klondike

Post by klondike »

Hollis wrote:
Speaking for "The Voice" (and myself)

Hollis
. . pennies in a stream;

. . ski trails down a mountainside . .

moonlight in Vermont . .

Yep, sooner or later, he sang for all of us; and when I kick back in the deep purple to give a listen, just pour me a double of 18-yr-old Jameson over 2 cubes in a fat-fanny rocks. 8)
And leave the bottle, amigo.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Klondike wrote:
just pour me a double of 18-yr-old Jameson over 2 cubes in a fat-fanny rocks.
Ice cubes? Ice cubes?!? ICE CUBES!!! With 18-yr old Jameson? Traitor. Which reminds me....

1981: I'd just moved into the city. My best friend in law school (no names, but his initials are Patrick Duffy - 'nuff said) decides to treat me to my first real Irish bar in Chicago. The young lady asks what I would like, so I said the first Irish thing that came to mind: Give me a Bushmill's up. I felt a grip on my arm from Mr. Duffy and a cold stare from the lady. We don't serve Bushmill's here. Ever the helpful sort, Duffy said: He'll have a Jameson.

I learned the meaning of "Orange" and I haven't had a drop of Bushmill's in 28 years.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Boy oh boy,

The next thing you know, you'll be telling us to drink Gray Goose Vodka! Since when has anything but the best vodka come from anywhere other than Poland or (I hate to admit it) Russia, and been distilled from anything other than potatoes? Wheat? for crying out loud! Rice! That's best left for sake! But when it comes to anything else, DRINK AMERICAN! Drive German or Swedish if you's like, photograph with a Nikon if you'd prefer, tell time with a Swiss movement, but DRINK AMERICAN! It's your patriotic duty, and easy enough to handle. 'Nuff said!

Once again into the breech,

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote:Klondike wrote:
just pour me a double of 18-yr-old Jameson over 2 cubes in a fat-fanny rocks.
Ice cubes? Ice cubes?!? ICE CUBES!!! With 18-yr old Jameson? Traitor.
For the record, Counselor, I take all my adult beverages at room temp (Guinness included), except for the 18-yr-old Jemmy, because it is one of the very few whiskies I have ever tasted (single malts icluded) that is smooth enough to actually sip, rather than just be shot, as with a boiler maker.
ChiO wrote: Which reminds me.... 1981: I'd just moved into the city. My best friend in law school (no names, but his initials are Patrick Duffy - 'nuff said) decides to treat me to my first real Irish bar in Chicago. The young lady asks what I would like, so I said the first Irish thing that came to mind: Give me a Bushmill's up. I felt a grip on my arm from Mr. Duffy and a cold stare from the lady. We don't serve Bushmill's here. Ever the helpful sort, Duffy said: He'll have a Jameson.
I learned the meaning of "Orange" and I haven't had a drop of Bushmill's in 28 years.
Well, I can certainly see how a disco-coiffed Mick from Atlantis & Dallas would be an irrefutable whisky authority in Reagan-era Chicago ( :roll: :wink: ), but I believe a little History is in order here; John Jameson, the founder of the distillery, wasn't really Irish at all, but rather emigrated from Scotland in the 1750's for the same reason as my 6xGrt Grampa did: to escape the Acts of Proscription resulting from the destruction of the Jacobite army at the massacre at Culloden. Thanks to a not-terribly Highland surname, and some valuable apprenticeship in Alban distilleries, Jemmy found Ulster a land of opportunity, and in 1780 launched the source of ambrosia that has delighted the Gaelic palate ever since . .
As for Bushmills being the politically opposite drink to Jamesons, one should probably bear in mind that for many years now, the Bushmills brand & distillery has been a possession of Jemmy's :shock: . .

And Hollis, as for being patriotic, if I wanted to go 100% that route, I'd keep a still of my own boilin', just like my grandad, or buy locally from Appalachian relatives & neighbors who run such enterprises even today!
(I'm just not sure how well my tongue & liver would like consuming such skull-bust, or what the Windham County sheriff would have to say!)
But, ya know, seeing as how I am driving the same American brand of truck as my grandfather did, and as I choose to run it on gasoline produced & marketed entirely from Western Hemisphere sources, I think I'm doin' pretty well by my flag! 8)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I like a good Pepsi.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Remember Agnes Gooch in Auntie Mame? She preferred Dr. Pepper.

(and the latest vintage of Diet Coke.....delicious!)
bryce

Post by bryce »

You're both wrong. There is no right way to drink Jameson, or, for that matter, any other half-breed whiskey.

or

or

As for my contribution to preferred drinks, aside from the above, Shiner Commemorator (100th anniversary) has to be the best domestically produced beer I've ever had. And it's damned dangerous, too. 6.7%. Bock. Tastes so good you could drink it like Dr. Pepper. Best of all, one of the best heads of any beer I've ever seen.

Spoetzl have really outdone themselves.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

hey you drunkards! move to your own thread, this one's for WHINING!!!!!

the drugs finally kicked in.....
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Jack, Johnny, nor even Jose are friends of mine.
They've left me in awkward positions on cold tile.
Enough said.

How much flack will I get from you people if I suggest a shot of Crown for Knitty's cold?

B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ms. B. I love ya. Actually, I keep Black Jack on hand....for medicinal purposes only, you understand. Or to kill snakes. Or for a cold, I think I'll go self-medicate now..........
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

medicinal purposes only...

Knitty -
I totally understand.
It runs in the family.

B
klondike

Post by klondike »

bryce wrote:You're both wrong. There is no right way to drink Jameson, or, for that matter, any other half-breed whiskey.

or

HA! Who you callin' wrong, Bubba, and who you callin' half-breed?!
The invention of bourbon was about 700 years after true whiskey; bourbon, by legal definition, is at least 51% corn (might as well drink a Coke), and the cheaper Kentucky whiskies (closely related & nearly as sweet) are also all corned-up, and are often blended, mid-process, with rye & wholesale vodka, to help boost the volume.
bryce wrote:
or

Now Laphroaig (pronounced law-FROYG), is a proud & estimable single malt whisky (Scots always drop the e) from the Hebridine isle of Islay, but I find it pales beside a true champion like Highland Park, or Glenlivet Special Reserve. Still though, as ancestrally proud as the mere sight of those makes me feel, I'm a Jemmy's man, t'rough & t'rough!
bryce wrote: As for my contribution to preferred drinks, aside from the above, Shiner Commemorator (100th anniversary) has to be the best domestically produced beer I've ever had. And it's damned dangerous, too. 6.7%. Bock. Tastes so good you could drink it like Dr. Pepper. Best of all, one of the best heads of any beer I've ever seen.

Spoetzl have really outdone themselves.

Bryce, me boy, if you've a hankering for really satisfying beer, you just gotta start making it yourself! Among her many other gifts, Mrs. K is a none-too-shabby home brewer, and just last Spring turned out a kick-*ss batch of porter, that scaled up to a robust 8%, but was very creamy in mouth-feel, and almost too drinkable by friends & fam!
It's nae very hard a'tall; hit the Web, all the info's out there!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

I guess I'm the "Henry Fonda Everyman" of this subject, as I will maintain until my demise that a shot (or tumbler with an ice cube or two) of Jack, followed by my more than 180 year old Yuengling (especially the Black & Tan) will stand up to anyone's challenge. So don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

As always,

Hollis

p.s. I hit the 700 mark with my last post! Time to hoist a Yuengling! Off to the store I go!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hollis wrote:I guess I'm the "Henry Fonda Everyman" of this subject, as I will maintain until my demise that a shot (or tumbler with an ice cube or two) of Jack, followed by my more than 180 year old Yuengling (especially the Black & Tan) will stand up to anyone's challenge. So don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

As always,
Hollis
1) According to several remarks & memoirs by best pal Jimmy Stewart, Hank Fonda was quite snobbish about what he drank, and in his last decade, often as not chose to abstain, and tended to harass anyone around him who didn't (he disliked horses too, so go figure). Best stick to rat-packers for icons here, I guess!
2) Hollis, if the Yuengling you own is 180 years old, I'd sell it on eBay and see if you can't buy a house while you're over there in Europe!
3) I did try Jack Daniels, several different times, on the insistence of a peckerwood cousin of mine, and I found that afterwards, if I gargled repeatedly with bromo-seltzer dissolved in battery acid, I could eventually rid my mouth of the aftertaste, which seemed reminiscent of having given a skunk CPR. Anymore, I prefer to get no closer to the stuff than the lyrics of Gretchen Wilson's All Jacked Up.
But, hey, that's just me, OK? :) :) :) :) :)
knitwit45

Re: The whiny thread

Post by knitwit45 »

I still godda code in by head, and by pipes froze (AGAIN) over the weekend....So with a stuffy nose, at least I can't smell!!!!!! :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock:

good news is, my head is beginning to clear, and we're actually going from 6 degrees today to 60 by Wednesday....
is there a smiley for poor me, poor me? No? OK, guess I'll have to cowgirl up and smile!!!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard