George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Western Guy

Re: George Raft

Post by Western Guy »

Alison, first off, I don't really see any sort of kindness in Trigger. He is a pretty mean specimen, though not quite as vicious as Faulkner's Popeye. But, in your defense, Raft did play a similiar meanie in DANCERS IN THE DARK. One could argue, his character was even worse.

Secondly . . . I suppose when one was rolling in riches during the Depression, one might think the good fortune is going to continue. Certainly Bela Lugosi thought that way. Later, the same happened with less-business-savvy types as Errol Flynn, Abbott and Costello.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm thinking of Trigger in the brothel with Temple, he seems to have mellowed towards her, he liked her but felt his only chance of being with her was by complete control. Of course my mind might be playing tricks on me. On the whole he is one of the worst precode characters.

I can appreciate more the person who has come up from nothing, never had a dime to enjoy, all money being necessary for survival etc and to go from that to Hollywood riches and that someone being reckless, spending like there is no tomorrow, giving money away, etc. these were tough times too, banks having runs on them, a war looming, a dperession that seemed to have no end and a golden town called Hollywood where the higher ranks were somewhat sheltered. I can understand it. Although I'd like to think if it was me I'd have behaved a little more like Fred MacMurray and put some away for a rainy day. I'm not sure who has the best time though, the person who saves and invests or the person who enjoys themselves.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Reminds me of when tightwad Groucho Marx lost most of his savings during the Crash of '29. To console him, spendthrift brother Chico said both were now basically in the same boat, although Chico had had more fun getting rid of his loot.

I can't imagine MacMurray getting great enjoyment out of his wealth when he squeezed the complete worth out of each nickel. So he was apparently worth (and I made a mistake previously) $400 million through investments and such when he died.

You can't take it with you.

Raymond Burr said it best. When he worked with Errol Flynn on a picture, Flynn (believe it or not) told Ray that if he died holding on to even a hundred bucks, he'd know he never lived his life properly. Ray took that to heart and, while he, too, died a wealthy man, he also was very generous in sharing his good fortune.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Or my Greek spouse's grandfather's attitude: Better to die owing them than them owing you.

Are the Germans aware of this?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

The older I get, the more I appreciate the ways of Errol Flynn, George Raft etc, they earned it, they should spend it. I don't know whether it's just an older generation thing here but there is pride in passing on money to your children (that's if you don't have to pay for nursing homes in older age) I keep telling my parents to spend it before it's spent for them but it's a mindset I can't penetrate.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I watched th first 2 parts of Night World listed on youtube then it tantalisingly tells me to visit another site where they want $15 for the movie. No doing I'm afraid at the moment. A pity, it looks very good from what I could see, Boris Karloff, George Raft, Lew Ayres and Mae Clarke and some great precode scenes. One day some nice person might upload the whole film.
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I watched th first 2 parts of Night World listed on youtube then it tantalisingly tells me to visit another site where they want $15 for the movie.
Shameful youtube bait! :( I'd love to see that film.
charliechaplinfan

Me too, I'd love to have more money to spend on my movie watching too but even if I could justify the purchase I bet they wouldn't ship it here.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ohh, that's too bad! What a shame.
charliechaplinfan

I'll get over it, it's not like I'm stuck for things to watch, with the things I've recorded and been sent I have plenty to occupy myself and perhaps by the time I've watched them all this movie might either have been shown on TCM or it might be available here. Naughty company on youtube :roll:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've had it happen before recently and it's a not very nice practice.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Fingers crossed that TCM starts showing more of the Paramount 30s library.

Wow, didn't know that posters on YouTube employed such devious tactics. Reckon nowadays it's anything to make a buck.

BTW: NIGHT WORLD really isn't that great a flick. Most interesting to me, besides the quick scene between George and Boris when the former enters the club, is the behind-the-scenes story of when Lew Ayres belted Raft oncamera and Raft responded by really throwing a right into poor Ayres. Can't imagine the two became best buddies after that . . . a list that also includes Wallace Beery, Edward G. Robinson, Peter Lorre . . . and maybe even a few other co-players.
charliechaplinfan

And Lew Ayres was probably one of the nicest guys in movies. Perhaps the laws of the street gang ran deep with George and it took him a while to get it out of his system, well mostly, punching Edward G Robinson was not the action of an impetous young man and even they made up. He must have had considerable charm to be able to get back in the good books with all these people (apart from Wallace Beery, from what I've read I'm glad someone punched him)

I did get to see the scene between Boris and George in Night World and the opening montage, it promised quite a lot, I'm glad it didn't deliver seeing as I only got the first 20 minutes.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, let's not forget that Georgie was both insecure and pretty pugnacious in those early days. Lew may not have pulled his punch as he should and George responded reflexively - his street kid instinct.

Beery was a bully who initiated the onset fight with George. Lorre was a prankster whose blowing smoke in the face "gag" George didn't appreciate.

I think George was just intimidated by Robinson (and there was always the rumor that Eddie had the same infatuation for Miss Dietrich as George -- some jealousy, perhaps -- Nah. George couldn't have been that insecure).

Then there were the gals: Alison Skipworth and Miriam Hopkins. Producer Benjamin Glazer . . .
charliechaplinfan

What about Alison Skipworth?

I've always wondered about movie punches, I'm sure there must be a special skill to it, to make it look authentic and there must be accidents. I'm sure if I had to give one I'd be so worried about hurting the person that it would look ineffectual. If I were to receive one I'd be even worse, I couldn't look casual to save my life.

There is an irony about the on screen punchups? Wasn't George so reluctant to be rough with Marlene that when he'd been convinced it actually went wrong and she fell badly and broke her ankle. Anyone would have felt bad about that.