Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

Re: Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Post by jdb1 »

MissGoddess wrote:Hi Judith---if you're in Brooklyn keep in mind Moraldo's time postings were Pacific.
All the Fan Programmer slots start at 8:00 p.m. Eastern. :)
Oh, good - thanks, all, for alerting me. It's hard enough figuring out the time from this website; with the old version as well, the times never comport to real East Coast time no matter how I adjust the settings. It always looks as though all of us were up all night typing away.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for that specific schedule up there. My throwin' arm will be warmed up. I've got sheets of plastic splayed about so I can chunk all the rotting fruits and veggies at all these pals as they appear, jealous as I am! I'm hoping to freeze-frame most of them and draw mustaches and goatees, too. Wifey has suggested a Judge Julius Hoffman approach of binding and gagging me if I can't sit still and play nice. Darn. She never lets me have any fun. Or else she makes me clean it up, afterwards.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ollie, if you don't mind, please throw only the best when I'm on---preferrably something
blonde, bubbly and expensive. :P
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

blonde, bubbly and expensive.

Ms.G, I've heard that description of YOU!!!! Congrats, and we'll try to control the Ollie-meister
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Teresa,

I have just watched your debut and thought you did wonderfully.
Your camera presence was first rate and you spoke very well and made your point accurately.

I must agree with you about "The Letter"... After seeing Bette Davis in some films in the fifties, I wasn't that taken with her really. I liked her well enough but could live without her!!!

Then around 1966, TV showed "The Letter" and I thought she was grand. So understated in her performance - it's all in her eyes and that knitting to a certain extent. And, after viewing many, many more films of hers, I still think "The Letter" is her best.
"All About Eve" and "The Little Foxes" are quite good too, but she does bring in her mannerisms in both of those more than I'd like.

Gale Sondergaard is excellent here too. I never quite understood why she won her Oscar for "Anthony Adverse" as she wasn't in it long enough and only had 2 lines as I recall; unless she has been pared down in TV viewings.
But, here she very easily could have won for this chilling emotting. Even 70 years later, she scares the hell out of me....

Just wanted to say - Congratulations on your teledebut!!!

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Cinemaven,

You were awesome tonight! You looked beautiful, you sounded great and you made all the points you wanted to.

Congrats on a terrific debut!

I know you're at a party and I hope you are having fun!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Cinemaven:

If everyone comes off as well as you did, this site will receive many kudos for their membership, which makes all of us look good.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Filmlover,

You were great tonight talking about a film that obviously meant so much to you. You held your own and no one would guess that you were nervous.

You looked great and seemed so comfortable and relaxed and having a wonderful time talking with Robert O.

Up later this evening, our very own MissG introducing the film that TCM debuted with 15 years ago today, Gone With the Wind and she does it justice many times over!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Do you hear that distant quiet roar?

It's the wave of joy that is building among many TCM viewers for each one of our own as, one by one, the Fan Programmers step into the arena and prove their movielovin' mettle. Metaphorically at least, Theresa, Lani and Peter all deserve to be drawn through the TCM City streets on the back of a golden chariot with rose petals strewn in your path for your splendid kick-off of this stellar week. You were each so articulate and immaculately groomed, (good choices on the clothes too), I was mightily impressed. Most importantly, you so clearly conveyed your love of the film that each of you chose to spotlight as well as your understandable disbelief about sitting opposite Robert Osborne. You done us proud, kids.

Really a spectacular trifecta of debut presentations! I can't wait for tonight's follow-up on the actual birthday anniversary of TCM with the following lineup. It will be wonderful to see Miss G. on screen and to "meet" Lisa and Rome as well:

Tuesday, April 14

8:00pm ET/5:00pm PT
Miss Goddess
Gone with the Wind (1939)

12:00am ET/9:00pm PT
Lisa Mordente
Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

2:00 am ET/11:00pm PT
Rome Mendheim
Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

I'm so delighted for each of you--it's a bit like the always miraculous sight of seeing a garden bloom before your eyes. Unbelievably wondrous.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Well, I am seriously "peed-off"!!!
I stayed up to watch Peter (filmlover) and his movie "Those Lips, Those Eyes", which I'd never seen before and had my chicken wings heated & my diet coke cooled - and - no Peter, no movie!!!!!
Here in Canada, we were given "Stork Club" with Betty Hutton, for which I actually screamed out loud, "What the F"......

I feel discriminated against - - and if you think an old white man cannot be discriminated against, well here I am. I know it's not the same as any other vile discrimination(s) but I've just been spit on....

So Peter, I never got to see you and I hate that as you are one of my favourites - on a higher movie caste than so many over at TCM's now sullied board.....
I'm hoping that someone can UTube your comments on here, however that is done. I'd be ever so grateful.
I'm sure you were great as was Teresa and all I can say is "BRAVO"....

Larry
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I really enjoyed the "real people" last night. It's always exciting to see people you know, or sort of know, on TV. I was especially pleased with RO who, I thought, struck just the right note with each guest. I was a little worried that he might appear condescending, as interviewers sometimes can be with non-celebrities. But no, it was film fan to film fan in every case.

I think this segment is a wonderful idea, and it is so good for viewers to see that it's OK for just plain folks to like old movies. Can't wait for the debut of the lovely MissG.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Theresa, Lani and Peter did so OUTSTANDINGLY well---I was much more impressed
with them than a lot of the "celebrity" guest programmers TCM has had!! Oh my goodness,
you guys started this week off with a bang and I'm honored to be counted among you.

Here's to the gent who picked my favorite Cagney film, and who occasionally pops in
at the TCM board to visit our Fan Programmer thread:

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I really enjoyed THE LETTER for the first time ever, since I've usually avoided Bette Davis films. But with CM's prompting, I very much enjoyed this film. THOSE EYES THOSE LIPS was a first-time for me as well, and I enjoyed seeing these great fans intro the films.

As for my insisted food-throwing, that was derailed. As the tomatoes and onions were being readied, I noticed the avocados were perfectly ripe. Pretty soon, we had guacamole and I sure wasn't going to waste THAT on these posters! No way!!

I promised I'd wait for MissG, but I discovered we've got just enough ingredients left over for another night's batch, too. Darn. Pass the chips, eh?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

CineMaven - I would only like to echo the sentiments of the rest:
you were simply fantastic! Brilliantly articulate and beautiful to
boot! A true credit to cinephiles everywhere; congratulations! Am
looking forward to MissGodess this evening!
[youtube][/youtube]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey there Pappy's Gal!

You were great. I'd forgotten how charming your laugh is!

You did a great intro about the differences between the book and the movie as well as your love of TCM!

Break open that bottle of bubbly and enjoy your movie and see you when it's over!

Remember, all of us are just as pleased as punch that you had the anniversary movie!
Lynn in Lake Balboa