MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I thought HARVEY was coming up at 8 p.m. EST.

I want my pooka!!

"....and how are you, Mr. Wilson?"
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

so.....Tonight, my DTV prime sched. shows "Odds...", "Harvey" & "La Cage aux Folles"
:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Shari Belafonte was absolutely great as the guest programmer and co-host this evening.

Loved her picks, and loved that she was so outgoing and knowledgeable in her conversations with Eddie Muller.

TCM did well by tapping her for this gig.

(...would love to see her as a regular host, in fact)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thanks, ziggy! I got the times mixed up but was surely not suffering with ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW as the first up. Great film, can never go wrong with Robert Ryan and man that b&w photography! Love Robert Wise.

Hey, Dargo! Yes, Shari was a delight. Wished she had picked something a bit more vintage than LA CAGE AUX FOLLES but viewers cannot have everything.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

"more vintage"?

Like what, perhaps?

Sepiatone
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hi, Sepiatone! I tend to get very judgemental with these guest programmers, lol, always wanting them to pick their favorites from a more quirky perspective and not so much the mainstream (which I categorize LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, even though I like it and the American counterpart THE BIRDCAGE -- Hank Azaria and Gene Hackman are hilarious!) As for "vintage", well, stuff from the '20's, '30's, '40's, going into the '50's and early '60's.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 12th, 2023, 6:39 pm Hi, Sepiatone! I tend to get very judgemental with these guest programmers, lol, always wanting them to pick their favorites from a more quirky perspective and not so much the mainstream (which I categorize LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, even though I like it and the American counterpart THE BIRDCAGE -- Hank Azaria and Gene Hackman are hilarious!) As for "vintage", well, stuff from the '20's, '30's, '40's, going into the '50's and early '60's.
I admit to being confused about the use of vintage, combined with LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, because the play came out in 1973. I.e., there couldn't have been a film released previous to the play, and, like you, "vintage" is prior to the 70s.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

How is everyone doing, weather-wise? We are in the mid-nineties here in South Florida and I long for movies with ice, snow, glaciers, blizzards.....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 12th, 2023, 6:58 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 12th, 2023, 6:39 pm Hi, Sepiatone! I tend to get very judgemental with these guest programmers, lol, always wanting them to pick their favorites from a more quirky perspective and not so much the mainstream (which I categorize LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, even though I like it and the American counterpart THE BIRDCAGE -- Hank Azaria and Gene Hackman are hilarious!) As for "vintage", well, stuff from the '20's, '30's, '40's, going into the '50's and early '60's.
I admit to being confused about the use of vintage, combined with LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, because the play came out in 1973. I.e., there couldn't have been a film released previous to the play, and, like you, "vintage" is prior to the 70s.

Yes, the '70's for me I consider "modern", lol, even though I have favorites going into the '90's.  
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 10th, 2023, 7:29 pm We must seek out that mysterious ONE, TWO, THREE review! The gods (including Larry Olivier as Zeus) will be furious otherwise!

"Do you think that you could get like a camera from him at like a discount?"
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Did catch Sheri Belafonte 's words after La Cage (the only one of her three I hadn't seen before). She certainly seemed bright and intelligent, a good guest host. I remember that she had a small role on Hotel back in the 80s (I saw a handful of episodes), and I also know that her real-life husband played an absolute psychopath on Knots Landing (his character was a rapist, wife-abusive, hit-and-run driving, murderous narcissist sociopath), which must have made him one of the more hated men in America in the 1989-1990 TV season.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 13th, 2023, 12:26 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 10th, 2023, 7:29 pm We must seek out that mysterious ONE, TWO, THREE review! The gods (including Larry Olivier as Zeus) will be furious otherwise!

"Do you think that you could get like a camera from him at like a discount?"

"I didn't ask him for a camera...."
"Because you already had one, right? You sly fox....."
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 12th, 2023, 7:01 pm How is everyone doing, weather-wise? We are in the mid-nineties here in South Florida and I long for movies with ice, snow, glaciers, blizzards.....
It's been hot as hell even up here in the higher elevations of northern AZ, Bronxie.

We start our tennis matches at 7:30am this time of year in order to not play in really excessive heat, but it was already 85F this morning when I arrived to the courts and by the time we were finished at 10am it was 95F. But as they say around here, "at least it's a dry heat".

And yes, there IS a reason why that old saying rings true. Get in shade in 95F temps in dry heat, and it feels 10 degrees cooler. Get in shade in a more humid climate, doesn't make much of a difference as you probably know.

(...oh and btw...I played lights-out this morning...boy, was I hittin' the ball well today...yep, even at the ripe old age of 71, I'm STILL fast as hell out there on the courts and can still run down a lot of shots...and thus, I don't see me having to switch to that more stand around Pickleball game anytime soon that all my fellow Boomers seem to be playin' now days...all modesty aside here, of course) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: July 13th, 2023, 6:01 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 12th, 2023, 7:01 pm How is everyone doing, weather-wise? We are in the mid-nineties here in South Florida and I long for movies with ice, snow, glaciers, blizzards.....
It's been hot as hell even up here in the higher elevations of northern AZ, Bronxie.

We start our tennis matches at 7:30am this time of year in order to not play in really excessive heat, but it was already 85F this morning when I arrived to the courts and by the time we were finished at 10am it was 95F. But as they say around here, "at least it's a dry heat".

And yes, there IS a reason why that old saying rings true. Get in shade in 95F temps in dry heat, and it feels 10 degrees cooler. Get in shade in a more humid climate, doesn't make much of a difference as you probably know.

(...oh and btw...I played lights-out this morning...boy, was I hittin' the ball well today...yep, even at the ripe old age of 71, I'm STILL fast as hell out there on the courts and can still run down a lot of shots...and thus, I don't see me having to switch to that more stand around Pickleball game anytime soon that all my fellow Boomers seem to be playin' now days...all modesty aside here, of course) ;)
This is how I picture you on the court, Dargo.

Btw, it's hot here in NYC, but no hotter than usual for this time of year. Up until a couple of weeks ago, it has actually been a rather mild summer.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: July 14th, 2023, 12:10 pm

This is how I picture you on the court, Dargo.

Btw, it's hot here in NYC, but no hotter than usual for this time of year. Up until a couple of weeks ago, it has actually been a rather mild summer.
LOL

Oh, well THAT'S only how I dress to play tennis in the WINTERTIME around here Swithin, and when it might be only 45-50 degrees when we start playin' at around noon. It helps keep me warm this way during that time of year, ya see! ;)

(...btw...we Arizonians..ahem..I mean we Arizonans ;) actually had one of the most pleasant of Springs around here up until the very end of June, and with temps on average about 10 degrees cooler than usual for this time of year...too bad that couldn't have lasted...we're now waiting for our Monsoon season to begin and which helps cool it down a bit...it's kind of late coming this summer, as it usually starts by the first week of July)