Re: Memes

Post by Masha »

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: September 10th, 2023, 1:09 am Image

:)
This photo reminds me of something I see at the park: a bird looking at a sideview mirror: I seen a few and they look like they are trying to bite their own reflection. I've seen them play with such a mirror for many minutes.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 10th, 2023, 1:45 pm This photo reminds me of something I see at the park: a bird looking at a sideview mirror: I seen a few and they look like they are trying to bite their own reflection. I've seen them play with such a mirror for many minutes.
It's a real problem here upstate with Pileated Woodpeckers. If you live in rural areas, you fold your car mirrors when parked. If they don't fold in, they are covered in plastic bags.
Masha wrote: September 10th, 2023, 11:10 am Image
This reminds me of when kids see my old #302 phone and ask what it is:

I tell them it's a telephone and they don't believe me. So I have them call my number. It rasps instead of "rings" and they have no idea how to pick up the receiver. But they're always intrigued at how heavy it is & to hear a voice talking to them through it.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: September 11th, 2023, 6:06 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 10th, 2023, 1:45 pm This photo reminds me of something I see at the park: a bird looking at a sideview mirror: I seen a few and they look like they are trying to bite their own reflection. I've seen them play with such a mirror for many minutes.
It's a real problem here upstate with Pileated Woodpeckers. If you live in rural areas, you fold your car mirrors when parked. If they don't fold in, they are covered in plastic bags.
Masha wrote: September 10th, 2023, 11:10 am Image
This reminds me of when kids see my old #302 phone and ask what it is:

I tell them it's a telephone and they don't believe me. So I have them call my number. It rasps instead of "rings" and they have no idea how to pick up the receiver. But they're always intrigued at how heavy it is & to hear a voice talking to them through it.
I'm about to turn 60 and I haven't even seen this model of desk phone in person - only on TV and in films or photos of a bygone era. We had the ubiquitous standard Western Electric 500 desk phone (in beige) - which also was quite heavy - until we upgraded to a beige TouchTone 2500 phone around 1972.

My grandmother insisted on a rotary phone when she sold her home and moved into an apartment in the early 1990s. We weren't even sure the phone company still rented phones, much less rotary phones, but they did. She hated TouchTone phones for some reason.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:35 am I'm about to turn 60 and I haven't even seen this model of desk phone in person - only on TV and in films or photos of a bygone era.
We're the same age, this model was before our time. I bought it for the nostalgia factor of seeing it in movies.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I remember this before the modular phone plug.
Also grew up in an old house with 2 prong only electrical outlets.
I’m 66.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Masha

Post by Masha »

This the first model of telephone apparatus which I remember in the home. It must have been early 1960s. My father had been deemed sufficiently important in his position that he should not have to rely on the public telephone in the lobby.

There is a scene in: Bernard and the Genie (1991) which is quite precious. Bernard is calling his home in hopes that the Genie will come to rescue him. The Genie has been in his lamp for approx. two thousand years and so does not know why the lump on the desk is ringing. The Genie discovers by accident that dislodging the receiver stops the ringing. Lenny Henry plays it perfectly!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: September 11th, 2023, 1:29 pm This the first model of telephone apparatus which I remember in the home. It must have been early 1960s. My father had been deemed sufficiently important in his position that he should not have to rely on the public telephone in the lobby.

There is a scene in: Bernard and the Genie (1991) which is quite precious. Bernard is calling his home in hopes that the Genie will come to rescue him. The Genie has been in his lamp for approx. two thousand years and so does not know why the lump on the desk is ringing. The Genie discovers by accident that dislodging the receiver stops the ringing. Lenny Henry plays it perfectly!
That phone predates the 1960s, even the 1950s, that is an old, old phone. I grew up in the 50s (even late 40s) and never saw the likes of that thing.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Speaking of really, really old, I think laffite probably knows what this is:
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: September 11th, 2023, 1:49 pm
Masha wrote: September 11th, 2023, 1:29 pm This the first model of telephone apparatus which I remember in the home. It must have been early 1960s. My father had been deemed sufficiently important in his position that he should not have to rely on the public telephone in the lobby.

That phone predates the 1960s, even the 1950s, that is an old, old phone. I grew up in the 50s (even late 40s) and never saw the likes of that thing.
It is: Багта-50 manufactured in: 1955. They were in use well into the 1970s.
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: September 11th, 2023, 3:29 pm
laffite wrote: September 11th, 2023, 1:49 pm

It is: Багта-50 manufactured in: 1955. They were in use well into the 1970s.
Are you referring to somewhere other than the U.S? I'm guessing yes. Is the first letter in your description from the Russian alphabet? Thanks.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Ever listen in on your dad's phone conversations he had with the local Komissar? ;)

(...or would that have gotten you in trouble?...and NOT with just your dad of course)

LOL
Last edited by Dargo on September 11th, 2023, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.