Noir Alley

jamesjazzguitar

Re: Noir Alley

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 9th, 2023, 11:42 pm Who doesn't love the screen pairings of Bette and Claude? But come on, DECEPTION is not noir. Meanwhile the station casually throws in a definite noir, the 1946 CRACK-UP, as part of some Art Forgery theme line-up. Has this even been shown on the Alley? It should be! I'm beginning to think 40 years of elbow-bending has finally started to affect EM's choices, lol.
Eddie has shown Crack-Up on Noir Alley.

I see you again, have a very narrow and fixed view of "noir". Oh well, too each his own (which is diffidently not noir).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Deception is so SLOW. I agree with Eddie about the technical aspects. But it's about as exciting as watching ice melt. If only Bette had just spilled the beans in the beginning! Rains almost singlehandedly saves the film, but I still think it's a dud! And the ending is inevitable. You know there are just 2 outcomes. Henreid find out or he doesn't (Rains killed) I always have to laugh in the beginning about Bette's lousy sandwiches (used in a clip in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 9th, 2023, 11:42 pm Who doesn't love the screen pairings of Bette and Claude? But come on, DECEPTION is not noir. Meanwhile the station casually throws in a definite noir, the 1946 CRACK-UP, as part of some Art Forgery theme line-up. Has this even been shown on the Alley? It should be! I'm beginning to think 40 years of elbow-bending has finally started to affect EM's choices, lol.
Welcome back, Bronxie!! I think Eddie has shown Crack Up. But I'm not sure. I know I've watched it and it's not something I'd pick to watch, offhand.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: October 10th, 2023, 10:45 am
laffite wrote: October 9th, 2023, 11:26 pm Are making fun of this remarkable movie? I loved it.
Nah, we're just riffing on familiar films. And besides, Dargo started it! I also liked DECEPTION quite a bit. It's a beautifully made film. If it isn't 100% noir, it shows the intersections between noir and what would have been called "women's films" and are now sometimes called "domestic melodramas."

Some other random thoughts about the film:
--Bette Davis wears several different hairstyles, and all of them are attractive. In the 1940s that's against the odds, given the helmet hair, sausage curls, and other unflattering styles of the period.
--Eddie pointed out that THE LETTER and DECEPTION, Bette's most noirish films, were both remakes of films starring Jeanne Eagels, Bette's favorite actress. The early version of DECEPTION was called JEALOUSY. Has anyone seen it?
--Irving Rapper was eager to get away from Warner Brothers and go independent. He later said this was a mistake. Most of his post-DECEPTION titles are fairly obscure.

Patricia Barry is best known to soap fans as Addie Horton on DAYS OF OUR LIVES. Addie's daughter Julie (Susan Seaforth) was married to Scott but having a torrid affair with Doug (Bill Hayes). Julie planned to leave her husband, but Doug insisted that she leave her son with his father. Julie agreed but had no intention of doing so. When Doug found out, he got even with her by eloping with her mother! That always shows 'em! Addie had a menopause baby and then heroically died rescuing her daughter from an oncoming car.

Patricia Barry later played some other soap roles, such as the mother of Brooke (Julia Barr) on ALL MY CHILDREN. Brooke's mother turned out to be an international criminal code-named Cobra, which led to some priceless dialogue.
Brooke: "But you're my mother!"
Patricia Barry: "I am...Cobra!"
DYING over DOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: October 10th, 2023, 11:27 am
Welcome back, Bronxie!! I think Eddie has shown Crack Up. But I'm not sure. I know I've watched it and it's not something I'd pick to watch, offhand.

Thank you, Hibi! I'm a fan of Pat O'Brien, believe it or not, lol, so it's nice to think this was shown on Noir Alley. True, no one would mistake Pat for an art curator in the real world but this against type-casting gives O'Brien a certain Everyman quality that I think enhances the emotional intensity of his character's plight. Tom Conway would have been the perfect choice but not much of a contrast to co-star Herbert Marshall. (I love Pat in THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR, another role you wouldn't associate with him -- and he's actually sexy, as a cop, in THE GREAT O'MALLEY)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 10th, 2023, 10:26 am

I see you again, have a very narrow and fixed view of "noir". Oh well, too each his own (which is diffidently not noir).

What, me narrow and fixed with regard to noir? No way! Heck, I even think the animated GAY PURR-EE has noir elements. Not kidding! Pampered but bored kitty Mewsette (Judy Garland's voice) yearns for adventure in the big city of Paris, runs away from her owner's farm but gets disillusioned very quickly. Check it out!

Thanks for the info on CRACK-UP -- obviously I missed its airing there.
jamesjazzguitar

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 11th, 2023, 5:28 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 10th, 2023, 10:26 am

What, me narrow and fixed with regard to noir? No way! Heck, I even think the animated GAY PURR-EE has noir elements. Not kidding! Pampered but bored kitty Mewsette (Judy Garland's voice) yearns for adventure in the big city of Paris, runs away from her owner's farm but gets disillusioned very quickly. Check it out!

Thanks for the info on CRACK-UP -- obviously I missed its airing there.

So you're saying that when you said "But come on, DECEPTION is not noir", you were just making a wise crack? Because for me a narrow view of a style is to say a film is X or NOT X instead of what you did with Gay Purr-ee; commenting on the 'noir elements' a film has or not has.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

No, no wisecrack all-or-nothing comment on DECEPTION from moi -- I have seen this movie several times over the years and honestly have never discerned any true noir elements in it, unless perhaps I am missing a certain post WWII cynicism and disillusionment represented by Paul and Bette's characters. I am of course willing to be re-educated into another opinion of the film by everyone who thinks I'm just plain clueless, lol.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 25th, 2023, 6:47 pm
ElCid wrote: September 25th, 2023, 3:15 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:09 pm

Oh, sorry. Yea, she after that initial scene Jane disappears and isn't seen again until the end. What a wasted opportunity. Funny but I just watched Ann Rutherford on Perry Mason (1959). Last week I saw her on Tells of Wells Fargo in a 1956 episode.
I think Ann Rutherford was on several Perry Masons. More of Jane Greer may have helped the movie, but I still enjoyed it anyway. As I understand it, Howard Hughes pretty much diminished Greer's career. She was great in Out of the Past and just as good in The Big Steal in a more humorous role.
Frist thing: welcome back. You were missed!

Unlike some of the others here, I also enjoyed the film. While Rutherford was sometimes a little too perky, I didn't find that annoying. Always liked Tom Conway and Rutherford and him had good chemistry in the film. I did find the plot somewhat confusing but that didn't hinder me from finding the film entertaining.
Thank you!
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

Tonight's Noir Alley film is The Big Caper (1957). This United Artists film features Rory Calhoun, Mary Costa and solid supporting actor, James Gregory. I haven't seen the film so I'm looking forward do so.

The film is set in Southern California: E.g. The luxury hotel where Kay meets Flood, Roy, Harry and Doll is actually the Hollywood Riviera condominium complex at 1400 North Hayworth Avenue in West Hollywood, built in 1954 and designed by prolific mid-century architect Edward H. Fickett.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Have they showed WHIRLPOOL? That one has another terrific Jose Ferrer performance.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I had seen The Big Caper before, a long while ago. Found it good entertainment again. Mary Costa reminded me of Piper Laurie who died yesterday.
Lately I have been watching reruns of Rory Calhoun's The Texan TV series which are fairly enjoyable if somewhat standard for the period.
Back in 1970 I was a pay officer in the Army once. My guard and I reported to post HQ and picked up payroll for out unit, which was all cash. The irony was that the HQ pay personnel had already divided it up into exactly the right denominations to the penny for each soldier drawing pay. Some, mostly officers and NCO's were on direct deposit at the post bank, but still had to pay out a lot of money in exact amounts. Always wondered about these movies where they knock over a military payroll as also in The Big Steal, what they did with all the coins. And how much of the one million would have been in coins and one and five and ten dollar bills.
jamesjazzguitar

ElCid wrote: October 15th, 2023, 10:45 am I had seen The Big Caper before, a long while ago. Found it good entertainment again. Mary Costa reminded me of Piper Laurie who died yesterday.
Lately I have been watching reruns of Rory Calhoun's The Texan TV series which are fairly enjoyable if somewhat standard for the period.
Back in 1970 I was a pay officer in the Army once. My guard and I reported to post HQ and picked up payroll for out unit, which was all cash. The irony was that the HQ pay personnel had already divided it up into exactly the right denominations to the penny for each soldier drawing pay. Some, mostly officers and NCO's were on direct deposit at the post bank, but still had to pay out a lot of money in exact amounts. Always wondered about these movies where they knock over a military payroll as also in The Big Steal, what they did with all the coins. And how much of the one million would have been in coins and one and five and ten dollar bills.
I've also been watching The Texas on Gritt TV and I find it to be the best work I've ever seen from Calhoun. While the storylines are basic there are supporting actors I enjoy, and a lot of action packed into these 20 minute or so episodes.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 15th, 2023, 12:00 pm
ElCid wrote: October 15th, 2023, 10:45 am I had seen The Big Caper before, a long while ago. Found it good entertainment again. Mary Costa reminded me of Piper Laurie who died yesterday.
I've also been watching The Texas on Gritt TV and I find it to be the best work I've ever seen from Calhoun. While the storylines are basic there are supporting actors I enjoy, and a lot of action packed into these 20 minute or so episodes.
So far, I have enjoyed all of The Texan shows, but the ones featuring his work for a railroad became a little boring.
Calhoun's life story is very interesting.
If I remember correctly he was teaching someone how to race in Thunder in Carolina and said - go into curves slow and out fast. I've always remember that when I drive. :D
Incidentally, he arrives in the movie in a Chrysler New Yorker convertible. A very expensive car for the time, but then Chrysler Corporation furnished a lot of cars for movies and TV.