What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
JackFavell

Re: What are you reading?

Post by JackFavell »

I just tried to buy Chaplin's Girl for my kindle, but it is only available to UK customers.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

How strange is that? Surely if it's in a kindle format for one country it's easy to format it for another plus you'd think the publishers would want to release to as many markets as possible. Can yo purchase kindle books from the UK site? I know I couldn't by a kindle from the American site.

It's worth hiring from the library.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought it was odd as well. You'd think they would have wanted to crossover, oh the possibilities! Perhaps they were not bright enough to think ahead about world markets.

I looked for it in other formats, but I think this was a UK only published book. I found it at Amazon UK, and it costs a lot more for the actual book than for the kindle version.... plus shipping. Ebay has it for a minimal price, plus shipping, but I have to investigate further, it seems too good to be true.
charliechaplinfan

I wonder why they would only publish in the UK? Perhaps there is some issue with copyright or libel? How strange.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

After reading Elizbeth Gaskell's novellas "My Lady Ludlow" and "Cousin Phillis" I'm reading Michael Korda's "Charmed Lives" (1979), a very enlightening book about the lives of the three Korda brothers.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I haven't read a book in years.

And then I got a belated birthday gift from my friend: "GOAL DUST: The Warm and Candid Memoirs of a Pioneer Black Athlete and Actor - Woody Strode and Sam Young."

I squealed and hugged the book, a reaction that shocked me more than my friend as he sat there with a self-satisfying look on his face at knowing me, especially since we were in a crowded restaurant.

<< (( Sigh! )) >>

I am a happy Maven. :D
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh, what a great gift! Let me know how it is! I was looking at it some months ago, but never bought it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'll let you know how the book is Wendy, if I survive.

...If I survive.

Pssst! Don't tell Stevie. :oops:

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It's a great read, I got it myself a couple of years ago.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I know a BRONXGIRL who would love these photos!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u]MissGoddess[/u][/b] wrote:It's a great read, I got it myself a couple of years ago.
I'm now looking forward to commuting so I can read the book.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

hubba hubba!
charliechaplinfan

I've been reading loads lately and one book I really enjoyed was The Help by Kathryn Stockett, recently made into a movie I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a quick read but with a conscience. Very well constructed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The kindle has actually been a great investment, leading me to all sorts of books I would have probably never have thought to get had it required a trip to the library. I hate to say this, since I love my library, but I love the kindle!

Recently, I was re-reading the Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, the first of which, WHOSE BODY? has a lovely annotated edition available. It was such fun reading the extensive notes about everything from gentlemen's clubs of the twenties, to the inner workings of antique book collecting, to George Joseph Smith, the Brides-in-the-Bath murderer. A great boon to Sayers fans, I wish they would add more annotated editions to her collected works.

This led me to find the Sexton Blake Mysteries, a series started in the late 1800's-early 1900's, and carried on (I think) to this day by different authors, similar to the Nancy Drew mysteries. Dorothy Sayers was a big fan of Sexton Blake as well as of Trent's Last Case, which I also got for free after reading about her tastes at the end of the notes to WHOSE BODY?

My daughter is experiencing the rush of reading Around the World in Eighty Days, which may just be the most spellbinding, edge of your seat, entertaining book in all of literature. She literally can't wait till the next night's reading, and I am caught up again in the wonderful story of Phileas Fogg and my darling Passepartout... we take turns reading aloud before bedtime, and a night doesn't go by where she doesn't say, "AWWWW MOM! Just a little more?" when it's time to stop reading.

Oh just in case you are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Joseph_Smith
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wendy, coincidentally I found this movie on TCM's June schedule, a Robert Montgomery title I've never seen and apparently based on a Lord Peter Wimsey character:

Haunted Honeymoon

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2318/Haunted-Honeymoon/
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers