for Pro and Con arguments regarding the Like button, I discovered that . . .

There ain't many likes for Likes.

Lotta angst about the deterioration of society. Lotta pearl-clutching and Sturm und Drang from psychologists, sociologists, social scientists, and folks who have waaaaay too much free time on their hands IMO about the pernicious and corrupting effects of the upright thumb and beating heart. Oh, Lawdy! This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a . . .

Image Meh. Much ado about nothing, methinks.

If the Like button wins the SSO poll vote (and truth to tell, I hope that it does) . . .

See you in HELL, Y'all! 😈

Are Like Buttons Essential for Social Media?

The Pros and Cons of Hiding Likes on Social Media

The 'Like' doesn't mean what you think it means

What's in a Like? Motivations for Pressing the Like Buttons

The social significance of the Facebook Like button

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

And here's Bobby's opinion (I actually worked with him once. This was his theme song.)

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: December 14th, 2022, 9:45 pm After briefly searching the Web for Pro and Con arguments regarding the Like button, I discovered that . . .

There ain't many likes for Likes.

Lotta angst about the deterioration of society. Lotta pearl-clutching and Sturm und Drang from psychologists, sociologists, social scientists, and folks who have waaaaay too much free time on their hands IMO about the pernicious and corrupting effects of the upright thumb and beating heart. Oh, Lawdy! This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a . . .
Sorry, but I just don't understand the reasoning in this. With all the negativity in the world today and especially so expressed via the internet, how and in what possible way could a simple expression of a POSITIVE response to something one has said or shown on the net become viewed as somehow being a "negative", and as long as what was said or shown does NOT press some sort of negative or intolerant thoughts or ideas???

(...nope, just don't get it here...sorry)