Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Re: Do You Know Me?

Post by jdb1 »

Another beautiful summer day of the kind we don't get very often here in New York. Looks like rain is in the forecast for the next few days, but anything's better than that July inferno we had. Another Mystery Guest steps up to the microphone:

Do you know me?

I was born in the Pacific Northwest, and studied to be a dancer. However, I had a few small roles in regional theater in dramatic parts, and I decided being an actress was good, too. I made my way to Broadway when I was still a teen, and got work right away. A successful movie producer saw me, and he brought me out to Hollywood to star in one of his talking pictures. However, at the last moment the part went to Loretta Young.

Another studio took me on, and I got co-starring roles . I made a great many movies in a short amount of time. I met and married a Hollywood screenwriter, and together we decided to move to his native country. I spent the rest of my life there, making movies and having a very distinguished stage career. I returned to the US once in a while to make a film, be in a play and do occasional television as well. I was in a very early TV production in my adopted country. It's not likely very many people there had televisions, but then, it wasn't likely many people in the US had televisions at that time either. Late in my career I won a Tony for a Broadway appearance.

In my early Hollywood days I made all kinds of movies, and worked with such diverse co-stars as George Raft, Walter Huston, Boris Karloff, and even Harold Lloyd. And I did get to play a dancer in one movie musical as well. In my adopted country I worked with the most revered actors of the day.

My best known film is something of a fantasy, written by a very famous contemporary countryman of my husband's. It was a big hit on stage, and was as big a hit in the US as it was in my country of residence. I had a long and prolific career, and lived to be 95.

Who am I?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Are you Constance Cummings?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I had totally forgotten about Ann B.Davis, "Shultzie", and her mad love for Bob. She was usually his stumbling block in pursuit of female companionship....it was a funny show, and just a wee bit naughty by that time's standards.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Are you Constance Cummings?
Correct, Nando!

The Seattle-born Cummings was well on her way to a significant Broadway career when she was brought to Hollywood by Samuel Goldwyn. He decided not to give her the part he had intended her for, but she got a contract at Columbia, and made quite a few movies in the early 30s.

Cummings married English playwright/screenwriter Benn Levy in 1933, and by 1935, they had had enough of Hollywood and went to live in England, where Cummings continued to make movies and also to star in the many plays Levy wrote for her. Levy wrote the dialogue for Hitchcock's first talkie, Blackmail. He also wrote the play Ever Green, which was made into the musical Evergreen, starring Jessie Matthews. He as listed as "Additional Dialogue" for the 1935 James Whale screwball comedy Remember Last Night?, one of the wackiest screwballs ever. Cummings had the female lead in that one opposite Robert Young, and she was terrific.

Cummings was a big star in England in plays, movies and television, and returned to the US once in a while in all three of those media. She appeared in Noel Coward's Blithe Spirit in London, and played the same role, that of Rex Harrison's wife, in the film. That is probably her best-known role here in the US.

Cummings co-starred with just about all of the major theater and movie stars in Britain, won numerous awards for her work, and also won a Tony in the 1970s for her role on Broadway in an Arthur Kopit play called Wings. Cummings' husband served as a member of Parliament from 1945-1950, and Cummings herself was named a Commander of the British Empire in 1974. A fruitful life.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hello, all. A wet and dreary day in NYC today. Please turn your attention to our next Mystery Guest:

You won't find too much biographical information on me, but I can tell you that I loved entertaining, and started out as a young man on the showboats of the Mississippi. I soon made my way to Broadway, where I rose to some prominence, and was offered a Hollywood contract. I played a few character parts at one studio, and was picked up by another, where I spent most of my career as a part of their extensive character company.

I wasn't much to look at, so I usually played the role of the good-natured, middle-tier kind of guy. I was the shopkeeper, the bank teller, the salesman. Sometimes I was the gullible rich guy -- I was particularly popular in that role. I quickly became a second lead playing such parts, and I was kissed, cuddled and cooed to by many of Hollywood's prettiest girls.

I was loaned out from time to time by my studio. I had a few starring roles. I was in an obscure series of B pictures where I played a kindly shopkeeper, but no one remembers those now. One of my favorite roles was as a foster parent to the No. 1 box office star of the time. I also played a role based on a very popular book about a man whose name came to signify mindless materialism.

My son was an eminent educator, whose career centered mainly around New York City. There is even a culinary dish named for me. Who am I?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Is it Guy Kibbee?
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Guy Kibbee is correct!

Kibbee was for years the good-natured patsy in so many films and was the naive millionaire theater angel in several Goldiggers-type movies. Sometimes his character was not so nice, but mostly he was the sweet, slightly befuddled little guy.

Kibbee played the lead in the RKO series based on the Scattergood Baines radio show. Baines was a downhome hardware store owner whose store was the social center of the town of Coldriver (supposedly in Michigan). Kibbee also played a rare lead in the film version of Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt, a name which became synonymous with the agressive, glad-handing American materialism of the 1920s. (Remember Auntie Mame accusing her social-climbing nephew Patrick of becoming too "Babbitty?")

In one old film, Kibbee fried a fried egg inside of a circle which had been cut out of a piece of bread. That dish became known as a "Guy Kibbee." Wonder if you can get it at any diners nowadays?

Kibbee's son, Robert J., was involved in university education, and was the Chancellor of the City University of New York, as well as president of Brooklyn College, part of the CUNY system. The library at our local Brooklyn community college is named for him.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, didn't Cher cook a Guy Kibbee egg in "Moonstruck"?
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's a Mystery Guest I've been thinking of including for some time, but he is very hard to make clues for. But --- let's give it a go.

I came from an illustrious Southern family who had high hopes for me as a professional man, but I fell in love with acting while at college, and made that my life's work.

I have about 100+ screen appearances to my credit, and dozens of stage appearances, on Broadway and elsewhere, too. However, I'm one of those whose face you know well, but maybe not my name, and you probably don't know much about me.

Here are some clues to narrow it down:

I was good-looking, and played second leads in film in most of my earlier work. After a long period of getting nowhere as a leading man, I started doing more character work, although my character was the debonnaire, classy sort. At least I got to play an interesting villain or two.

I used two different names throughout my career. I started out with my real name and then changed it to something more leading man-sounding. Then I changed back to the real one. I always acted on the stage under my real name.

I did a great deal of television, from that medium's earliest days well into the 1980s. There, too I was sometimes the gentleman, sometimes the villain. I was a regular on several soap operas.

My two most significant movie roles were that of a famous literary figure, and as a man who saw through a potentially dangerous public figure and did something about it. The first role, which was a starring part, didn't come to much, but the second movie described was a hit and is still shown today.

Who am I?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Hal Holbrook?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ChiO wrote:Hal Holbrook?
No, sorry, ChiOman. Our MG is older than that. As I said, it's hard to come up with factual material for this MG -- it's really all professional resume'.

Let's see -- in his biggest starring role, our MG co-starred with an amazingly prolific character actor who is still around, and who, according to a family member, co-starrred with everyone in Hollywood. The movie purports to be biographical, but is mostly fanciful, and deals with a famous 19th Century American.

Another big hint: when our MG changed his name for a time, he used his real first name as his last name.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

MacDonald Carey?

and Joe, it was Olympia DuKakis, who played Cher's mom, who fried that egg. Always wanted to know exactly how to do that.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

No, Nance, not Carey either. Our MG is not quite as leading a light as Carey.

Our MG's best-known role is probably that of a disillusioned and cuckolded political assassin in a film that garnered several Oscars. Sadly, none for our MG.

He was also very creepy in a Twilight Zone episode about repressing painful memories.

I hope someone can name our MG soon, because I'm running out of clues that don't specifically describe his movie roles.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

OK, OK. I told you this was going to be a difficult one. I don't know how much longer I can continue this without simply posting a photo, and maybe even then you might not know this ubiquitous actor's name. I guess I'll have to think of one more clue, or write about this minor but very busy actor nevermore. :wink:

(Who's literary? Who's getting this? I know you're out there.)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

James Gregory?