WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Ro, I'm so glad you liked HUGO, it was a real surprise to me too, the gentleness of it, the way no character was 'bad' or mean.... the twists and turns that finally end up telling the story of Melies, the artistic vision of it...it all combined to make a VERY satisfying movie. I should watch it again, it's a movie we should go back to again and again.

As for Mildred, I remember that huge discussion we had a few years back, and that is what has propelled me to re-watch and re-watch, to see why it prompted such a knock-down-drag-out, ha ha! Not literally, but there was a lot of talk about whether Mildred should be pitied or not. I am just late to the game! And I don't want to dogpile on Bruce Bennett, he does a good job of showing a man who has been kind of 'pushed' out of his own family. I just wish that first scene was a little clearer, I finally felt like Bert Pierce was the key to the whole thing for me... and I just didn't really see it until now. He was pushed yes, but he was willing to be, and since when does that matter when kids are involved? He is as much at fault as Mildred, I think for Veda's personality.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I own the BRay of Hugo and I think that it's simply one of the best, most endearing and well acted films of the last decade and that it is a demonstration of the huge talent, artistry and versatilty of Mr. Scorsese (and shows also his love for Classic Film)....10/10
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

i watched NOTORIOUS starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman last night to check out this scene that many of my friends thought it was one of the most sizzling romantic scenes in that movie. I was surprised by that and they were so right. Anyway, I enjoyed the film and it was a great vehicle for both Grant and Bergman. I haven't seen this movie in 20 years and I was greatly entertained by all this.

It was on TCM ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu8JASfWb6A

Romantic Scene in NOTORIOUS on YouTube.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Glad to see how people here liked "Hugo."

I remember when it came out and was nominated for Best Picture, and I read some actress (quoted anonymously) saying that "Hugo" shouldn't have been nominated because it was "a kid's movie."

Then today, someone on Goodreads was complaining that the novel that "Hugo" is based on had nothing in it that could interest adults.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

feaito wrote:I own the BRay of Hugo and I think that it's simply one of the best, most endearing and well acted films of the last decade and that it is a demonstration of the huge talent, artistry and versatilty of Mr. Scorsese (and shows also his love for Classic Film)....10/10
Couldn't agree with you more. It's the best film of the last five years for my money. Love what he did to really use 3D (even though I haven't seen it in 3D).

I have a copy of his "Personal Journey" DVD and watch it regularly. It helps explain how his talent blossomed. Wish he'd do more "talking" to us; the man is a treasure trove of information on just what motion pictures are all about.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Rita Hayworth wrote:i watched NOTORIOUS starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman last night to check out this scene that many of my friends thought it was one of the most sizzling romantic scenes in that movie. I was surprised by that and they were so right. Anyway, I enjoyed the film and it was a great vehicle for both Grant and Bergman. I haven't seen this movie in 20 years and I was greatly entertained by all this.
My favorite part of Notorious is when they're at the ball and Grant is obliviously dancing along while everyone now despises him. It's very funny.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Lomm wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote:i watched NOTORIOUS starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman last night to check out this scene that many of my friends thought it was one of the most sizzling romantic scenes in that movie. I was surprised by that and they were so right. Anyway, I enjoyed the film and it was a great vehicle for both Grant and Bergman. I haven't seen this movie in 20 years and I was greatly entertained by all this.
My favorite part of Notorious is when they're at the ball and Grant is obliviously dancing along while everyone now despises him. It's very funny.
If I am not mistaken what you mention sounds more like Grant's and Bergman's 1958 comedy "Indiscreet" than "Notorious" Lomm.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote:
Lomm wrote:
If I am not mistaken what you mention sounds more like Grant's and Bergman's 1958 comedy "Indiscreet" than "Notorious" Lomm.

feaito,

It is Indiscreet - because Bergman's character thought that Grant's character to be married - but in reality Grant's character was single and that's when Bergman's character plotted revenge against Grant's character in this delightful British Comedy that was directed by Stanley Donen. I hope that I got this right.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We are seeing Saving Mr. Banks tonight.

Looking forward to it!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for clarifying my doubt Erik.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Watched "The Trouble with Harry" last night. Not one of the master's greatest, but it is the one film, I think, where you can sense his tongue firmly in his cheek from first scene to last. He was famous, of course, for a somber, all-business set, but I really think they all seemed to be having a great time on this film, especially Edmund Gwenn.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm watching MISTER ROBERTS on TCM today and I was checking the TCM Web Site today and learned that this is WILLIAM POWELL last screen appearance working along with James Cagney, Henry Fonda, and Jack Lemmon. I was kind of surprised to read that over at TCM today.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Mr. Edmund Gwen was a wonderful actor we saw too little of.

My latest video choice is one of those classics that gets it all right. The stark, sensitive REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT is the antithesis of the overbearing, mind-numbing technical extravaganza of today's market. The special effects in this character drama come in the form of Anthony Quinn, Jackie Gleason and the great Julie Harris. And special they are! With considerable help from Rod Serling's poetic script, the players create complex, fragile, unpredictable characters. Much like the people we meet every day in our own worlds.

Realist Ralph Nelson (CHARLY, LILLIES OF THE FIELD) directs the story of a boxer forced to retire due to health isuues (too many blows to the head). Manager Gleason wants to hold onto his cut, taking advantage of the fighter in any way he can. Ms. Harris is a social worker with issues of her own. She more or less falls in love with the boxer. But can this frail, fearful spinster engage in a sexual relationship? Mickey Rooney is Quinn's longtime trainer and friend. He, and pretty much everyone else, sees through Gleason's self-serving ploy, and wants to help his friend break away. But loyalty can be confusing; even destructive. Walking away is not easy. Especially when "Fighting is all I ever done!"

Like Robert Rossen's THE HUSTLER and some of Martin Ritt's work, this is cold, brutal drama. There's no singin' in the rain, no cavalry coming to the rescue. What there is, is direct, personal storytelling, done just about as well as I've ever seen.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Heavyweight" is a wonderful film full of fine performances. I admired the unusual casting and thought it came off very well. It is a stark film and not fun at all but it's so well done.

If you ever get a chance to watch the TV production with Jack Palance you should. (I must have seen it on a tv broadcast as I'm not sure it is available anywhere.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."