This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Last edited by jdb1 on April 26th, 2008, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

:oops:
Last edited by jdb1 on April 26th, 2008, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Trivia that I'm sure some of us will know. Shakespeare died on his own birthday. I'm sure other famous personages did too but he's the only one I can think of.
I forgot to mention to you the other day that I believe Edna May Oliver passed away on her birthday. Well, I suppose that brings thing full circle.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

An April 25th birthday:

An elegant Ella
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Happy birthday Ella!

She was one of the best, I think. I can listen to her recordings forever.
melwalton

Hodges

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Judith.
I read your post on Gil Hodges and was surprised at the adulation. He was certainly a good man but I would've thought those plaudits would have been for Wheat, Vance, Reese, Robinson or Koufax.
I'm not a Dodger fan. I was living in Hell's Kitchen when I discovered baseball ( what Alice Faye called 'Double 5 th, ave ,) so, naturally I root for the hated Giants. I always thought Hodges likeable. Incidentally, I saw his first major league home run. 1947 Ebbets Field. Reason I knew it was his first, it was his rookie year and he had only one that season.
They really stirred things up with that 'rivalry'. the execs wanted to sell tickets and the reporters needed to have something to write about.
.... mel

Change is the only constant

They told me. 'Cheer up, things could be a lot worse, so I cheered up and they were right, Things got a lot worse.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hodges was a decorated soldier (or sailor, or Marine, not sure which), had a reputation as a real gentleman, and chose to live in Brooklyn, when many other of his teammates opted for posher suburbs.

I was too young, really, to know what the basis of the adulation was, but I definitely remember that Gil Hodges was always thought of as one of the Prides of Brooklyn.
Last edited by jdb1 on May 1st, 2008, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Today, the delightful Danielle Darrieux is celebrating her 91st birthday! :D
A very happy birthday to a great actress and a great lady! 8)

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Happy Birthday Danielle :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Birthday Girl

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Once again, the New York Times online has missed the mark in its Born on This Day section. At least they were smart enough to list the birthday of Yogi Berra today, but they left out The Great Kate.

This is more than just a fan thing -- the whole idea of their birthdays feature is to mark the birthdays of notable Americans of influence. I notice that they have listed the Sweeten twins and a few other flash-in-the-pan under 40s no one will remember in the next five minutes. Oh, I just hate such carelessness.

Of course I wrote to the editors of the page. I was remembering my high school history teacher, who told us we must protest even small injustices if they disturbed us enough, and that we should strike just the correct note of "righteous indignation," one of his favorite phrases. I'm sure he'd be glad to know that even one of his students took that advice to heart. After all, it worked before, when I got the Times online to include Oliver Hardy's birthday for the January 18 listing. I told them this time that they ought to review their notable birthday listings with an eye toward who really matters in American culture. I'd vote for Yogi Berra (or even Yogi Bear) over the Sweeten twins any day.

Power to the people, and happy birthday Kate!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thank You Judith ! :)
charliechaplinfan

How old would Kate have been. Has she reached her centenary yet?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:How old would Kate have been. Has she reached her centenary yet?
Many different birth years were put forth (by her studio, and by Hepburn herself, who for years made herself five years younger than she actually was), but it appears she was born in 1907, so last year was her centenary year. She also, for many years, gave her birthday as November 8, which was actually the birthday of her older brother (the one who hanged himself, either accidentally or deliberately).

Apparently, May 12, 1907 is the actual date of her birth, but who knows, really?
charliechaplinfan

How strange to use a dead brother's birthday. :shock: