At Random

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Re: At Random

Post by jdb1 »

Hey, y'all -- I forgot to mention earlier that today, October 3, is the date of the annual Oliver Hardy Festival at his birthplace, Harlem, GA. This celebration is now in its 21st year, and attendance has been high. The Harlem website (link below) claims that last year's attendance was 35,000! That's encouraging -- there are still places in the world where L&H are remembered (there is an L&H musem in Harlem as well). I hope I can get to go some time (Harlem is a few miles west of Augusta). I also hope that they are having nicer weather in Harlem than we are having in NYC today (chilly, rainy, dreary).

http://www.harlemga.org/ohfest.htm

A musical interlude from Mr. Hardy and Mr. Laurel:

And a good time was had by all
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

How lovely, Stan Laurel was born about 50 miles from here. They are favorites of mine from childhood.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

No reason. Just felt like it. An uncharacteristically "regular" photo of The King of Cool
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

He looks so much like my late brother in law, it's eerie.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Is that The Blob and Helen Crump to his right?

Yes, Hoosierdom is the incubator of Cool...Steve McQueen, James Dean, Chad Everett.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ChiO wrote:Is that The Blob and Helen Crump to his right?

Yes, Hoosierdom is the incubator of Cool...Steve McQueen, James Dean, Chad Everett.
Don't forget the Hoosier Tornado...

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

I'm very fond of the Hoosier tornado. Do all these actors come from the same state?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'm very fond of the Hoosier tornado. Do all these actors come from the same state?
Yes...Indiana. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote:

. . David Letterman . . :roll:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Let's forget about Letterman (I can barely surpress an EEEEWWW), who is obviously the unacknowledged son of Alfred E. Neuman and a Troll doll.

I just love that photo of the McQ. He shouldn't have been so wary of being photographed when he wasn't smoldering. He's adorable. I'm having daydreams today of being cuddled up against that tee shirt (with him in it, of course). Aaahhhhh.
charliechaplinfan

That's a happy Steve McQueen, I'm not used to seeing him like that.

Carry on dreaming Judith, it's good for you :wink:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Love Steve...love the t-shirt...love the weather...

Hot, hot, hot...
\
B
klondike

Post by klondike »

After watching the man do his thing in cadre in The Magnificent Seven, 3 or 4 times a year, on average, thought I'd head back a different familiar road - re-watched the original Thomas Crown Affair . . and damn if the dude don't hold up . . !
Must be something to do, in part, with the name . . 'cause Butterfly was pretty cool, too!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Netfilx has "Wanted: Dead or Alive." Get all the young McQueen you want.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

One of the reasons I posted this McQ photo, aside from the fact that it's a great photo, is that I wondered what kind of response it would generate, if any. Glad to see that the (Cute) King of Cool can still make us sit up and take notice.